sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 26, 2021 12:09 pm  #1

Another CBC Show To Get U.S. Network Exposure On Fox

The Coronavirus has been a disaster, but it may be the best thing that ever happened to many Canadian TV shows. The shutdown in production has left networks down south scrambling for product and they've turned northward for a few fill-ins like Nurses, Transplant (NBC), The Trickster and Burden of Truth (The CW.)

Now Fox is tapping into into the Canuck pipeline by acquiring two seasons of the CBC's "Diggstown." No word yet on when it will run. 

Canada's Diggstown to Air on Fox

January 26, 2021 1:43 pm  #2

Re: Another CBC Show To Get U.S. Network Exposure On Fox

I think this is hilarious, all these so called CBC "make work" shows that many like to trash and that nobody watches in Canada are good enough for FOX and the CW.  And the CW has been regularly running CBC programming for years. 

January 26, 2021 1:47 pm  #3

paterson1 wrote:

I think this is hilarious, all these so called CBC "make work" shows that many like to trash and that nobody watches in Canada are good enough for FOX and the CW.  And the CW has been regularly running CBC programming for years. 

And none of our commercial broadcasters would probably put the same amount of effort and money into these programs as CBC does. 

January 26, 2021 4:01 pm  #4

ED1 wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

And none of our commercial broadcasters would probably put the same amount of effort and money into these programs as CBC does. 

Not sure about that, the commercial broadcasters are putting out some pretty good programming as well.  But CBC being the public broadcaster tends to get trashed more by a few on here, and I just think it is funny that a fair bit of their so called crappy programming is getting picked up American networks and streaming services.  And let's not forget about Schitts Creek.

Last edited by paterson1 (January 26, 2021 4:08 pm)

January 26, 2021 11:15 pm  #5

paterson1 wrote:

This programming only has value to U.S. networks when they have no other options. Last year, Fox ran a TV show where alleged celebrities react to other TV shows. To say they're scratching the bottom of the barrel would be putting things lightly.

In a non-COVID world, this series would continue to be ignored by mainstream U.S. platforms. Fewer than 200,000 people watched Diggstown live. That's likely the lowest audience out of any ongoing Canadian broadcast drama. I imagine that's why so many other shows were picked up in the U.S. before it. Nurses is a trashy show, but its ratings on Global were multiple times that.

Last edited by Retaw (January 26, 2021 11:16 pm)

January 27, 2021 5:03 pm  #6

So far Nurses on NBC hasn't been doing very well.  Last night only 1.6 million live viewers.  On Global it had ratings of 1-1.3 million. Don't know if I agree that after COVID Canadian programs will be ignored by the mainstream US platforms.  There is now and has been for the last few years much more cancon on US broadcast TV and streaming services than ever before, even prior to COVID.   And not shows shot in Canada, but shows set here. Coroner is heading into it's third season on CW and the ION Network has been programming a lot of cancon for years.  

Even programs like Schitt's Creek, while not overtly Canadian at all, in the US it was always understood to be a Canadian sitcom that was set in Canada and even reflected Canadian values.  It wasn't thought as much like that here. 

And FOX would be well aware of the poor ratings for Diggstown on CBC but that doesn't necessarily mean it will perform poorly on FOX.  Other than Murdoch and Heartland, CBC seems to have issues with most of their scripted shows. It easy to generalize and say that is because the shows are lousy which isn't totally correct. 

Part of the issue for CBC is awareness of these programs and the fact that they don't have the infrastructure like Bell or Corus to promote their shows. They don't have near the ability of cross promotion like Bell and Corus, even Rogers.  These private companies own many commercial radio and TV stations and multiple cable channels which they can use for any cross promotion. CBC often ends up buying radio  time on many of these stations and purchasing newspaper ads and billboards to promote their programming.

Last edited by paterson1 (January 27, 2021 5:04 pm)