sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 6, 2021 11:01 am  #1

Who Would You Nominate For An Ontario- Buffalo Radio Hall Of Fame?

I was reading an article in an L.A. newspaper in which the author wondered who his readers would put in a Southern California Radio Hall of Fame, if such an animal actually existed. He said he’d never received so many responses to a single column.

Never one to turn down (read: steal) a good idea, I’m curious who you think belongs in a Southern Ontario-Western New York (aka SOWNY) Radio Hall of Fame if such an entity were created.

I’m guessing there are a few no-brainers like Wally Crouter, Jay Nelson, Jack Dennett, Gordon Sinclair and Dick Smyth. But my other nominations would include John Donabie, because he managed to not only survive for decades in a fickle industry, but did just about every format you can think of – Top 40, Album Rock, Jazz, Country, even Talk. And he was great at all of them.

How about Jim Brady (In The Morning) from CFTR, who took on the mighty CHUM and eventually won?   

Another possible candidate to me would be Doug Thompson, for the work he did all those years at CHUM, among others places. As a former radio producer who could never hope to reach the calibre of work he did, there’s no reason to exclude those behind the scenes.

And certainly there’s no way to pass over the late, great Nevin Grant from CKOC, who fought for CanCon when many other radio stations battled tooth and nail against it. (I’m still not a fan of content regulation, but I will admit it worked – Canada’s music industry is thriving to the point I think the CRTC should consider removing the edict altogether. It accomplished what they wanted.)

I’m sure there are other worthy nominees I haven’t thought of. This city has seen (heard?) some pretty terrific talent on its airwaves over the years, some who never got the credit they deserved. If there were such a Hall, who would you want in it?

January 6, 2021 11:34 am  #2

Re: Who Would You Nominate For An Ontario- Buffalo Radio Hall Of Fame?

Roger Ashby for longevity
Marsden, because he is already in the Rock and Roll H of F, and on a personal note I was always a huge fan during his CHUM FM and CFNY days.   Sorry David, not old enough to have heard the CKEY time.
Tom Rivers because he was at CHUM at least 3 times, CFTR, and a number of other powerhouses both above and below the borders.
Allan Waters for giving us Rock and Roll Radio in Canada's biggest market, and because he was one of the finest people you would ever get a chance to work for.

Just a few off the top of my head, there are many more.

January 6, 2021 12:18 pm  #3

Max "Rawhide" Ferguson -- one very funny fucquer

January 6, 2021 12:50 pm  #4

Pete & Geets, aka Peter Griffin and David Haydu - they made me, and everyone else LAUGH alot and often!

YES - they may not have been the closest of friends away from a microphone, but that doesn't matter.

(picture credit to the Toronto Public Library)

While looking for a suitable picture I saw this;

(picture credit to Twitter)

I never knew CHUM FM once promoted themselves as being the "Spirit of 104". I do remember them saying They were both music for long hairs and LONG hairs (paraphrasing here) when they would switch formats from classical to rock every weekday at 6 PM. Anyone else remember their earliest days?

Last edited by DeepTracks (January 6, 2021 1:56 pm)

January 6, 2021 1:48 pm  #5

Now that you mention it...

Kristie Knight is more than worthy of being nominated.

'KK' made me laugh too. At the time of her beginning at 97.7, when Y108 was a rock station (of sorts) in Burlington, you could call that station's main number and be greeted with "Good (whatever) -  Y108". Kristie would call them, while live on-air, and respond to the greeting with - "Exactly?"

Last edited by DeepTracks (January 6, 2021 2:27 pm)

January 6, 2021 2:00 pm  #6

Evelyn Macko and Kym Geddes, too. 

How could I have forgotten Ashby and Marsden? If there was such a Hall, they'd be charter members for sure. 

Not to mention Rockin' Ray Michaels, Bob McAdorey, Bob Laine, Duff Roman, Keith Rich, Bob Holiday, Terry Steele and Tom Fulton. That's just scratching the surface.

January 6, 2021 3:56 pm  #7

Ingrid Schumacher

January 6, 2021 4:06 pm  #8

Nevin Grant

January 6, 2021 4:55 pm  #9

On the Buffalo side, Frank Benny, Sandy Beach, Hound Dog Lorenz, and of course, the great Joey Reynolds.  Oh, and Don Berns and George Hamberger,  who could go in on both the U.S. and Canada side. 

January 6, 2021 7:23 pm  #10

Just a few top of mind for me- Barbra Frum, Heather Hiscox who worked at CFOS, FM96 in London, Global Toronto, and CHCH before CBC, and CTV's Lisa Laflamme.  Bill Lawrence of CHCH and later CBC would be another for the Hall of Fame. Tom Cherington, Ken Welch and Norm Marshall of CHCH. Paul Hanover from CHML, CHUM's Daryl B and John Mahjor, Dave Devall, Tom Gibney, Christine Bentley and Ken Shaw all of CFTO. Long time CBC anchors Peter Mansbridge and Ian Hanomansing,  And finally the great Lloyd Robertson.

January 6, 2021 7:45 pm  #11

All of the aforementioned are definitely worthy, in addition to...

Les Horton (long-time engineer at CKOC)

Jack Lowe (long-time engineer at CKFH-CJCL)

Barry Nesbitt (CKFH manager for many years)

Allan Slaight (Canadian media giant whose many stops included CHUM)

Foster Hewitt (need I say more)

Edward S. Rogers (CFRB founder)

Ted Rogers (Rogers Communications CEO, President)

Betty Kennedy (multi-award winning CFRB host, former Senator)

Jack Dennett (long-time CFRB newscaster and HNIC host)

Tayler Parnaby (50-year career in radio included many years as newscaster and commentator at CFRB)

Robert Holiday (long-time broadcast vet should certainly be included)

Too many others to mention.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (January 7, 2021 1:37 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 6, 2021 10:45 pm  #12

paterson1 wrote:

Just a few top of mind for me- Barbra Frum, Heather Hiscox who worked at CFOS, FM96 in London, Global Toronto, and CHCH before CBC, and CTV's Lisa Laflamme.  Bill Lawrence of CHCH and later CBC would be another for the Hall of Fame. Tom Cherington, Ken Welch and Norm Marshall of CHCH. Paul Hanover from CHML, CHUM's Daryl B and John Mahjor, Dave Devall, Tom Gibney, Christine Bentley and Ken Shaw all of CFTO. Long time CBC anchors Peter Mansbridge and Ian Hanomansing,  And finally the great Lloyd Robertson.

If you're going to extend it to TV, then you have to add Mark Dailey!

January 6, 2021 11:36 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

If you're going to extend it to TV, then you have to add Mark Dailey!

Oh, sorry, should have read the fine print! I think all of them with the exception of Lisa Laflamme and maybe Christine Bentley and Bill Lawrence all had careers in radio first.  Didn't mean to change the direction of the Hall of Fame. 

January 6, 2021 11:52 pm  #14

That's OK. A lot of talented people worked in TV here and deserve mention. Many came from radio, including Dailey, who toiled for CHUM and Q107 before heading to City TV.

January 7, 2021 1:44 am  #15

Stateside, the Buffalo Broadcasters Association has an active Hall of Fame that's been inducting broadcasters in a variety of categories for two decades now. We don't have anything really comparable in Rochester - there was a Rochester Media Association for a few years but it fizzled out. 

Buffalo was a market where people stayed for entire careers back in the day, or where they'd really made it once they arrived. Aside from a few lifers, Rochester has tended to be a market you passed through on the way up, or maybe back through on the way down. 

A few names who ought to be automatic inductees from over here, though? On TV, Don Alhart, now the longest-running anchor in US local TV history (1966 to right now at WHAM-TV). Janet Lomax, pioneering Black female anchor at WHEC-TV. Gabe Dalmath, her longtime co-anchor there. From a much earlier era, Foster Brooks, who started here. 

On radio? Brother Wease, who's done morning radio for 40 years now. Andrew Langston, who founded WDKX, the city's first and only Black-owned station. Lawrence Hickson, the engineer who put the city's earliest stations on the air and gave his initials to WHEC (Hickson Electric Company). Gordon P. Brown, the founder and quirky owner of WSAY for more than 40 years. Jack Palvino, longtime DJ turned owner (WVOR/WHAM). That's just a start. 

January 7, 2021 1:46 am  #16

John Spragge (CHUM, CFRB)

Brian Henderson (CHUM)

Dick Smyth (CKLW, CHUM, CFTR, CFRB)

Many more of course.

January 7, 2021 1:49 am  #17

RadioActive wrote:

On the Buffalo side, Frank Benny, Sandy Beach, Hound Dog Lorenz, and of course, the great Joey Reynolds.  Oh, and Don Berns and George Hamberger,  who could go in on both the U.S. and Canada side. 

No need for a Buffalo radio-TV Hall of Fame as they already have one. But a Toronto, or southern Ontario, radio-TV Hall of Fame sounds like a good idea.

January 7, 2021 2:09 am  #18

Wes McKnight, Bill Stephenson, Lorne Greene, Jim Hunter, Walter Bowles, Ray Sonin Eddie Luther, Henry Shannon,
Joe Crysdale, Hal Kelly, Johnny Esaw, Gord Martineau, Earl Cameron, Alan Maitland, Allan McPhee, Ron Hewat,
Al Boliska, Don Daynard, Fred Napoli, Carl Banas, Don Parrish, Pat Murray, Bob McCown, Jim Hunt, Tom Cheek,
Don Chevrier, Moses Znaimer, Bob Hesketh, Jack Dawson, Bill Deegan, Lance Brown, Phil Stone, Wayne & Shuster,
Kate Aitken, The Happy Gang, Andy Barrie, Monty Hall, Pete McGarvey,Joe Morgan, Daryl Dahmer, John Spragge,,
 Bill McVean, Larry Solway, John Michael, John Otto, Van Miller, Rex Stimers, Peter Gross, Dick Beddoes, Don Cherry, Ron MacLean, Ward Cornell, Bob Cole, Joe Bowen, Gerry Howarth, Larry Henderson, Percy Saltzman.

January 7, 2021 7:01 am  #19

This election is rigged.  Bad things happen when our observers are not allowed in.   Never happened before.  Millions of mail-in ballots were sent to people's cats and dogs.   Did you know Fido didn't vote for me?    This is unacceptable

DT

January 7, 2021 7:56 am  #20

grilled.cheese wrote:

No women are worthy of the hall of fame?

Liz Janek and Dani Elwell.

January 7, 2021 12:02 pm  #21

Irv Weinstein, (Commander) Tom Jolls and Rick Azar - they're already in the Buffalo hall of fame but Irv and Commander Tom especially are legends in Toronto and the Golden Horseshoe as well. And hell, while we're on the topic of WKBW legends I'll add Dave Thomas (David Thomas Boreanaz - who later worked in Philly as Dave Roberts) of Rocketship 7 and Dialing for Dollars. 

January 7, 2021 12:16 pm  #22

Dale Patterson wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

No need for a Buffalo radio-TV Hall of Fame as they already have one. But a Toronto, or southern Ontario, radio-TV Hall of Fame sounds like a good idea.

I agree with Mr. Patterson.  Better just to stick with Toronto or Southern Ontario since Buffalo already has a well established Radio-TV Hall of Fame.  We would be duplicating something that is already there and confusing the issue. 

January 7, 2021 12:29 pm  #23

Doncha think there should be a limit, say, no more than three thousand, five hundred local superstars inducted in any given year?

January 7, 2021 1:48 pm  #24

I would nominate the two Rogers —— Toronto’s Roger Ashby and Buffalo’s Roger Christian.

January 7, 2021 3:41 pm  #25

fybush wrote:

Stateside, the Buffalo Broadcasters Association has an active Hall of Fame that's been inducting broadcasters in a variety of categories for two decades now. We don't have anything really comparable in Rochester - there was a Rochester Media Association for a few years but it fizzled out. 

Buffalo was a market where people stayed for entire careers back in the day, or where they'd really made it once they arrived. Aside from a few lifers, Rochester has tended to be a market you passed through on the way up, or maybe back through on the way down. 

A few names who ought to be automatic inductees from over here, though? On TV, Don Alhart, now the longest-running anchor in US local TV history (1966 to right now at WHAM-TV). Janet Lomax, pioneering Black female anchor at WHEC-TV. Gabe Dalmath, her longtime co-anchor there. From a much earlier era, Foster Brooks, who started here. 

On radio? Brother Wease, who's done morning radio for 40 years now. Andrew Langston, who founded WDKX, the city's first and only Black-owned station. Lawrence Hickson, the engineer who put the city's earliest stations on the air and gave his initials to WHEC (Hickson Electric Company). Gordon P. Brown, the founder and quirky owner of WSAY for more than 40 years. Jack Palvino, longtime DJ turned owner (WVOR/WHAM). That's just a start. 

Good choices Scott. I'd also add the late Roger McCall of WCMF, and maybe Bob Lonsberry of WHAM.

January 20, 2021 4:54 pm  #26

Chuck McCoy in Toronto. I loved his sound.

In Buffalo, the inimitable: Shane. Brother. Shane.