sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

December 4, 2020 10:40 pm  #1

A Little Red Meat For the CBC Haters..

This was from the National Post today...the article is about CBC TV which does not receive $1.3 billion in taxpayer funding.  That figure is for everything, TV, Radio English and French networks, RCI, Northern Services and their owned and operated radio and TV stations etc.   CBC TV portion would be around $750-850 million. With their advertising drying up and lousy ratings, getting hard to justify the cost....Brian Lilley chimes in for good measure too!
https://nationalpost.com/news/national/cbc-tv-a-make-work-project-that-taxpayers-dont-take-to-senator-says/wcm/26093304-b640-4994-9337-d5a86629042d 

December 5, 2020 1:40 am  #2

Re: A Little Red Meat For the CBC Haters..

What has it been?  Three weeks since the last anti-CBC piece?

Edit: I checked. 2 weeks 4 days.
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/rex-murphy-why-does-the-cbc-care-what-mary-trump-has-to-say

Last edited by Prod Guy (December 5, 2020 1:42 am)

December 5, 2020 12:01 pm  #3

"With their advertising drying up and lousy ratings, getting hard to justify the cost...."

And some of us had such high hopes for Family Feud Canada...  and (yet) another re-tool of "The National"...  thought that it was going to be a true, genuine ratings juggernaut ...   alas...

December 5, 2020 1:33 pm  #4

I've said it before. If the entire CBC machine went off the air tomorrow would anyone be hurt?

Assuming that was transferred to the provinces and used for this purpose, how many hospitals could have been built with the last 10 years with CBC's budget?

CBC may have been relevant in the early days of broadcasting to 'unite' Canadians, but all it does now is sew dissent between the left and right. Hardly a uniting factor.

I understand lots of folks will disagree and I respect their opinions.

December 6, 2020 1:15 pm  #5

It seems to me that a lot of people on this board , and in the private broadcasting business, have very little regard for the CBC. I thought that way for a long time too. The fact is, though, that many people across the country listen to and enjoy CBC radio and television. It's necessary too, because if the CBC were to disappear, so too would an alternative view of our country, one that private broadcasters have no interest in. Do I wish the CBC was more like the BBC in terms of delivering different political views? Of course, but until I see that same range of views on private stations, I will remain a CBC fan. Guys like Brian Lilley know the cost of everything, but never the value.

December 6, 2020 3:27 pm  #6

Even some former CBC-ers are unhappy with the direction the Corp. is taking. (And before you say this is just another Post Media attack, this article is from the Toronto Star.) 

CBC’s Tandem shows broadcaster has lost its way, former top editor says

December 8, 2020 9:49 am  #7

geo wrote:

Rune wrote:

if the CBC were to disappear, so too would an alternative view of our country, one that private broadcasters have no interest in 

Remarks posted on SOWNY about the CBC haven't generally knocked its programming or its politics as much as the high CO$T of maintaining it 

You just made my point Geo. You know the cost. You don't know the value.

December 9, 2020 8:44 pm  #8

The number of former and current CBC employees that are against Tandem, a marketing division which will see the Corp. present sponsored features that many fear will be indistinguishable from CBC News, has now grown to over 500. (Ironic, in a way, that they're all acting in tandem but not in Tandem...)

Yet, outside of adding a few safeguards, management has adamantly refused to stop the revenue-enhancing program. 

Could an internal revolt be brewing? This story is worth keeping a close eye on. I'm not sure I've ever seen this level of resistance to anything internally at the CBC. 

On-air personalities join campaign against CBC's paid content division Tandem

December 11, 2020 8:09 am  #9

Glen Warren wrote:

some of us had such high hopes for Family Feud Canada   

CBC pensioner Linden MacIntyre writes on pg. A15 of today's print Globe 'n Mail under the heading "A civil war is erupting at the CBC".   Family Feud, indeed               

December 11, 2020 11:05 am  #10

RadioActive wrote:

The number of former and current CBC employees that are against Tandem, a marketing division which will see the Corp. present sponsored features that many fear will be indistinguishable from CBC News, has now grown to over 500. (Ironic, in a way, that they're all acting in tandem but not in Tandem...)

Yet, outside of adding a few safeguards, management has adamantly refused to stop the revenue-enhancing program. 

Could an internal revolt be brewing? This story is worth keeping a close eye on. I'm not sure I've ever seen this level of resistance to anything internally at the CBC. 

On-air personalities join campaign against CBC's paid content division Tandem

The CRTC has now agreed to allow this to be part of the CBC licence renewal hearings, although they won't say if they'll try and stop it. 

CRTC says it will allow questions on CBC's branded content during upcoming regulatory hearings

December 11, 2020 2:04 pm  #11

And then comes this from the muckrakers at Canadaland:

(Honestly you can't make this stuff up.)

The President of the CBC Lives In Brooklyn, N.Y.

December 11, 2020 3:15 pm  #12

He's likely there to research country format's success in NYC at FM 94.7 WNSH 

December 11, 2020 3:18 pm  #13

Actually, it's a she and the article indicates she's there to look after her husband and that she has a token residence in Canada just to make it official.

So let me get this straight. The head of the "Canadians Bringing Canadians Together" network can watch HBO and Showtime, but she can't get an over-the-signal for the CBC. Hmmmm....

December 11, 2020 3:27 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

Actually, it's a she and the article indicates she's there to look after her husband and that she has a token residence in Canada just to make it official.

So let me get this straight. The head of the "Canadians Bringing Canadians Together" network can watch HBO and Showtime, but she can't get an over-the-signal for the CBC. Hmmmm....

I'm sure she can subscribe to CBC Gem whilst stateside....

December 11, 2020 4:03 pm  #15

So, it appears to be unlikely that she's familiar with Buck Owens and Skeeter Davis.    Damn!

December 11, 2020 4:26 pm  #16

Glen Warren wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I'm sure she can subscribe to CBC Gem whilst stateside....

Wouldn't a VPN be required to view CBC Gem south of the border?

December 11, 2020 5:33 pm  #17

mace wrote:

Wouldn't a VPN be required to view CBC Gem south of the border?

Yes.  If I accidentally go into gem whilst on the VPN (pretending to be from the U.S.) it won't let me in.

Last edited by Peter the K (December 11, 2020 5:33 pm)

December 12, 2020 12:46 am  #18

National Post outdid themselves today.  Three...count 'em.. 3.. anti CBC articles in one day!!  Nice to see they don't have an agenda or bias.   Isn't that what they usually claim that CBC has...?. 

We have already heard about how CBC CEO lives part time in NYC.  The fact that Catherine Tait is also trying to take care of her husband is beside the point...And the Post also covered today the big huff about CBC's proposed Tandem Shows (sponsored content) today.  In fact they have talked about this a few times over the past week.

Today's main editorial page is titled  "The CBC Has Gone Too Far This Time". This is the third spanking today of the corpse.  They are accusing the CBC of trying to be too many things to too many people.  Huh?  Are they saying CBC is trying too hard? 

Also interesting that Sun/Post Media like to play up how much CBC's advertising has gone down.  Why, it is down 19% over a six month period this year!!  Not only do audiences not like CBC shows, advertisers don't either!   Maybe their revenue started to tank about the same time as The National Post or CTV or Citytv or Global and radio.   I think they left out or forgot there is a pandemic that has hurt a lot of media, not just CBC. 

Anyway here is the article...Wonder what they will talk about for Saturday's paper...  
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/cbc-watch-even-its-own-people-think-the-swollen-public-broadcaster-has-gone-too-far-this-time

Last edited by paterson1 (December 12, 2020 12:48 am)

December 14, 2020 5:41 pm  #19

RadioActive wrote:

And then comes this from the muckrakers at Canadaland:

(Honestly you can't make this stuff up.)

The President of the CBC Lives In Brooklyn, N.Y.

An angry CBC responds to the Canadaland story, saying it's absolutely untrue and they've asked the site for a retraction - which they haven't provided. 

No, CBC/Radio-Canada's president does not live in the United States