sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 19, 2020 11:47 am  #1

Thanks for the memories Much Music

Looks like Much Music (MUCH) is history on cable.

Noticed that MUCH is no longer on my cable line up.  It has been replaced by AXS TV which is a US based music channel.  AXS was owned by Mark Cuban of Shark Tank fame and he remains CEO of the company. AXS is now majority owned by Anthem Entertainment which is based in Toronto.  Headquarters for AXS is in Denver.

The station appears to be mostly music oriented with documentaries and shows like Rock Legends, The Ritchie Blackmore Story, Top Ten Revealed and AXS Insider.  Also lots of music concerts featured today-Stevie Nicks, Heart, Sheryl Crow, Alanis Morissette.

MUCH is still on line, but it looks like the channel itself is gone on cable.  The station had a run of over 36 years and in the 80's into the early 2000's was a huge influence on music and fashion trends.  For a few decades Much Music truly was "The Nation's Music Station".

December 19, 2020 12:50 pm  #2

Re: Thanks for the memories Much Music

paterson1 wrote:

Noticed that MUCH is no longer on my cable line up.  It has been replaced by AXS TV which is a US based music channel.  AXS was owned by Mark Cuban of Shark Tank fame and he remains CEO of the company. AXS is now majority owned by Anthem Entertainment which is based in Toronto.  Headquarters for AXS is in Denver.

The station appears to be mostly music oriented with documentaries and shows like Rock Legends, The Ritchie Blackmore Story, Top Ten Revealed and AXS Insider.  Also lots of music concerts featured today-Stevie Nicks, Heart, Sheryl Crow, Alanis Morissette.

MUCH is still on line, but it looks like the channel itself is gone on cable.  The station had a run of over 36 years and in the 80's into the early 2000's was a huge influence on music and fashion trends.  For a few decades Much Music truly was "The Nation's Music Station".

Probably a local change to the cable lineup. I just checked and Much is still very much alive and well on Shaw here in Vancouver.

December 19, 2020 2:45 pm  #3

MJ Vancouver wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

Probably a local change to the cable lineup. I just checked and Much is still very much alive and well on Shaw here in Vancouver.

You are right, I thought AXS had replaced it but it is still there.  Even though I don't subscribe to it any longer, it was still showing up at 1570.  There are a lot of channels in free preview right now too.

As Rosanne Roseannadanna would say...NEVER MIND... Sorry for the confusion...

Last edited by paterson1 (December 19, 2020 3:08 pm)

December 19, 2020 3:54 pm  #4

Where is AXS located in the channel line up? 
It might be that Much had multiple locations. 
Much is currently airing a Friends marathon.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 19, 2020 4:55 pm  #5

On Bell Fibe it is on 1571 or 571. It's in free preview right now.  I think it just launched yesterday. Playing a Heart concert right now. 

December 19, 2020 8:23 pm  #6

paterson1 wrote:

You are right, I thought AXS had replaced it but it is still there.  Even though I don't subscribe to it any longer, it was still showing up at 1570.  There are a lot of channels in free preview right now too.

As Rosanne Roseannadanna would say...NEVER MIND... Sorry for the confusion...

The obituary still seemed fitting, given that the MuchMusic most of us knew and grew up with died a long time ago.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

December 19, 2020 10:34 pm  #7

I get MUCH on ch 29 on Rogers Toronto, and yes they are indeed running a Friends marathon.

December 20, 2020 11:06 am  #8

"Reinvention of the VJ with Erica Ehm" is a new podcast from former MuchMusic VJ/personality Erica Ehm.

Each episode has in depth conversations with former MuchMusic VJs from the 80s and 90s....

if anyone is interested...  check it out.

December 22, 2020 11:30 am  #9

If MUCH is gone im fine with that.  As noted above, I think its soul died decades ago.

I did see a glimpse of AXS tv on my parents bell line up.  It looks fantastic to me according to the schedule!

December 22, 2020 2:45 pm  #10

markow202 wrote:

If MUCH is gone im fine with that.  As noted above, I think its soul died decades ago.

I did see a glimpse of AXS tv on my parents bell line up.  It looks fantastic to me according to the schedule!

I have been watching AXS as well and I agree, it is pretty good.  Except they just play promos in their breaks with no commercials, sort of the Paramount TV.  The same few promos get tedious pretty quick.   On their original produced shows they should cut down the number of breaks and have longer segments especially with concerts.

Overall it is a good channel, not sure I would purchase it.  Still wondering if something is going on with MUCH since Bell has not been promoting the channel at all, and it is vanished from my Bell Fibe lineup, even though MTV and MTV2 still show.  I don't subscribe to these either but it was only MUCH that was removed at channel 1570.

December 22, 2020 3:16 pm  #11

paterson1 wrote:

[Still wondering if something is going on with MUCH since Bell has not been promoting the channel at all, and it is vanished from my Bell Fibe lineup, even though MTV and MTV2 still show.  I don't subscribe to these either but it was only MUCH that was removed at channel 1570.

Much is still on my Fibe lineup - channel 1570

December 22, 2020 3:30 pm  #12

In Phase wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

[Still wondering if something is going on with MUCH since Bell has not been promoting the channel at all, and it is vanished from my Bell Fibe lineup, even though MTV and MTV2 still show.  I don't subscribe to these either but it was only MUCH that was removed at channel 1570.

That's strange, do you subscribe to MUCH or is it just the graphic showing up on 1570?  I haven't subscribed for years but it was always showing up on the grid.  Now 1570 is gone,  and showing AXS instead at 1571 which I am enjoying on free preview.  MTV and MTV2 still show on the grid even though I don't subscribe to those either.  That's why I thought maybe MUCH had gone dark or had been replaced by AXS next door at 1571.  Thanks for the info.

December 22, 2020 4:01 pm  #13

paterson1 wrote:

In Phase wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

That's strange, do you subscribe to MUCH or is it just the graphic showing up on 1570?  I haven't subscribed for years but it was always showing up on the grid.  Now 1570 is gone,  and showing AXS instead at 1571 which I am enjoying on free preview.  MTV and MTV2 still show on the grid even though I don't subscribe to those either.  That's why I thought maybe MUCH had gone dark or had been replaced by AXS next door at 1571.  Thanks for the info.

We don't subscribe to Much specifically but we have Bell's Fibe "Better TV package" and it includes Much (although today it should be called LESS). 

AXSTV, MTV, and MTV2 are also available and working.

December 22, 2020 4:52 pm  #14

Best channel is Stingray Retro