sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 29, 2020 12:42 pm  #1

CBC.ca Features Article On DXing

The story centres on a DXer in Finland who picked up the CBC's AM broadcasts from the Yukon. Not really that unusual, but it's a rare mainstream story on DXing.

It's a good catch, but it's happened before. I recall people in Europe reporting reception of WABC over the years when conditions were just right. 

From Yukon to Finland: CBC's radio signal heard from afar 

December 29, 2020 2:25 pm  #2

Re: CBC.ca Features Article On DXing

DXing from coastal Avalon Peninsula in Newfoundland, which offers nothing but ocean towards an area spanning from Brazil to Spain to Greenland, a few of us have had a helluva ride over the years. Logs include low-power pirates from Serbia, Netherlands and Greece on 1600-1700 portion of the AM band. South Africa, China, northern Russia, Iran, and pretty well every European country, plus much of Asia and Africa. Because of the northern latitude and general salt water surrounding us, we've also shot over the North Pole and heard the likes of Taiwan, Japan, South and NORTH Korea, etc. In the mornings we've also gone westwards and heard Washington State and vancouver, as well as various other western Canadians and some in the US out to California and Utah and such. I wrote about that in Radio World:

https://www.radioworld.com/news-and-business/dxers-ride-marconis-wavelength

Last edited by Saul (December 29, 2020 2:26 pm)

December 29, 2020 5:18 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

The story centres on a DXer in Finland who picked up the CBC's AM broadcasts from the Yukon. Not really that unusual, but it's a rare mainstream story on DXing.

It's a good catch, but it's happened before. I recall people in Europe reporting reception of WABC over the years when conditions were just right. 

From Yukon to Finland: CBC's radio signal heard from afar 

Based on the story it appears the Finnish DXer pulled in CBDN from Dawson City, which broadcasts a mere 400 watts on 560 kHz. I’m not a DX expert but that’s not a particularly strong signal on 560 compared to others out there; in Ontario there’s CFOS Owen Sound at 7.5 kW, but the strongest one in North America may be XESRD at 10 kW in Mexico’s Durango state. Of course Dawson is closer to Finland than Mexico.

Last edited by MJ Vancouver (December 29, 2020 5:26 pm)

December 29, 2020 8:00 pm  #4

Back in 1976 I was going to college for broadcasting and working part time at then CHYM AM.   We received some post cards and letters from a few communities in Sweden that had been listening to the station for about 5 days a week earlier.  They were picking us up loud and clear.  CHYM was still at 1490 and 5,000 watts at night.  Our new found Swedish listeners really enjoyed the music on CHYM and had taken the time to find out the mailing address of the station and send us a note.   I always thought was very cordial of them to do that.