sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 4, 2021 8:14 pm  #1

Veteran Barrie Afternoon Drive Jock Leaving Radio To Become A Cop

Now there's quite a career change - playing the hits on an afternoon drive show in Barrie after years of trying to make it in the biz, only to leave for a new and entirely different gig - an OPP officer. That's what soon-to-be former KOOL-FM drivetime jock Darryl Mabley has on his next playlist.

I'm aware of a number of ex-police types (Cam Woolley, Steve Ryan, Mark Mendelson) who've retired for radio and TV careers, but not many who've gone the other way. (Although there was a City TV cameraman that left the biz to become a Toronto police constable. Not sure whatever happened to him, but I assume he's still on the force.) 

Longtime radio deejay holsters microphone for policing career 

January 4, 2021 8:24 pm  #2

Re: Veteran Barrie Afternoon Drive Jock Leaving Radio To Become A Cop

I'm honestly not sure if Bob Calihan from the CFTR hit music days became a cop or a Security guard, but one of the two is true.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 4, 2021 8:30 pm  #3

"After a little while doing that, he got a volunteer position doing overnight shift in the the 12 a.m. to 5 a.m. slot for the station."

Wow! When did anything but a college/community station stop paying people? I knew poor Mark Elliott wasn't being paid enough to cover gas to and from RB when he was doing his late night show and that other stations sell off overnight or off peak dayparts as brokered content but I didn't realise there were commercial stations that actually had people coming in doing overnight shifts for free. How common is that? 

Last edited by Hansa (January 4, 2021 8:32 pm)

January 4, 2021 9:19 pm  #4

Radiowiz wrote:

I'm honestly not sure if Bob Calihan from the CFTR hit music days became a cop or a Security guard, but one of the two is true.

He was also known as the Callahan Man on mix.99.9 and he became a detective at the Toronto Police Services:

You can hear about it on this podcast from 2017:

Toronto Mike

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 5, 2021 12:19 am  #5

RadioActive wrote:

I'm aware of a number of ex-police types (Cam Woolley, Steve Ryan, Mark Mendelson) who've retired for radio and TV careers

Also Terry David Mulligan, who left the RCMP in Alberta as a young man to get into radio back in the mid '60s. Had quite a career as a jock, TV personality and character actor. Still active at 39.

January 5, 2021 12:33 am  #6

The late great Mark Dailey used to claim he worked as a cop at one point. It wasn't always easy to know what was true and what was false. He also said he was a long haul truck driver and a baseball player. Not sure about those stories but he certainly had an amazing relationship with police and was great telling those tales.

January 5, 2021 9:14 pm  #7

I was standing outside CP one night when a Toronto cop rolled up just to tell me he worked at a Hamilton radio station before becoming a cop. Didn't get his name/station.  I also worked with a guy in Windsor radio who later became a cop. 

January 5, 2021 9:23 pm  #8

Ron Hall, who wrote the CHUM Chart book, was a cop.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

January 6, 2021 2:52 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

The late great Mark Dailey used to claim he worked as a cop at one point. It wasn't always easy to know what was true and what was false. He also said he was a long haul truck driver and a baseball player. Not sure about those stories but he certainly had an amazing relationship with police and was great telling those tales.

i'm guessing he was a cop at one time. hey, he often wore a fedora!... or maybe that's just a private eye thing?