sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 16, 2020 6:30 pm  #31

Re: Rare DX Opportunity Won't Last Long

The reception of 680 here in Etobicoke is still hit or miss.  Its usually super "clear" but now its a bit difficult.  

December 16, 2020 7:12 pm  #32

markow202 wrote:

The reception of 680 here in Etobicoke is still hit or miss.  Its usually super "clear" but now its a bit difficult.  

Maybe Rogers may possibly open an FM repeater to simulcast 680 News or as "CityNews" in Toronto like what they did to the Rogers-owned AM 1310 in Ottawa. 

December 16, 2020 7:15 pm  #33

Where in the world would they put it on the GTA's overcrowded FM dial? 

December 16, 2020 7:19 pm  #34

RadioActive wrote:

Nowhere worthwhile currently. If ownership limits get relaxed at the upcoming CRTC radio review, multiple options will present themselves.

December 16, 2020 8:06 pm  #35

RadioActive wrote:

Good question unless, Rogers drops KiSS 92.5 CKIS-FM and uses it as a simulcast of 680 News. There's already a CHR station in Toronto as Virgin Radio on 99.9 CKFM-FM and CIDC-FM Z103.5 out of Orangeville. I would hate to see CHFI-FM 98.1 lose their longtime heritage ac station!

December 17, 2020 11:41 am  #36

I can't see Rogers dumping their "Perfect Music Mix" format on CHFI.

December 17, 2020 11:48 am  #37

mace wrote:

CHFI is back and forth with BOOM and now Q107 as Toronto's most popular and listened to music station.   CHFI is too popular, successful and makes too much money for Rogers to do anything that would change that.   

December 17, 2020 1:23 pm  #38

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Nowhere worthwhile currently. If ownership limits get relaxed at the upcoming CRTC radio review, multiple options will present themselves.

I see some logic in arguing that a repeater FM is not a third FM in ownership. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

December 17, 2020 1:57 pm  #39

paterson1 wrote:

mace wrote:

CHFI is back and forth with BOOM and now Q107 as Toronto's most popular and listened to music station.   CHFI is too popular, successful and makes too much money for Rogers to do anything that would change that.   

Won't happen on 92.5 either. The increase in revenue from putting it there would have be greater than Kiss's current profit. That math would be nowhere close to working, currently.

December 18, 2020 6:20 pm  #40

When I worked at TR in the early seventies our transmitter and antenna array was located at Hwy 10 and Burnamthorpe.  It had thirteen towers, which sounds like an excessive amount but were necessary to control the signal pattern.  During the day CFTR was limited to 10,000 watts and the pattern was such to protect a station that was in Rochester N.Y. on 680.  At sunset, the Rochester station would sign off and at that time the board op at TR would walk to the racks at the back of the control room and push a button on the Nichols unit to change the coverage  to an omni directional pattern.  The power would then be increased to 50,000 watts.  At sunrise, it would be returned to 10,000 watts if the op remembered!  I recall the occasional phone call from that station in a panic complaining that we forgot to drop the power.  At 50,000 watts we just obliterated them.

December 18, 2020 10:07 pm  #41

Glen Warren wrote:

CBLT Toronto had to move off of RF TV 6 in September of 1972.  This was done to make way for the Global Television Network launch in January 1974. Global's main CKGN transmitter was at Paris (Ayr) was assigned to RF TV 6.  (Global had transmitter build / test occurring in the fall of 1973).

IIRC, at about the same time, Ottawa's CJOH was granted a licence to operate a repeater of CJOH on RF TV 6 located in Desoronto.

Global also had the licence for the Hull repeater assigned to operate on RF TV 6 from Hull (but at considerably lower power).

I also used to be able to "pick-up" Global Paris audio on my Candle/Jutan "component stereo" (don't laugh...  Candle was pretty high tech sound for an eleven year old !!!  THD...  whats that?  2-way speakers with what seemed liked 28 gauge speaker wire...  a true quality build!!!).

RF  TV 6 is the highest TV channel in the VHF low band, before the FM radio band. RF TV 7 - 13 are after FM 108 for the VHF high band...

I think Bell/CTV shut down the analog CJOH repeater at Desoronto this past spring or summer....

I can remember listening to The Big Bang Theory on 87.7 FM driving in the Kingston area one time. I thought of it as listening to a CBS Radio comedy programme.

December 18, 2020 11:08 pm  #42

Citypulse News 15 wrote:

When I worked at TR in the early seventies our transmitter and antenna array was located at Hwy 10 and Burnamthorpe. It had thirteen towers, which sounds like an excessive amount but were necessary to control the signal pattern. During the day CFTR was limited to 10,000 watts and the pattern was such to protect a station that was in Rochester N.Y. on 680. At sunset, the Rochester station would sign off and at that time the board op at TR would walk to the racks at the back of the control room and push a button on the Nichols unit to change the coverage to an omni directional pattern. The power would then be increased to 50,000 watts. At sunrise, it would be returned to 10,000 watts if the op remembered! I recall the occasional phone call from that station in a panic complaining that we forgot to drop the power. At 50,000 watts we just obliterated them.

December 19, 2020 2:16 am  #43

Yeah that's it!!

Last edited by Citypulse News 15 (December 19, 2020 2:20 am)