sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 24, 2020 4:03 pm  #1

The Most Bizarre Local Media Story Of The COVID Era

Sometimes you have to wonder if this pandemic has been a comedy of errors. But few things have been as bizarre as what happened on Tuesday, after the owner of an Etobicoke restaurant went on Facebook vowing to openly defy the lockdown by opening his business for diners.

Needless to say, the anti-mask crowd came out in droves to celebrate his defiance, along with police and by-law officials. And while dozens of customers sat there maskless, honking horns and eating indoors, the authorities proceeded to hand out fines.

Who got them?

The diners? Nope.

The owner? No, at least not yet.

The anti-maskers? Not them, either.

Instead, the city authorities issued parking tickets to the media who were there covering the craziness! They were the only ones fined!

And then there was the guy in the City of Toronto vehicle who drove past, bumped elbows with the protestors and openly honked in support of them.

I’m not taking sides in this dispute, but thanks to COVID, we’re truly living in Bizarro World. Honestly, you couldn’t make this stuff up.

Still, I suppose it’s better to be locked down than locked up!

November 24, 2020 5:03 pm  #2

Re: The Most Bizarre Local Media Story Of The COVID Era

I can't begin to tell you how frustrated I am with authorities in handling this.    What my walk away is... go ahead and break the law.. it doesn't matter..  Police will no nothing...   

Mayor Tory, Ford, and the rest of the levels of government need to answer why?    

The journalists need to go hard against the police, and all levels of government of how this failure of the system can be happening.      If I was running a business right now... why would I close?

Parking tickets are more important apparently than health of the public and ability to provide healthcare.

Complete joke.      

Last edited by radiokid (November 24, 2020 5:07 pm)

November 24, 2020 5:07 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

city authorities issued parking tickets to the media who were there covering the craziness! They were the only ones fined 

Is it possible that neither police or bylaw officers were there; just traffic enforcement, doing its job

November 24, 2020 5:10 pm  #4

geo wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

city authorities issued parking tickets to the media who were there covering the craziness! They were the only ones fined 

Is it possible that neither police or bylaw officers were there; just traffic enforcement, doing its job

Well I'm not going to debate the reports they had been there or not... CP24 was live there most of the day....  They showed police had been there, but refused to do anything, which was echoed by the press conf. they had.....

Last edited by radiokid (November 24, 2020 5:11 pm)

November 24, 2020 5:36 pm  #5

geo wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

No, both were definitely there, with authorities concluding they didn't have the manpower to enforce the law - an insane excuse, although I will admit they didn't want to risk disturbing the hornet's nest any further. 

Later in the day, an order was finally issued from the city as this thing gathered steam on all the talk stations and on social media, but whether the owner will listen now that he's achieved all this notoriety is another matter. 

I didn't post this to get political. But the fact that the media members were the only ones fined appealed to my sense of the absurd and I found it hilarious. 

I wasn't, however, quite so amused by how the reporters were treated and harassed while doing their jobs, some while they were on the air. It's getting dangerous out there. 

November 24, 2020 5:41 pm  #6

Update:

It seems someone woke up at Toronto Police and just shut the place down, while the police admitted they had wrong directives this morning leaving it open and apparently are ready to ensure this doesn't happen tomorrow.    

I have a feeling someone from the political levels barked over this PR mistake. 

November 24, 2020 6:24 pm  #7

The crazies are winning. Why? Because they are allowed to win.

I noticed the flag that one of the "protestors" was frantically waving.

Turns out they have a website (TheLineCanada.com) that is affiliated with like-minded geniuses in several countries....they claim...https://thelineinternational.com/

The International organization appears to be led by a Canadian, Lamont Daigle, who professes to have a taste for violence, although I'm sure he's desperately resisting the urge... https://divergemedia.ca/2020/10/17/freedom-is-essential-unsavoury-characters-are-not-the-line-canada/ . It used to be that you needed the press or radio/TV to spread your message far and wide. Now, you simply need a website and social media and the lunatics come running.

You can meet this "leader" here - https://thelineinternational.com/contact

They even have a "Youth League". Hmmm, now where have I seen that before? https://thelinecanada.com/youth-league

Great idea, people. Let's do our best to infect as many people as possible. The dumbing down of society is proceeding as feared. God bless anarchy, and all who love her.  
Morons!

November 24, 2020 6:34 pm  #8

Whether people like it or not, the guy is breaking the law.  And all of the media coverage will attract people who don't like or do not obey "the rules." A lot of these folks also don't like or trust the media.   At least being a restaurant Adamson  BBQ still has take out and pickup service. 

.The police were right to not lay charges when they showed up since things could have got much worse very quickly.  They did the right thing and handled the situation properly in my opinion. 

I heard one of the supporters of the restaurant on the radio talking about the silent majority rising up and not being pushed around by the government.  Sorry bud, you are the minority, not the majority.  The silent majority are wearing masks, and 99% of businesses are following the rules. And yes the rules are not always fair.

The silent majority understands that this has nothing to do with your freedom and all about a serious health pandemic.  It's about trying to keep you and others safe.

Don't know if Adamson's BBQ will get a fine for what happened today, but with all of news coverage today the take out business will be very busy for the next while.  If the the owner is foolish enough to open again tomorrow for sit down service, his situation will likely get a lot worse real quick.

November 24, 2020 6:52 pm  #9

Dial Twister wrote:

The crazies are winning. Why? Because they are allowed to win.

I noticed the flag that one of the "protestors" was frantically waving.

Turns out they have a website (TheLineCanada.com) that is affiliated with like-minded geniuses in several countries....they claim...https://thelineinternational.com/

The International organization appears to be led by a Canadian, Lamont Daigle, who professes to have a taste for violence, although I'm sure he's desperately resisting the urge... https://divergemedia.ca/2020/10/17/freedom-is-essential-unsavoury-characters-are-not-the-line-canada/ . It used to be that you needed the press or radio/TV to spread your message far and wide. Now, you simply need a website and social media and the lunatics come running.

You can meet this "leader" here - https://thelineinternational.com/contact

They even have a "Youth League". Hmmm, now where have I seen that before? https://thelinecanada.com/youth-league

Great idea, people. Let's do our best to infect as many people as possible. The dumbing down of society is proceeding as feared. God bless anarchy, and all who love her.  
Morons! 

If you think that's bad, you should know that host Marc Patrone regularly has this guy on as a guest on his Sauga 960 talk show and treats him like a hero. Yikes!

November 24, 2020 7:13 pm  #10

The media response I've heard has been as bad or worse than the city response. 

Want free publicity? Even after slagging our reporters? We'll give it to ya! So fucking stupid.

November 24, 2020 9:55 pm  #11

We can't let the ignorant, the stupid, the selfish run things.

Clamp down hard, very hard. 

November 25, 2020 1:17 pm  #12

QUESTION/OBSERVATION:     Do anti-maskers @ the Etobicoke restaurant remind anyone else of callers to oldies programs who regularly request American Woman and/or Sugar, Sugar?    Is there anything more to their showing up than wanting to see themselves on TV or hear themselves on radio?

Me

November 25, 2020 1:52 pm  #13

CFRB was at it again this morning, making sure the business and owner were well-referenced in their 'news'.

The Corpse took the right approach, only noting it as a business in Etobicoke and not naming the owner.

November 25, 2020 5:50 pm  #14

Self-described "white nationalist" Paul Fromm showed up at the restaurant, and was welcomed onto the property by the restaurateur. The cast is now complete. All the best people are showing up. LOL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Fromm_(white_supremacist)

The restaurateur announced that, "The media is not welcome on my property". Gee, I wonder where he got the idea to attack the media? 

November 25, 2020 10:31 pm  #15

Dial Twister wrote:

Self-described "white nationalist" Paul Fromm showed up at the restaurant, and was welcomed onto the property by the restaurateur. The cast is now complete. All the best people are showing up. LOL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Fromm_(white_supremacist)

The restaurateur announced that, "The media is not welcome on my property". Gee, I wonder where he got the idea to attack the media? 

I guess he's aiming to be a very niche business?

November 26, 2020 8:38 am  #16

John Tory was interviewed by Erica Hill on CNN this morning to discuss the new lock-down and he mentioned the restaurant owner as someone who is flouting the law. What really stuck out is what Tory said about Canada is that all levels levels of govt are on the same page.

Last edited by Fitz (November 26, 2020 9:18 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/