sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 23, 2021 9:44 am  #1

Larry King Passes

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/23/arts/television/larry-king-dead.html

Last edited by Carl Patrick (January 23, 2021 10:37 am)

January 23, 2021 11:35 am  #2

Re: Larry King Passes

From CNN:

Last edited by Radiowiz (January 23, 2021 11:36 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 23, 2021 7:32 pm  #3

CNN has a one hour special on King at 9 PM Saturday night, if anyone wants to see it. 

January 23, 2021 9:44 pm  #4

As a night trucker from 86-2000, I spent many hours with Larry, and then later Art Bell. Both gone. R i p. I can hear in my mind Larry saying, Heaven, hello.

January 23, 2021 10:08 pm  #5

His all night radio talk show aired around here on the old WEBR, Buffalo at 970 AM. (Not the newly reconstituted former WJJL at 1440.)

Those were the days when you could actually get 970 clearly at night in Toronto. More and more Buffalo stations - either on AM or FM - no longer come in with listenable signals in the GTA, even during the daytime. 

The list of stations we used to be able to hear clearly is long, including WBUF-FM, WBLK-FM, WMSX-FM (once known as WJYE), WEDG-FM, WHTT-FM, WYRK-FM, WBEN-AM, WDCZ-AM (the former real WEBR 970), WUFO, WHLD, WWWS (former WYSL), WJJL (now WEBR) and WKBW. And I probably left some out.

Only WGR and the two superpowered FMs, WTSS & WDCX, are guaranteed to be listenable in Toronto,

I miss being able to hear all those stations clearly over the air here. I wonder how well our stations come in across the border and if they can no longer hear most of our locals. 

January 23, 2021 11:06 pm  #6

Larry King interviewed a hell of a lot of people, but one of his stranger interviews was with Jerry Seinfeld in 2007. King asked Seinfeld a question about how the show went off the air, and Seinfeld’s response was either him being really offended that King didn’t know anything about the show, or him doing a Seinfeld bit.

“Do you know who I am? Is this still CNN?”

It felt like something that could have happened on the actual sitcom. All that was missing was Uncle Leo walking onto the set.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (January 23, 2021 11:08 pm)

January 24, 2021 12:22 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

His all night radio talk show aired around here on the old WEBR, Buffalo at 970 AM. (Not the newly reconstituted former WJJL at 1440.)

Those were the days when you could actually get 970 clearly at night in Toronto. More and more Buffalo stations - either on AM or FM - no longer come in with listenable signals in the GTA, even during the daytime. 

The list of stations we used to be able to hear clearly is long, including WBUF-FM, WBLK-FM, WMSX-FM (once known as WJYE), WEDG-FM, WHTT-FM, WYRK-FM, WBEN-AM, WDCZ-AM (the former real WEBR 970), WUFO, WHLD, WWWS (former WYSL), WJJL (now WEBR) and WKBW. And I probably left some out.

Only WGR and the two superpowered FMs, WTSS & WDCX, are guaranteed to be listenable in Toronto,

I miss being able to hear all those stations clearly over the air here. I wonder how well our stations come in across the border and if they can no longer hear most of our locals. 

Larry King's radio show was on WBEN from 1978 - the year it started - until 1993 when it moved to daytime for a few months. I have no record of it ever being on WEBR 970.

http://www.billdulmage.com/skeds/buffalo/wben.html">http://web.archive.org/web/20041211132426/http://www.billdulmage.com/skeds/buffalo/wben.html

Last edited by Dale Patterson (January 24, 2021 12:44 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 24, 2021 1:03 am  #8

I have a cassette tape somewhere with two Larry King radio shows on it. I could have sworn it was WEBR but I could be mistaken. I will try to find them and confirm it either way. Although I learned long ago never to doubt Mr. Patterson's breadth of knowledge about local radio!

January 24, 2021 1:18 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

I have a cassette tape somewhere with two Larry King radio shows on it. I could have sworn it was WEBR but I could be mistaken. I will try to find them and confirm it either way. Although I learned long ago never to doubt Mr. Patterson's breadth of knowledge about local radio!

970 carried Al Wallack's jazz program during the late evening and overnight dayparts opposite King's show, which ran all on WBEN. I used to listen to King while driving home from my overnight sports shift at BN, which ended at 5 a.m.

CFRB also carried King's program for a time.

January 24, 2021 8:14 am  #10

I did not know WBEN's original call letters were WMAK. I also noticed a Chuck McCoy was working weekends there in 1989. Is that same McCoy who worked at CKFH and CHUM?

January 24, 2021 3:50 pm  #11

WEBR dropped its affiliation with the Mutual network during the 1960s so Buffalo no longer had a Mutual affiliate.
in 1975, WEBR was purchased by Western New York Public Broadcasting and became a public station.  In 1978,
WEBR became affiliated with NPR.  It was indeed WBEN that carried Larry King’s show.

January 24, 2021 7:35 pm  #12

mace wrote:

I did not know WBEN's original call letters were WMAK. I also noticed a Chuck McCoy was working weekends there in 1989. Is that same McCoy who worked at CKFH and CHUM?

Different person. He's now at Legends 102.7 in Rochester.

https://www.legends1027.com/show/chuck-mccoy/

Last edited by Dale Patterson (January 24, 2021 7:38 pm)

January 12, 2022 11:02 pm  #13

You might wonder why a year-old thread about the passing of Larry King is back. It turns out the FBI has been forced to released documents on a long unknown threat on his life, thanks to a Freedom of Information request. It happened when he was at the height of his fame and involves a seriously disturbed man, who kept contacting King by phone at his home (how he got the number isn't made clear) threatening him over "ruining his life."

The thing reads like a spy novel, with King eventually contacting the guy on the phone while the feds were listening, trying to figure out who he was and what prompted his bizarre allegations. It also reveals that King was afraid for his life as it was going on. 

You'll need to scroll down the first few pages to find it, but all in all, a chilling and very interesting read that you would normally never get to see. 

FBI Files On Larry King Released 

Last edited by RadioActive (January 12, 2022 11:13 pm)