sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 6, 2021 4:08 pm  #1

Every news channel, as well as all major networks have gone live.

Sedition in the US Capitol building. Madness.

What hath tRump wrought?

Last edited by Dial Twister (January 6, 2021 4:09 pm)

January 6, 2021 4:15 pm  #2

Re: Every news channel, as well as all major networks have gone live.

What an awful but fascinating news day this has turned into. 

I noted that none of the major broadcast networks - and CNN and MSNBC - covered Trump's speech. Only Fox News took the first hour live, cutting away only when the first objection was raised to the election results in the U.S. Capitol.

A shameful day that will go down not only in broadcast but American history. 

January 6, 2021 4:57 pm  #3

anyone want to argue against the use of the word "unprecedented" now?

January 6, 2021 5:33 pm  #4

Belarus???

January 6, 2021 6:52 pm  #5

RadioActive wrote:

What an awful but fascinating news day this has turned into. 

I noted that none of the major broadcast networks - and CNN and MSNBC - covered Trump's speech. Only Fox News took the first hour live, cutting away only when the first objection was raised to the election results in the U.S. Capitol.

A shameful day that will go down not only in broadcast but American history. 

CBC News Network carried a lot of his speech and were live. CTV News Channel, CP24, CNN as mentioned and even BBC World News did not have it on when I checked them a few times.  BBC is usually pretty good at covering events like this.

Last edited by paterson1 (January 6, 2021 6:54 pm)

January 6, 2021 6:58 pm  #6

Shepard Smith Demands CNBC Cut Off Trump’s Video Pushing Election Lie Amid Riots

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/stop-the-tape-shepard-smith-demands-cnbc-cut-off-trumps-video-pushing-election-lie-amid-riots/

Last edited by cash (January 6, 2021 6:59 pm)

January 6, 2021 9:17 pm  #7

Well, there goes prime time! NBC & ABC have continued with their non-stop coverage, while CBS has returned to regular programming at 8 PM. What does that mean for simulcasters like City TV, which was supposed to show all the NBC Chicago shows? They appear to be running them anyway, although whether they're the new episodes or not, I can't tell. 

CTV is supposed to have ABC's Who Wants To Be A Millionaire at 9 PM, but there's no way of knowing if it will wind up on both channels.

This unexpected event has turned the TV schedules upside down. If the Canadian stations do choose to air the new episodes that were scheduled, they will have a problem when they finally get broadcast down south, likely next week.  

Also interesting to hear GNR640 go frequently to CBS Radio News on an ongoing basis. It used to be the exclusive province of Bell Media, but for reasons I will never understand (probably financial knowing Bell) they switched to the vastly inferior NBC News Radio, which is all CFRB has for an American network back-up.  

Meanwhile, out of curiosity, I tuned into WABC, a hard right conservative station in New York. I was curious to hear how they were going to spin this. Marc Levin, a well known right-leaning host who believes the election-was-stolen story, insisted the people who invaded Congress on Wednesday did not represent Donald Trump, that they were fringe troublemakers who are not "like you or me, cause we wouldn't do this." (I'm frankly surprised he didn't try to blame the Democrats for setting it up!)

Oh, and by the way, Twitter has cut off Trump's account for at least the next 12 hours in what could be a permanent ban. That may be his worst punishment of all. 

All in all, a riveting and history making day of TV and radio both here and in the U.S.      

January 6, 2021 9:26 pm  #8

One last thing - you can tell how big this story was. No "Unemployment Law Show" on 640 Wednesday. Unless they haven't renewed for 2021, it would take something major to bump a sponsored program from the schedule.  

January 6, 2021 10:11 pm  #9

Well, instead of the normal simsub of ABC's Millionaire, CTV has gone to it's stash of Big Bang Theory episodes. I believe CITY is airing Chicago Wednesday repeats. I wonder what will happen to the west coast feeds at 11pm.

January 6, 2021 11:24 pm  #10

10pm- KOMO has gone to Wheel Of Fortune, KING running local news, KIRO still with CBS coverage.

January 7, 2021 12:37 am  #11

RadioActive wrote:

Well, there goes prime time! NBC & ABC have continued with their non-stop coverage, while CBS has returned to regular programming at 8 PM. What does that mean for simulcasters like City TV, which was supposed to show all the NBC Chicago shows? They appear to be running them anyway, although whether they're the new episodes or not, I can't tell. 

CTV is supposed to have ABC's Who Wants To Be A Millionaire at 9 PM, but there's no way of knowing if it will wind up on both channels.

This unexpected event has turned the TV schedules upside down. If the Canadian stations do choose to air the new episodes that were scheduled, they will have a problem when they finally get broadcast down south, likely next week.  

Also interesting to hear GNR640 go frequently to CBS Radio News on an ongoing basis. It used to be the exclusive province of Bell Media, but for reasons I will never understand (probably financial knowing Bell) they switched to the vastly inferior NBC News Radio, which is all CFRB has for an American network back-up.  

Meanwhile, out of curiosity, I tuned into WABC, a hard right conservative station in New York. I was curious to hear how they were going to spin this. Marc Levin, a well known right-leaning host who believes the election-was-stolen story, insisted the people who invaded Congress on Wednesday did not represent Donald Trump, that they were fringe troublemakers who are not "like you or me, cause we wouldn't do this." (I'm frankly surprised he didn't try to blame the Democrats for setting it up!)

Oh, and by the way, Twitter has cut off Trump's account for at least the next 12 hours in what could be a permanent ban. That may be his worst punishment of all. 

All in all, a riveting and history making day of TV and radio both here and in the U.S.      

Bell using NBC News Radio is certainly a cost cutting move.  NBC News Radio isn't run by NBC; it's run by Total Traffic & Weather Network, a division of iHeart Radio which Bell has licensed in Canada.

January 7, 2021 1:07 am  #12

I checked WCBS and it was running continuous coverage from the audio of CBS-TV.  I am thinking that maybe 640
was also using the CBS-TV audio since CBS radio’s news service consists of very brief news bytes a pale shadow
of what it used to be.  At times 680 had segments of continuous coverage from the audio of CNN.  Under its new
ownership, WABC is no longer affiliated with ABC news.  WBEN had segments of continuing coverage from ABC.

January 7, 2021 1:35 am  #13

I love it how the right wing talkers ignore the incendiary language used by Trump, Giuliani, Trump Jr etc at the 11 am rally today taking about combat etc. All of the fraud nonsense they have been going on about during the last two months culminated in this. That nonsense  was rejected in by at least 61 courts.

They talk about Trump derangement syndrome but the fears have proven true today.

What I don't understand is how the police was so unprepared today. Things have been different for the Black Lives Matter protests. Remember that day when Trump cleared the area around the White House and tear gas was used for his photo opp with the bible.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 7, 2021 4:16 pm  #14

mace wrote:

10pm- KOMO has gone to Wheel Of Fortune, KING running local news, KIRO still with CBS coverage.

From what I read elsewhere, KGO in San Francisco delayed Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune to 8-9pm PT, presumably holding onto the ABC News feed until 8.

There's a lot of discussion about Jeopardy pre-emptions on other boards, because this is the last week of Alex Trebek's new episodes from before he passed away. Some stations broke from network news coverage to air Jeopardy in its regular spot, others delayed it to an overnight slot, while still others bumped it to a sister station (e.g. WSBK in Boston airing it rather than the usual WBZ)

For those in Southwestern Ontario, WDIV will be airing last night's Jeopardy tonight at 7pm, in place of Wheel.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (January 7, 2021 4:22 pm)

January 7, 2021 9:40 pm  #15

The siege on the Capitol was terrible for the U.S. but great for the cable news networks. Amazing to consider that CNN had the most viewers ever in its long history. 

Networks See Spike In Viewers As Capitol Siege Played Out; CNN Has Most-Watched Day In Its History

January 8, 2021 9:22 am  #16

grilled.cheese wrote:

The moral of the story is bad things can happen as long as there is coverage of them.

The moral of the story is, thank god, there are reporters to tell us about the bad things that are happening.

January 8, 2021 10:11 pm  #17

mace wrote:

Well, instead of the normal simsub of ABC's Millionaire, CTV has gone to it's stash of Big Bang Theory episodes. I believe CITY is airing Chicago Wednesday repeats. I wonder what will happen to the west coast feeds at 11pm.

City gave me 45minutes of the new Chicago Med before switching to a rerun in the last quarter.

January 9, 2021 8:59 am  #18

Ian wrote:

mace wrote:

City gave me 45minutes of the new Chicago Med before switching to a rerun in the last quarter.

That must have been extremely frustrating. The NBC west coast feed were all repeats. A good general tip on the U.S. nets version of a scripted series, if you don't get the "Stay tuned for scenes from our next episode" that usually means next week's episode is a rerun or is preempted.                                                                                            

January 13, 2021 6:37 am  #19

Trump will become the first president in US history to be impeached twice today. Five republicans in congress  have committed so far to vote for it including Liz Chaney and more are expected to vote for it today. The NY times is reporting that Mitch McConnell feels that Trump has engaged impeachable actions  and so a conviction in the Senate is not out of the question but that still might be an uphill climb.

Bound to be another day filled with major news coverage arising out of what happened last Wednesday.

Last edited by Fitz (January 13, 2021 6:41 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 13, 2021 8:16 am  #20

Fitz wrote:

Trump will become the first president in US history to be impeached twice today.

"There is a cancer on the Presidency." John Dean, March 21, 1973.

As bad as that cancer was, today's cancer threatens to invoke civil war and has already incited insurrection. Forty-Eight years have transpired since John Dean's warning. Has America learned anything? Today, like so many days recently, should make for fascinating radio and TV.

January 13, 2021 9:36 am  #21

I'm guessing Jan.20 will be a huge audience day for the news channels. 

January 14, 2021 2:49 pm  #22

OK, enough with the cancel culture. This is just getting ridiculous. 

Macaulay Culkin Backs Calls To Remove Donald Trump From ‘Home Alone 2’ After Capitol Siege