sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

November 12, 2020 1:19 pm  #1

CRTC's Online Survey Wants To Know What You Think About AM & FM Radio

The CRTC is taking an online survey about what Canadians think of traditional AM & FM radio as part of the government's review of the Broadcasting Act. The questions range from whether you think there's too much Can Con or not enough, whether online content should be regulated, if there's too much ownership concentration in Canadian radio and what you listen to and your opinions about it. (Three guesses how I voted on some of those!)

There is also a box where you can offer your comments, and mine advised the CRTC to stop over-regulating the industry and to stop interfering in programming. Which is bound to be completely ignored. 

Anyway, it's a fun little survey that can be completed in about 10 minutes or less and I'm quite certain it will have no real effect on anything. But at least you can say you tried! The survey will be up until Nov. 26th.

You can take it here

CRTC Press Release: Canadians invited to share their views on AM and FM radio

Call for comments – Commercial radio policy framework review

I'm not entirely sure mine will go into their database. At the very end of the thing, there's a final page to submit. I did, it appeared to go through and then I saw this: (So I'm guessing they REALLY didn't like what I had to say!)

November 12, 2020 3:24 pm  #2

Re: CRTC's Online Survey Wants To Know What You Think About AM & FM Radio

So what you are really saying is the only survey entries the CRTC will consider are the ones which agree with their, probably, already decided plans. Then they can display the results that show the "vast majority" of Canadians agree with our proposed plans.

November 12, 2020 3:29 pm  #3

mace wrote:

So what you are really saying is the only survey entries the CRTC will consider are the ones which agree with their, probably, already decided plans. Then they can display the results that show the "vast majority" of Canadians agree with our proposed plans.

Hold your cards everyone... B I N G O has been called!

November 12, 2020 3:57 pm  #4

If you read the very long explanation of what they're looking for (and very few would take the time to read through the extensive bureaucratese, although I did because this stuff interests me) it quickly becomes clear that the CRTC hasn't even the remotest interest in loosening or shrinking Can Con requirements, but only wants to know how they can be better strengthened to promote "discoverability," a made-up odious term that in essence means "we will force this on the air whether you want it or not."

The fact is the CRTC's mandate is to promote Canadian content at all costs, and even if every single person submitted comments or indicated in the survey that there's too much of it, nothing would change. The government's narrow focus on this issue has been around since the 70s and there's not a chance that, even with the Internet making every kind of music possible available, it will ever get this bee out of its regulatory bonnet. 

But as noted, it was fun to at least make it clear in the survey how opposed to this ongoing mandate I am. To be clear, I'm not actually against Canadian content on the radio. I'm opposed to FORCED Canadian content on the radio, particularly in cases of things like oldies stations, which results in endless Gordon Lightfoot and Anne Murray replays over and over again.

I think they accomplished what they wanted. The original Can Con rules worked, for the most part, although I was against them back then and am less than fond of them now. There's a thriving Canadian music industry and our talents have been proven around the world. We no longer need to have this forced on us by a government that knows nothing about programming, but insists on ruling like it does.

If a song or artist is good, I truly believe it will find its way on air. Just ask Drake, Bieber, or the Weeknd, as recent examples. They're not my cup of meat, as Bob Dylan noted in "The Mighty Quinn," but they're popular and worldwide best sellers. And they'd get played regardless of Can Con rules. Quality not quantity should decide.

It's my opinion, and to repeat an obvious conclusion, one I'm sure the CRTC has absolutely no interest in hearing at their upcoming hearing! 

November 12, 2020 11:17 pm  #5

Thanks for posting the links RA.  I intend to take full advantage of this opportunity to voice my thoughts.  I encourage anyone else who is interested in the future of radio in Canada to forward your input.   Hopefully some updated ideas and improved regulation results from this.  Take advantage!

November 13, 2020 8:45 am  #6

Anyone can take the survey, but there is one caveat. At one point, it offers an array of job descriptions, two of them being radio or television. If you choose either one, it instantly cuts you off and goes to a screen saying 'Thanks for participating. We have no more questions for you at this time.'

This seems idiotic to me. If the CRTC is going to make changes to the Broadcasting Act, I cannot fathom why they would refuse to hear from the workers who would be most affected by those new regs. John and Jane Doe, who have no real knowledge of the industry except as listeners or viewers get to comment, but people who know the industry do not?

This isn't like the ratings, where I understand the reasons for exclusion. It's an insane prohibition as far as I'm concerned and totally without merit. Who better to comment on opinions about the future of broadcasting than broadcasters themselves?

If you want to participate, I would advise filling out something else at this question.

November 13, 2020 9:53 am  #7

Just off the phone with the CRTC to ask about this. The woman who answered said to her knowledge, there was no ban on people who work in the industry, but she said she would tell her "team" and they would check it, 

She told me the only ones who should be ineligible for the survey are CRTC employees and those who work for Industry Canada. 

I suspect Ipsos, who they hired to do the study, was using it to screen out "interested parties" that could skew the results. But who better to voice their opinion?

So we'll see if anything changes. 

November 13, 2020 9:56 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

If you want to participate, I would advise filling out something else at this question.

They could have simply collected opinions on two tracks in the sjurvey...in the biz...or viewer/listener only. I'd want to hear both points of view.

Idiots!

November 13, 2020 10:34 am  #9

RadioActive wrote:

Just off the phone with the CRTC to ask about this. The woman who answered said to her knowledge, there was no ban on people who work in the industry, but she said she would tell her "team" and they would check it, 

She told me the only ones who should be ineligible for the survey are CRTC employees and those who work for Industry Canada. 

I suspect Ipsos, who they hired to do the study, was using it to screen out "interested parties" that could skew the results. But who better to voice their opinion?

So we'll see if anything changes. 

I can see both sides of the this situation.  Yes it is very important to get input from the broadcaster and a professional point of view from the people who work in the industry.  However, just as if not more important, is the input from the average listener/viewer.

Attempting to block or limit influence in the survey from  people in the industry also could also effect advocacy groups like Friends of Canadian Broadcasting, or as RA said "interested parties." who have certain agendas and  groups that are only interested in one or two issues.

So this move by the CRTC or IPSOS is not really wrong since they are trying to make the survey geared more to the listener and viewer, not the industry or special interest groups who would skew or over influence results.

I think it would be safe to say that the CRTC has had much input already and will receive more from all of the major broadcast companies like Rogers, Bell, Corus, and smaller groups on how to improve and modify regulations and proposed changes.  I am sure none of them are advocating for stricter or more cancon for example!   So, the "industry" will be well represented when the commission is going through all of the information and recommendations.

The survey sounds like it is really designed for public input and not special interests. Naturally many industry individuals will be taking part regardless. 

Last edited by paterson1 (November 13, 2020 10:48 am)

November 13, 2020 11:09 am  #10

RadioActive wrote:

The CRTC is taking an online survey about what Canadians think of traditional AM & FM radio

QUESTION:   How does the survey get into the hands of the average Canadian?    Average Canadian might be defined as an individual who spends a half hour on the DVP every weekday morning and late afternoon, punching radio buttons.   Alternatively, it could be the everyday housewife who gave up the good life and has Jerry Agar or Marilyn Denis (or both) on while she launders diapers and the boxer shorts of hubby, both of who have bladder leakage issues.     Their opinion might be the real deal (not us, except perhaps ones with leaky bladders)

geo

November 13, 2020 11:41 am  #11

geo wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

The CRTC is taking an online survey about what Canadians think of traditional AM & FM radio

QUESTION:   How does the survey get into the hands of the average Canadian?    Average Canadian might be defined as an individual who spends a half hour on the DVP every weekday morning and late afternoon, punching radio buttons.   Alternatively, it could be the everyday housewife who gave up the good life and has Jerry Agar or Marilyn Denis (or both) on while she launders diapers and the boxer shorts of hubby, both of who have bladder leakage issues.     Their opinion might be the real deal (not us, except perhaps ones with leaky bladders)

geo

That is a good point geo, I was wondering that too.  How would the average person take part?  I guess since IPOS is handling this, would they phone people?  Do the survey over the phone or encourage them and direct the public to the on line survey. 

I don't know if any media like newspapers has covered this but that would be a possibility to at least make people aware. I would think that some media like Sun/Post would give this some space.  Though their stories would likely be quite one sided and negative I am sure.   Does the CRTC still run ads?  They used to take out ads for hearings or for new stations applying in a town or city. They could run a small ad in the Globe informing people where to take the survey. 

November 13, 2020 11:57 am  #12

As far as I know, it's online only and is accessible to anyone with a web connection at the link above. But how they intend to publicize it is another matter entirely. 

November 14, 2020 8:38 am  #13

Being a radio geek, I have always found this site interesting and informative. Had I not known about SOWNY, I doubt I would have been aware of the CRTC survey.

November 14, 2020 11:14 am  #14

just mentioning this as an aside,  but when reading the press release from the Mother Ship of Broadcasting Policy, Regulation and Communications Complications (located in Hull), I note that Mr. Scott has now been anointed with the dual title of Chair and CEO...

my, my, my...   our tax dollars at work...

February 23, 2021 12:37 pm  #15

the results have been released

VIEW THEM HERE

February 23, 2021 12:56 pm  #16

I've outlined some of the highlights I found revealing in a post here, but either link will let you see the survey. I just find the whole thing pretty bizarre and contradictory in a lot of places. 

February 23, 2021 1:33 pm  #17

Odd not sure what template they were using for the report but the PDF file seems to titled "Canda Student Loan Programs: 2017-2018 Client Satisfaction Research FINAL REPORT" although the content is correct.  Note that Canada is also misspelled.