sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 12, 2021 5:03 pm  #1

John "J.D." Roberts Going Back To His Anchor Roots On Fox News

Donald Trump isn't the only one leaving the White House. So is Canada's own John Roberts, who's exiting the prestigious beat to co-anchor a 1-3 PM news segment on Fox News.

Most here remember him as J.D. Roberts, a CHUM jock and later a MuchMusic VJ, before winding up as the late evening anchor for CityPulse Tonight.

Interesting to note the new line-up starts on Jan. 18th - just two days before Joe Biden is sworn in as U.S. President. 

Fox News Channel to launch revamped daytime programming lineup

January 12, 2021 5:31 pm  #2

Re: John "J.D." Roberts Going Back To His Anchor Roots On Fox News

And here are BBC newsreaders preforming All That Jazz from Chicago fronted by Fiona Bruce, who at the time was the anchor of BBC News at Six

Last edited by Hansa (January 12, 2021 5:34 pm)

January 12, 2021 5:33 pm  #3

I taped a fair bit of Much Music in the 1980's and have not revisited all of it but I have put some of it up on You Tube including these two interviews by JD Roberts:

Last edited by Fitz (January 12, 2021 5:35 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 12, 2021 8:04 pm  #4

Fox News is a black hole and his career disappeared into it.

January 12, 2021 9:10 pm  #5

Say what you will about J.D., but he did have the guts to stand up to Trump - at least once. And this was long before the relationship between The Donald and Fox News soured. 

Fox News ' John "J.D." Roberts Rips Trump Rep Over White Supremacy

January 12, 2021 9:59 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Say what you will about J.D., but he did have the guts to stand up to Trump - at least once. And this was long before the relationship between The Donald and Fox News soured. 

Fox News ' John "J.D." Roberts Rips Trump Rep Over White Supremacy

Well he didn't really stand up to Trump but rather his press secretary, and was frustrated by the negative tweets about him that followed from viewers.  And challenging Press Secretary Kayleigh McEnany over Trumps comments on something like white supremacy is kind of a no brainer.   JD was about the last mainstream journalist to do so.. The only reason he got some press, other than the hissy fit on air, was the fact that Robertson was working at Fox.  Big deal.

He also gave Trump a free ride for over three years with soft ball questions during press briefings and never challenged or pressed the president when he should have.  That's why Trump often went to Robertson and Fox for the first question.  Trump knew he would be given an easy ride.  John would be respected a lot more if he had announced that he was leaving Fox and had accepted a position at one of the other three US networks.  He would have fit in hosting the CBS Evening News.  They need help right now! 

January 12, 2021 10:08 pm  #7

J.D. Roberts was working at CBS before he jumped ship to CNN, then later to Fox. It was just around the time that the Eye Network's main anchor left and he thought the position should have gone to him.

When it didn't, he bolted for cable, where he remains to this day. Personally, I think he would have made a great anchor but the network chose to go another way. 

January 14, 2021 3:20 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Donald Trump isn't the only one leaving the White House. So is Canada's own John Roberts, who's exiting the prestigious beat to co-anchor a 1-3 PM news segment on Fox News.

Most here remember him as J.D. Roberts, a CHUM jock and later a MuchMusic VJ, before winding up as the late evening anchor for CityPulse Tonight.

Interesting to note the new line-up starts on Jan. 18th - just two days before Joe Biden is sworn in as U.S. President. 

Fox News Channel to launch revamped daytime programming lineup

Jim Acosta of CNN is also moving from the White House to the anchor desk as as well as a new title as "Chief Domestic Correspondent."  It looks like both networks are freshening things up for the new administration.

Last edited by Prod Guy (January 14, 2021 3:20 am)

January 14, 2021 5:17 am  #9

I find both FOX and CNN to be nearly unwatchable because of the obvious bias - FOX to the right and CNN to the left. CNN was much better when they kept news and editorial separate but that was a long time ago. FOX has been a lost cause since the beginning.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 14, 2021 12:42 pm  #10

Dale Patterson wrote:

I find both FOX and CNN to be nearly unwatchable because of the obvious bias - FOX to the right and CNN to the left. CNN was much better when they kept news and editorial separate but that was a long time ago. FOX has been a lost cause since the beginning.

My biggest issue with CNN these days is that they fixate on a single news story for hours at a time and pretend that nothing else is happening in the world, and much of the time is spent on commentary and not reporting actual news. At times, they've had 24/7 Coronavirus coverage. At other times, they've abandoned the pandemic, for example during the election. Living on the west coast I've occasionally caught CNN International after midnight PT, and it is completely different, it seems more like a news channel which includes news reports from different parts of the world.

I don't consume a lot of US news but I much prefer the nightly news from the big three, the PBS Newshour, or NPR's news.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (January 14, 2021 12:47 pm)

January 14, 2021 3:33 pm  #11

I have had the same thoughts and criticism for quite some time now.   The focus on just one or two stories has killed the traditional newscast on CNN.  I remember when they went full 24/7 covering Malaysian Flight 370 back in 2014.  This single topic mentality serves no one well.

In terms of what we are looking for,  I recommend Shepard Smith's new one hour newscast, if you get CNBC.  
It airs at 7:00 pm Eastern and he does a really good job of covering a wide range of not only domestic,  but international stories as well.  Unfortunately,  given CNBC's limited viewership,  the show's ratings are almost non-existent and I fear it will not last past the next network shakeup.  I would love to see NBC/MSNBC make use of his talents and just as importantly the show's current format.

Last edited by Media Observer (January 14, 2021 3:34 pm)

January 16, 2021 5:32 pm  #12

I hate CNN. I'm forced to watch it hours on end because my wife is American and what has been going on down there has understandably been very disturbing to her. As bad as FOX is, CNN does a great job of encouraging the paranoia and fear as well. Like it has been said here earlier, it's often the same story over and over. It's the same videos, the same interviews, the same talking heads being repeated ad nauseam. Most of the prognosticators don't have a clue as to what's going to happen. "Breaking News" is so old it is shattered. And, yes, watching CNN, you'd think the U.S. is the only country in the world and there is nothing else going on. Oh, and J.D. Roberts, he's as bing a putz as most of the FOX a-holes.

Last edited by alangee (January 16, 2021 5:34 pm)

January 16, 2021 8:31 pm  #13

alangee wrote:

I hate CNN. I'm forced to watch it hours on end because my wife is American and what has been going on down there has understandably been very disturbing to her. As bad as FOX is, CNN does a great job of encouraging the paranoia and fear as well. Like it has been said here earlier, it's often the same story over and over. It's the same videos, the same interviews, the same talking heads being repeated ad nauseam. Most of the prognosticators don't have a clue as to what's going to happen. "Breaking News" is so old it is shattered. And, yes, watching CNN, you'd think the U.S. is the only country in the world and there is nothing else going on. Oh, and J.D. Roberts, he's as bing a putz as most of the FOX a-holes.

Everything, and I mean everything on CNN is “breaking news”. They could have a story that broke 3 hours ago such as an announcement from Biden or an update to the Covid death toll and they present it as “breaking news” as if it’s just happening now. No, Wolf Blitzer, that’s not breaking news, it’s just news.

During the election, there was an urgent “key race alert” every time a new vote tally in some county was released.

I feel like the overuse of “breaking news” is a recent phenomenon. As recently as 2008 I remember it being reserved for major events such as the sudden death of Tim Russert, and not for every single story in the daily news cycle.

January 16, 2021 9:00 pm  #14

NBC Nightly News has caught the "Breaking News" disease. On its 6:30 PM newscast, every story - and I mean every story - in the first two packs seems to be labelled Breaking News - even if some of it happened the day before.

It cheapens the newscast and the phrase itself.  

January 16, 2021 11:27 pm  #15

you know it's getting bad when cable news stations air stories about the competition.

January 17, 2021 12:53 am  #16

the original hank wrote:

you know it's getting bad when cable news stations air stories about the competition.

If you ever watch the dueling media-centric shows at 11 AM Sunday (CNN's is called "Reliable Sources" while Fox's bears the name "Media Buzz") both spend much of their 60 minutes tearing the other network apart. Can't say I've ever seen anything quite like it.

January 17, 2021 4:21 am  #17

RadioActive wrote:

NBC Nightly News has caught the "Breaking News" disease. On its 6:30 PM newscast, every story - and I mean every story - in the first two packs seems to be labelled Breaking News - even if some of it happened the day before.

It cheapens the newscast and the phrase itself.  

Lester Holt seems to identify the real breaking news with "late details" which are usually things that have happened since the report you're about to watch was filed. They're usually less than an hour old.  During the Trump administration they have also done an updated west coast version of the newscast somewhat regularly.  It has a graphic that says "Western Edition" during the intro.

Last edited by Prod Guy (January 17, 2021 4:28 am)

January 17, 2021 12:23 pm  #18

After the election it was like every 10 minutes Wolf Blitzer would announce, "Joe Biden has 306 electoral votes. He needed 270 to win." Now every other person is announcing that the Senate needs 17 Republicans to vote for the president to be removed, followed by asking whomever, "Do you think 17 Republicans will go along with it'? Like anybody knows for sure.

January 17, 2021 3:10 pm  #19

in a news report, one of the rioters was spotted yelling "death to nancy pelosi, mike pence, and john roberts!" i wonder if john's drop in popularity (among a certain group) would have played a factor in deciding to head for the studio? perhaps not,

January 17, 2021 3:17 pm  #20

the original hank wrote:

in a news report, one of the rioters was spotted yelling "death to nancy pelosi, mike pence, and john roberts!" i wonder if john's drop in popularity (among a certain group) would have played a factor in deciding to head for the studio? perhaps not,

John Roberts, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court

January 17, 2021 8:56 pm  #21

RadioActive wrote:

the original hank wrote:

If you ever watch the dueling media-centric shows at 11 AM Sunday (CNN's is called "Reliable Sources" while Fox's bears the name "Media Buzz") both spend much of their 60 minutes tearing the other network apart. Can't say I've ever seen anything quite like it.

I actually watched part of Reliable Sources this morning, and I kid you not, a portion of the program was dedicated to CNN patting itself on the back for having the highest ratings among the three major cable news networks since the beginning of January. They even had a line graph comparing their ratings with MSNBC and FNC. It felt like an infomercial for CNN.

I can remember CFTO branding itself as Toronto’s #1 News many times, but I don’t ever remember them spending 5 minutes of a newscast showing how high their ratings are compared to the newscasts on CBLT, City or Global.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (January 17, 2021 8:58 pm)

January 19, 2021 3:03 pm  #22

Well JD's America Reports  program is off to a poor start in my opinion.  Joe Biden's emotional send off today
from Delaware was ignored by fair and balanced FOX News,  CNN, CTV, CBC even CP24 carried it live but FOX was into a nice five minute commercial break. Quite disrespectful and the third time in a week that FOX ignored covering a Biden event.  What a bunch of hacks....