sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 30, 2020 6:30 pm  #1

Gilligan's Island's "Mary Ann" Dies Of COVID

This one may hit baby boomers the hardest. Dawn Wells, who played the perky Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island, has passed from complications of COVID. She was one of the few stars left from that show (I believe Tina Louise, who played Ginger, is the last survivor of the main cast) and she parlayed that single role into something of a lifelong career.  

Wells was 82. 

Gilligan's Island actress Dawn Wells dies of Covid complications

December 31, 2020 5:30 am  #2

Re: Gilligan's Island's "Mary Ann" Dies Of COVID

From IMDB:

"The radio" seen in virtually every episode was a Packard-Bell AM Radio, Model AR-851. The small silver handle and telescoping antenna were added by the prop department (despite the fact that AM radios do not use telescoping antennas). The antenna was likely added to lend credence to the castaways' ability to pick up radio signals so far from civilization.

A-ha, so they were DXing.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 31, 2020 5:34 am  #3

Even though Dawn Wells is remembered almost exclusively for her role as "Mary Ann" on Gilligan's Island, she did have quite a few other roles during her career:

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0920171/

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 31, 2020 5:38 am  #4

Dale Patterson wrote:

From IMDB:

"The radio" seen in virtually every episode was a Packard-Bell AM Radio, Model AR-851. The small silver handle and telescoping antenna were added by the prop department (despite the fact that AM radios do not use telescoping antennas). The antenna was likely added to lend credence to the castaways' ability to pick up radio signals so far from civilization.

And the batteries never seemed to run out.   

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

December 31, 2020 7:16 am  #5

Paul Jeffries wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

From IMDB:

And the batteries never seemed to run out.   

PJ

Batteries? Who needs batteries? They had Gilligan! lol

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 31, 2020 9:09 am  #6

grilled.cheese wrote:

Did Gilligan's Island have one of the best TV theme songs ever?

it is one of three theme songs that I am sure most people know the lyrics too and could sing them immediately. The other two? Green Acres and the Beverly Hillbillies. As to whether it is one of the best theme songs ever? Maybe. Personally, I think Peter Gunn, M Squad, Hawaii 5-0 and The Streets of San Francisco are better. The pilot theme song for Gilligans Island has to be one of the worst. I think RA posted it earlier this year.

December 31, 2020 9:26 am  #7

In case you missed it, here it is. But you were probably wise to miss it in the first place! It's incredibly awful.

By the way, the Gilligan's Island theme song got into the news in 2020 for an entirely different reason. It's one of my favourite obscure stories of the year.

Judge Rules That Blaring The ‘Gilligan’s Island’ Theme Song At Neighbors Is Harassment

January 1, 2021 2:10 pm  #8

The worst part is, there is an Inside Edition video showing Dawn on Christmas Eve, seemingly healthy and i good spirits, having no idea of what awaited her in mere days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFrigIYOGhY

Cheers,
Jody Thornton