sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 8, 2020 2:03 pm  #1

CTV's Nathan Downer Clicks With Audiences - & That's The Problem

I have no problem with CTV Toronto news anchor Nathan Downer overall, other than he occasionally mispronounces a road name or a neighbourhood. I'm not sure if he's originally from Toronto and lot of people get things like Balliol St. wrong.

But on Tuesday, I noticed a repeat of a bizarre nervous habit that he may not even be aware of. Whenever Downer does a live interview with someone, as happens frequently on the noon show which has more time to fill, you can hear towards the end of someone's answer a distinctive clicking sound that gets progressively more common as the back and forth goes on. 

I believe it's Downer, who may not even realize he has a habit of constantly clicking the pen he's holding, and it's kind of amusing to hear it speed up as the on-air interview continues. "Click click," you hear at first, sometimes a few times. Then, "clickety-clickety-clickety-clickety-clickety" as he's given the wrap sign. 

I'm pretty sure it emanates from him because a) it only happens when's conducting the Q&A and b) when they go back on camera, you can see he's holding a pen.

I'm guessing neither he nor the crew realize this is audible on air. But it happened twice on Tuesday and I've noticed it before. Perhaps the next time he's doing a debrief, he should put the pen down. Because he may be clicking with an entirely unintended audience. 

December 8, 2020 3:37 pm  #2

Re: CTV's Nathan Downer Clicks With Audiences - & That's The Problem

Not quite the same thing but I saw the Fresh Prince of Bel Air reunion and there was some ribbing of Will Smith over the fact that for the first six episodes of the series he was so nervous about never having acted before and getting it right that he memorized everyone's lines and can be seen mouthing the other actors' lines while they're performing. Finally, he was told to cut it out and stopped. Just another example of an unconscious habit you don't realize you have (or that other people are noticing) until it's pointed out to you. 

December 8, 2020 3:50 pm  #3

RB's Ryan Doyle is guilty of getting into a bad habit. At the end of every interview he says the exact same thing. "We thank you for taking the time today." 

Now, there's nothing wrong with that, of course. Except he says it every single time, often dozens of times in a single show. He's slipped into a habit he may not even be aware of. And after awhile it becomes so noticeable you can say it along with him.  

But look, I point this out not to criticize but hopefully to alert. Because I'm just as guilty as anyone. A long time ago, I used to do a late evening talk show on a station that, frankly, no one really listened to. I got into the unfortunate habit of saying goodbye to callers by uttering the phrase, "There's goes Steve off into the night." Or "There goes Barbara off into the night."

I never realized how often I used it, until one evening a guy named Jack called. 

And yes, I did. I said, on air, "There goes Jack off into the night."

And after that, I don't think I ever used the phrase again! 

December 8, 2020 9:28 pm  #4

There's a thing I have noticed about CP-24 -- and also Nathan Downer when he was there.  Most of their anchors start a sentence with "well" as in "well" the mayor of Toronto held a news conference today.  "Well" there was a protest in downtown Toronto today.   "Well" vaccines for COVID-19 will arrive next week... and on and on.  Now that I've pointed this out it will probably drive you crazy when you watch CP-24.  Well.....

December 8, 2020 9:34 pm  #5

I have noticed the "well" factor. But my pet peeve is when the anchor [let's say it's Mr. Downer] throws to the reporter and the person on the scene starts the stand-up with, "That's right, Nathan..."

If it wasn't right, why would the anchor have said it in the first place? It happens on all the stations. 

December 9, 2020 2:25 am  #6

Later in his career Peter Mansbridge used to make a "tsk" sound coming out of every piece of video.

December 9, 2020 8:34 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I have noticed the "well" factor. But my pet peeve is when the anchor [let's say it's Mr, Downer] throws to the reporter and the person on the scene starts the stand-up with, "That's right, Nathan..."

and many of the throws to live reporters on 680News mornings start with  "Yaa...."

December 9, 2020 11:11 am  #8

You should all share some of your own personal "habits"  and "crutches" 

December 9, 2020 11:36 am  #9

and when did it become a thing to begin an answer to every question with " So"....?!

December 9, 2020 11:56 am  #10

I'm honestly not sure if some of us notice this because we were or are in the biz and are more sensitive to it or whether it's plain to the general audience at large. I only pointed out the original Downer pen click because I found it so unusual. It's not a vocal tic, just a nervous habit. But he shouldn't do it near a microphone and my guess is he might not even be aware he's doing it.

There's also the reliance on certain phrases. John Oakley must say "put some water in their wine" at least once or twice a show. This is an expression that I don't think I normally hear more than two or three times a year. Yet he seems to somehow work it in on a daily basis. That and "the human condition." Can anyone tell me exactly what that means?

Odd how these little things sometimes stand out to certain listeners, while they wash right over the ears of others. 

December 9, 2020 11:57 am  #11

fyshtalk wrote:

and when did it become a thing to begin an answer to every question with " So"....?!

We had a premier in Ontario (Kathleen Wynne) who used to do exactly that at the start of every sentence during every interview. It got to the point you could say it along with her.

Which reminds me, appropos of nothing, I always wanted to see an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, where the crew discovers ancient artifacts, including a Singer machine. I was really hoping they'd get Picard to say, "Mr. Data: Make it sew!" 

But alas, it was not to be...

December 9, 2020 12:52 pm  #12

rawkgurl wrote:

You should all share some of your own personal "habits"  and "crutches" 

While this thread may be seen as criticism, it could be interpreted as how seriously many here take broadcast communications, rawkchick. 

December 9, 2020 12:53 pm  #13

RadioActive wrote:

I'm honestly not sure if some of us notice this because we were or are in the biz and are more sensitive to it or whether it's plain to the general audience at large. 

I agree 100 per cent RA. I'm sure it's my broadcast and writing background that makes me want everything to be succinct. My pet peeve is unnecessary phrases. The one that really gets me is used by people doing how-to segments. "I'm going to go ahead and tighten this bolt." "I'm going to go ahead and pour the fresh oil into the car's oil reservoir." "I'm going to go ahead and preheat the oven to 350 degrees."

Don't go ahead, in the words of the Nike ad, JUST DO IT!

And I get cross with broadcasters using unnecessary phrases like "tomorrow morning at 10:00 a.m." It should be either "tomorrow morning at 10:00" or "tomorrow at 10:00 a.m."

Re-reading this post, it makes me think my fellow board members will think The Stickler has returned. I better shut up now.

December 9, 2020 1:32 pm  #14

Tq345 wrote:

Re-reading this post, it makes me think my fellow board members will think The Stickler has returned. I better shut up now.

Yes, we wouldn't want people to think that ... or at least I wouldn't. When I used that persona to post about various matters here, I meant it to be at least somewhat self-deprecating because I didn't think a lot of the things I was mentioning were really that important (and the name had come from how a regular had referred to me in that kind of context). But eventually I felt that it was leading to some rather hypercritical comments that weren't in the same spirit, and that's why I stopped using it. 
But having said that, I feel the same way as others here about these things -- and I've never worked in broadcasting. But if I did, I'd want to be told -- politely -- if I was doing anything like this. I know I sometimes do such things myself, but I've tried over the years to eliminate or at least reduce how much I do them. I especially like your comment about trying to make everything succinct, which is what I've often thought when I hear people use unnecessary phrases. I don't know how much this is addressed in broadcasting courses, but I think that broadcasters should want to avoid them -- and especially as they become more experienced.