sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 21, 2020 6:56 pm  #1

More Odds & Ends: Do You Remember These Record Stores?

I never know what I'm going to find in this house. Case in point - a box I just discovered that I haven't opened once since I moved here 30 years ago. This isn't strictly radio, but frankly, these may be the "Oh Wow" moment for some, who remember a few of these relics. (I'm also a relic, but no one remembers me!) 

So with apologies for my own indulgences, here in no particular order are a few more blasts from the past. As Jimmy Buffet notes in Margaritaville, "how they got here, I haven't a clue."

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER THEM? 

I suspect this is from my older sister, since I've never heard of this now long gone record store. And does the Glengarry Plaza still exist? 

Perhaps my sister bought this record there. I have no idea. Only the cover survives. 

Has anyone ever heard of these Canadian record labels as depicted on this 45 cover? I can't say I've ever heard of them. 

This one I do recall - it's the logo from a defunct department store in Lawrence Plaza that was part of a B.C. chain. It eventually became a Bay and I think now it's a Winners, although I haven't been there in a long time. Morgan's went out of business decades ago.

Here's a place I spent all too much time - and money. And I miss it to this day. 

Another place that ate a lot my money. And I'd gladly "dine" there again if I could. There was one at Dundas & Yonge and another at St. Clair and Yonge, if memory serves.

Another great record store that no longer exists.

A FEW OTHER LEFTOVERS

The Monkees were huge in 1966. Which may explain this book of their songs for guitar players. I never played a guitar so I have no idea why it's here.

And finally, perhaps the weirdest find of them all - a book that lets you sing along with Soupy Sales, one of the icons of 60s kids, who ran home to watch it everyday on CFTO at noon. 

There are also a few other things I couldn't scan - they're too large - including some movie promo material from a little known film called "Star Wars." I wonder if they're worth anything.  

December 21, 2020 7:26 pm  #2

Re: More Odds & Ends: Do You Remember These Record Stores?

Morgan's billed themselves as Canada's Quality Department Store and were the first department store to specialize with most of their locations in the suburbs in the 1950's.  They were based in Montreal and had five locations in Montreal, four in Toronto and one each in Hamilton and Ottawa.  The chain was bought by the Bay in 1960 but still kept the Morgan name until the summer of 1972 when the stores were converted to The Bay.  I remember the Morgan's store at Cloverdale Mall in Etobicoke and it was the original anchor store along with Dominion for the mall when it was built in 1956,  The big Hudson's Bay store in downtown Montreal was the original Morgan's which was built in the 1890's.

Last edited by paterson1 (December 21, 2020 7:48 pm)

December 21, 2020 7:30 pm  #3

Thanks for that. I was always told they were based in B.C. I remember going to the Lawrence Plaza site to buy my 45s, before Yorkdale was built. The price: 69 cents each. 

December 21, 2020 7:34 pm  #4

I suspect the Glengarry Plaza existed at the corner of Glengarry Ave. and Bathurst across from the Lawrence Plaza. There is an office/retail building on the site today. The only Morgan's Department store I remember was at Cloverdale Mall. I also remember the World's Biggest Book Store for their wide selection of tomes. And Lichtman's, where I would always purchase my weekly copy of Billboard.

December 21, 2020 8:04 pm  #5

Just up the street on Bathurst was Fred Rodden (Roden?)'s Record Store. It was there for years and I remember it because it was a must stop during Halloween trick or treating. Instead of candy, they gave out 45s!

Most of them were stiffs. But I remember one year when my neighbour received a copy of "A Summer Song" by Chad & Jeremy. An actual hit! I tried to get her to trade with me, but she wouldn't do it. Can't say I blame her. I think I got something by an artist named Mary Lou Collins.

December 21, 2020 9:28 pm  #6

Thinking back to the era of 45's, Sam The Record Man always sold them for .66 each. The Savette at the Dixie Plaza sold them for .77. In western Mississauga the average price rose to .88. In Oakville, where I grew up Kresge's and Lofquist's Record Bar sold them for 1.00 + tax. CHUM Charts were like gold in Oakville. The record stores in Oakville received a "limited" number of charts each week. You had to request a copy. They were never on display.

December 21, 2020 9:51 pm  #7

mace wrote:

Thinking back to the era of 45's, Sam The Record Man always sold them for .66 each. The Savette at the Dixie Plaza sold them for .77. In western Mississauga the average price rose to .88. In Oakville, where I grew up Kresge's and Lofquist's Record Bar sold them for 1.00 + tax. CHUM Charts were like gold in Oakville. The record stores in Oakville received a "limited" number of charts each week. You had to request a copy. They were never on display.

I used to go to Music World at Yorkdale in the mid-60s to get the CHUM (and later CKFH) charts. Given your experience, I'm ashamed to admit I grabbed handfuls of them every week, which may explain why I still have multiple copies of some of them. It seemed like a big deal at the time.  

December 22, 2020 10:03 am  #8

At Lofquist's Record Store, there was an abundance of CKFH, CKOC and CHAM or possibly CJJD charts available. CHUM Charts had to be requested. The two elderly ladies who ran the shop would play the 45 before you purchased it. This was the place where I discovered Billboard magazine. I had never seen a music chart with 100!!! songs on it.

December 22, 2020 10:28 am  #9

I spent hundreds of dollars buying imports and bootlegs from The Record Peddler when they were at 115 Queen Street East, just past The Electric Circus and before they moved up to Carlton. I used to buy the "Hot Wacks" magazine/bootleg catalogue to look at the prices others were paying (or asking) for the collectibles that were available.

[img]https://img.discogs.com/NgtDJ-elE2RipU0q_E6JPDj9A3w=/fit-in/300x300/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(40)/discogs-images/L-268780-1594408069-2354.jpeg.jpg[/img]
Ellen Foley, solo artist and duet singer w/Meatloaf, also of "Billie" fame on Night Court, on one of their covers.

Last edited by DeepTracks (December 22, 2020 10:36 am)

December 22, 2020 10:42 am  #10

Back in the early 80s, when they were still on Queen St. East, I accidentally discovered Kopps Kollectibles. I remember taking the streetcar over there after work one afternoon and met the owner, Martin Koppel. He literally had to throw me out of the store after a few hours because they were closing and I didn't want to leave. My head was exploding with what I found there.

What a great place it was in those days. Records I long thought were gone from the earth were in abundance and I couldn't pull myself away from it. I spent a small fortune there. 

I came back to the radio station the next day raving about the place, and pretty soon half the staff was finding their way out there. We wound up doing a few features on them, bringing them even more business. 

The thing I remember best, though, was mentioning to Martin a totally obscure song I'd heard when my family vacationed in Florida when I was a kid. I hadn't heard it or seen any evidence that it ever existed since then. He put up his finger in a "wait a second" gesture and disappeared into the basement. And he emerged five minutes later with about 20 copies of the 45. I almost lost my mind. For an obscure oldies fan, that store was a dream come true.

When they relocated to Queen West, it lost some of its charm.  But I always appreciated the fact it was there.

December 22, 2020 8:58 pm  #11

Annette - Train Of Love: why wouldn't that cover survive. Nice picture of her. She was hot!

I have records on the Regency, Delta and Warwick labels. Don't think I have any on Regis.

Interesting collection. Thanks for sharing.

December 22, 2020 11:05 pm  #12

I bought a lot of 45's at Kopps and Daddy Cool ( David Booth) also worked there. I went to their Danforth location in 2019 and I think Martin K's son was working there. Also visited the Record Peddler a lot. 

There was one store and I don't remember the name but I used to go there in the mid to late 1980's because they stocked some great magazines like Bucketful Full of Brains and Strange Things are Happening. I saw a copy of the Beach Boys Smile bootleg for the first time there but thought it was too expensive to buy and I did not. I still kick myself for that decision. The store was somewhere downtown I think. The magazines may have a sticker with the store name and one day I may look through those.

Here's two scans of outer sleeves from used albums that I purchased:

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

December 23, 2020 9:25 am  #13

Back in the early 80's, I found a mint condition copy of the Yardbirds LP Over Under Sideways Down in a Record On Wheels. Interesting, in the top left corner of the jacket was printed the following "RECORD RETAILERS: File Under Top Teen Hits"

December 23, 2020 9:33 am  #14

One of the lost joys of teenhood is browsing through a record store for an album (or more likely albums) you wanted to buy. I wasted more hours than I can count at Sam's, A&A's, Music World and the aforementioned Kop's Records. I'm not much of a shopping fan, but I actually miss being able to do that. Yes, it's a lot easier online now, but there's was something special about seeing the cover art and holding the physical record in your hand.

And then there was the occasional discovery of a bizarre LP you never heard of and just found by accident. I once discovered a history of TV album in the upper floors at Sam's. And as crazy as it sounds, it was a terrific record. I still have it to this day. 

One great thing about Kop's was they actually had turntables in the store with headphones, so you could listen before buying, making sure the "kollectible" you were purchasing was the original and the quality was good. A throwback to the old record shop days of the 50s, and I always thought it was a nice touch.

December 23, 2020 9:42 am  #15

Annette.  My first crush

December 23, 2020 10:23 am  #16

mace wrote:

Back in the early 80's, I found a mint condition copy of the Yardbirds LP Over Under Sideways Down in a Record On Wheels. Interesting, in the top left corner of the jacket was printed the following "RECORD RETAILERS: File Under Top Teen Hits"

That Yardbirds album had a cool cover with the 60's fonts and it was released in the UK and Europe with a different cover and title called "Roger The Engineer". I have "Roger" and thought mine may be an import but it's a Canadian 1983 release. So I guess they went with the UK title for the re-release.

[img]https://img.discogs.com/WQC4_K7KWg3un2DBStIITP6qBr0=/fit-in/600x602/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():quality(90)/discogs-images/R-2949286-1585655445-4205.jpeg.jpg[/img]

Cool Airchecks and More:

December 23, 2020 2:50 pm  #17

In the early 1980s, I worked at Lichtman's (pronounced Like-mans and owned by Gerry Ruby) at Bayview Village and occasionally downtown at Temperance & Yonge.  Different clientele at the two stores.  Downtown, I once had a gentleman come in and ask if we had the new Big Boobs magazine becuase last month's was still on the shelves.  Sure enough, no one had put the current issue out and it was still in the reserves in the back! LOL

Last edited by Leslieville Bill (December 23, 2020 2:53 pm)

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

December 23, 2020 6:21 pm  #18

Can't forget about A&A Records and Sam's on Yonge.  Both stores always busy and you could spend days in either store browsing at everything they had.  Other independent and smaller record shops dotted up and down Yonge and area.  Can't forget the record departments of Simpson's, Eaton's and Woolworth's either. Also in the photo a Toronto institution, the venerable Steele's Tavern once a favourite haunt of Gordon Lightfoot sandwiched right between two great record stores.   This photo spring 1970 from Torontoist and Chuckman's Toronto Postcard Collection. 

December 23, 2020 7:05 pm  #19

When Mace mentioned the File Under top Teen Groups that sounded familiar to me and so I looked at another  Yardbirds album I have and sure enough there is something similar on the top right hand corner. 

Was there ever such a category ?

This album is on Capitol and I looked at a few Beatles albums on Capitol  and it says File Under The Beatles.

Cool Airchecks and More:

December 23, 2020 8:28 pm  #20

paterson1 wrote:

Can't forget about A&A Records and Sam's on Yonge.  Both stores always busy and you could spend days in either store browsing at everything they had.  Other independent and smaller record shops dotted up and down Yonge and area.  Can't forget the record departments of Simpson's, Eaton's and Woolworth's either. Also in the photo a Toronto institution, the venerable Steele's Tavern once a favourite haunt of Gordon Lightfoot sandwiched right between two great record stores.   This photo spring 1970 from Torontoist and Chuckman's Toronto Postcard Collection. 

I believe the Steeles Tavern closed around 1974 and became a Thrifty's clothing store.

December 23, 2020 9:39 pm  #21

I vaguely remember that Thrifty's  and I just confirmed via google that the store did replace the Tavern. Not sure if that is the place I got the bag below which I have been using for many years to keep old scratchy 45's that do not have a sleeve:

Last edited by Fitz (December 23, 2020 9:39 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

December 23, 2020 9:43 pm  #22

Wow. And here I thought I was the only one crazy enough to save a few of these iconic logo-filled bags.  

December 24, 2020 8:22 am  #23

RadioActive wrote:

Wow. And here I thought I was the only one crazy enough to save a few of these iconic logo-filled bags.  

What's bizarre about the whole Thrifty's angle is that I have I have stored  sleeve-less 45's in that bag for probably over 40 years and never realized the possible connection to Sam's. I also spent a lot of time at that part of Yonge St with the record stores and I believe Peter Dunn's Vinyl Museum was just a few buildings north of Sam's.

The Tower Records near the Eaton's Centre came much later but I have held on to on of their bags as well.

Cool Airchecks and More:

December 24, 2020 9:03 am  #24

One more bag. This looks like a generic bag and may have been used by multiple stores but what i remember is that it was used at the first record store that I used to get 45's from and where I got my first CHUM charts. In the Thorncliffe Mall and I think that was only the second covered mall in the area after Yorkdale.

What I don't know is if this bag is a relic from that store or if I picked it up later at some point but I have had it for a long time:

Cool Airchecks and More:

December 24, 2020 10:23 am  #25

People must think we're crazy keeping this stuff, but it really does evoke a different world and places that are long gone. 

You might find this Facebook Page called Vintage Toronto of interest. 

Speaking of odds and ends, I recently came across some very old magazines stacked high up in a closet. (Honestly, I don't even remember putting them there.) Some of the ads in them have nothing to do with radio but a few made me laugh out loud. They range in age from 1954 to 1964. And I saved the best one (about radio) for last. Hope someone enjoys them as much as I did.  

Child's Play

I can't conceive of any parent in today's day and age of pedophiles waiting around every corner sending a pic of their infant kids to complete strangers. But plenty did back in 1954. I find it creepy. 

Who Wrote The Book Of Love?

Apparently a bunch of doctors, that's who. Not only are the authors so-called experts in the subject but there's a bonus - many of the illustrations are in "life-like" colour!

Made From "Scratch"

I'm not even sure it's possible to itch to death, but here's the claim anyway. 

Douches Wild

Well, if the nurses say it's OK, then I'm sold. 

No Strings Attached

The fact there are no strings attached may explain why you get this for just $2.98!

Black & White In Colour

Amazing to think anyone thought this thing would work. 

You Can't Beat It

Well, actually if what they say in the ad is true, you can. And you can keep your wallet there, too. 

All The Hits For None Of The Money

Remember record clubs? You could get 300 free albums as long as you promised to sell your first born every month. Or something like that. I never knew the Beatles were part of the marketing for Capitol's club. But it shouldn't really comes as any surprise. And don't forget your surfin' safari. 

So THAT'S How You Break Into The Biz!

And finally, probably my favourite of all of them. Forget all those years interning or going to broadcasting school. Here's how you make it big on the air. 

December 24, 2020 2:42 pm  #26

Kellys Music and Records, Vancouver.   

December 24, 2020 6:55 pm  #27

Sam the Interactive man had a very short life inside Sam the record man back in the early 90's. 
Anybody remember that?

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.