sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 18, 2020 4:55 pm  #1

"The Prisoner" On CHCH

I was channel hopping during a break in the noon news,  when I came across this Patrick McGoohan classic on CHCH. Turns out it was Episode 1 and will run in the 12-1 slot Monday through Friday.  Personally,  I enjoyed watching it again.

The station always seems to go the extra mile in airing shows that are not usually shown over the airwaves. 

The complete series only consists of 17 episodes,  so it will be a short run;   although CHCH does air some series (Mission Impossible etc.) more than once.

Last edited by Media Observer (December 18, 2020 5:55 pm)

December 18, 2020 5:09 pm  #2

Re: "The Prisoner" On CHCH

One of my favourite cult classics of all time, although I'm still not sure about that bizarre final episode! 

If you don't want to wait to watch it all on CHCH, it's streaming for free on Tubi.tv, and it's not geoblocked. 

Be seeing you...

The Prisoner on Tubi

December 18, 2020 7:44 pm  #3

I was a big Patrick McGoohan fan back in the day. One of his last movie appearances was portraying the English King in BRAVEHEART. 
Now, The Prisoner. My wife and I visited the town of Port Marion, North Wales, back in 2017.
The entire set of  THE PRISONER  is still in just about the exact same condition as it was back
in 1966/67. The massive chess board is kept in pristine condition. The colourful little cottages, and other buildings, are quite interesting to see. He also co-created the show.
Great actor indeed.
Cheers everyone.

December 19, 2020 10:45 am  #4

I missed the first episode on Friday and even though I own all the episodes, I'm still curious as to how the timing was handled and whether the beginning and end credits were compressed.    It's still nice to see these old chestnuts on broadcast TV.

Oh yeah, the original Hawaii  5-0 starts on Wednesday at 1:00 as Mission Impossible's run ends.

RadioActive wrote:

Be seeing you... 

...And you.

Last edited by Peter the K (December 19, 2020 10:45 am)

December 19, 2020 1:51 pm  #5

I've noticed that The Prisoner is also available on Shoutfactory tv as well. Haven't tried to watch any episodes yet. I've been working my way through The Saint series.

December 19, 2020 2:14 pm  #6

Norman peters wrote:

I've noticed that The Prisoner is also available on Shoutfactory tv as well. Haven't tried to watch any episodes yet. I've been working my way through The Saint series.

Shoutfactory is great.  It's where I snagged all 4 seasons of The Paper Chase. 
https://www.shoutfactory.com/search?q=paper%20chase

John Houseman was born to play Professor Kingsfield.

December 20, 2020 11:50 am  #7

WAY back in the day, WNED ran The Prisoner as well.

December 20, 2020 12:32 pm  #8

I hope they will air  The Rockford Files and the original Magnum PI in the future. 

December 20, 2020 3:31 pm  #9

I have been watching the original The Outer Limits on Dailymotion. 

December 20, 2020 3:42 pm  #10

The Outer Limits, Rockford Files and The Prisoner [17 episodes] are all available on Uncle Earl's Classic TV Channel. Magnum is not.

December 20, 2020 7:44 pm  #11

In the the last few weeks, I've been getting a threat warning from my anti-virus program about the ustvgo website having a phishing threat that could cause me big trouble. Sometimes I go to the site with no issues, other times the anti-virus program stops me. Uncle  Earls classic tv has been intermittently blocked by my browser ( Firefox) as a potential dangerous site. It's only happening this way. Firefox hasn't warned me about ustvgo, nor does my AVG anti-virus program ( free version)  warn me about Uncle Earls being a dangerous site.I'm wondering if anyone else is having issues with either of these sites. A friend who is fairly knowledgeable about computers. and fairly cynical, said ( sarcastically I hope) that my anti-virus program is throwing me a curve ball for some of my most frequently visited sites so I will upgrade to their full protection version.

December 20, 2020 8:12 pm  #12

I just visited the Uncle Earl site and got no warning off my Norton. So I'm not sure what's going on with your system. (As long as it doesn't go off with SOWNY!) Do you have the latest virus definitions?

December 20, 2020 9:05 pm  #13

Just tried Uncle Earl's site, and got there without any issues. Yet AVG anti-virus gave me the 'Danger, danger Will Robinson' warning about the ustvgo site.I did have a program update for my AVG anti virus a few weeks ago.Thankfully, I've never had any problems  getting to SOWNY, or any of the related links here  The perils and pitfalls of trying navigate the internet..

Last edited by Norman peters (December 20, 2020 9:07 pm)

December 20, 2020 10:25 pm  #14

The Prisoner also aired on TVOntario back in the day. In order for it to qualify as educational, they had Warner Troyer do pre and post-episode analysis (later, they did the same with Dr. Who using Jim Dator and Judith Merrill).

TVO also produced this great interview with Patrick McGoohan, puffing away with Warner in a Toronto studio full of Prisoner fans. Top stuff!

December 20, 2020 11:13 pm  #15

Great interview from TVO. I had forgotten about Secret Agent ( Danger man). Anyway after the interview I wanted to watch the last episode of the Prisoner and went to Uncle Earl's and got a warning message. Never had that before. I'll try to watch it elsewhere.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

December 20, 2020 11:27 pm  #16

CHCH brought back St. Elsewhere and Hill Street Blues for a while - two of my favourite shows. I love to see them bring back "Nowhere Man", a mostly forgotten but fascinating series from the '90s starring Bruce Greenwood. Anyone remember it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nowhere_Man_(American_TV_series)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

December 21, 2020 1:24 am  #17

I have never had any problems with the Uncle Earl's site. Occasionally, I get a site not available note for the ustvgo site. Usually the site works after the 2nd or 3rd attempt. However, some channels are blocked if you do not have a Nord VPN.

December 21, 2020 7:57 pm  #18

Media Observer wrote:

I was channel hopping during a break in the noon news,  when I came across this Patrick McGoohan classic on CHCH. Turns out it was Episode 1 and will run in the 12-1 slot Monday through Friday.  Personally,  I enjoyed watching it again.

The station always seems to go the extra mile in airing shows that are not usually shown over the airwaves. 

The complete series only consists of 17 episodes,  so it will be a short run;   although CHCH does air some series (Mission Impossible etc.) more than once.

I'd long forgotten that someone went to Portmeirion, Wales (where the infamous "Village" was located) and brought me back this T-shirt. It never really fit right, but I suppose that's perfect for this show!

December 21, 2020 10:32 pm  #19

That shirt actually works for what we're going through now!

December 23, 2020 4:10 pm  #20

They also offered free Prisoner Puzzle booklets to viewers.