sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 30, 2020 5:01 pm  #1

CITY News commercials are the worst

I don't know if those commercials are supposed to be reflecting what's going on in Toronto, or across Canada in general, but they sure make Toronto or other cities in Canada a terrible places to live. I agree that life can be tough, but the news is more than just a bitch, whine and complain session. I'll admit I haven't watched CITY news in a long time, but if it is anything like their commercials, I will never want to.

Last edited by alangee (October 30, 2020 5:02 pm)

October 30, 2020 5:17 pm  #2

Re: CITY News commercials are the worst

I haven't seen the ones you're talking about, so I can't comment. But they have to be better than the promos they used to run in the 80s. Every single one of them used the exact same breathless dire warning theme:

-The three things you're doing that could endanger your children's future!
-Five ways to be sure your house is safe from a break-in!
-The only sure way to prevent an accident on the highway and what to do if you're in one!
-The three things you have in your kitchen right now that will kill your dog!
-Why your family may not be safe in the middle of the night and what could kill you in the dark unless you fix it!

These types of promos aired almost every day and went on so often, we started making fun of them. And it's my understanding that eventually, so did the newsroom employees at City because they were so hysterically over-the-top. 

October 30, 2020 7:07 pm  #3

I'm not sure which ads are supposed to be so terrible either... but CITY News does have a small number of tediously repetitive ads like other stations do (especially CP-2 which has a never ending cavalcade of ambulance chasing lawyers and gold and jewelry sharks) meanwhile CTV and CBC newschannels have endless private insurance shills (including the monkey-faced guy for Sure Health).  As for radio... here's some channel-changing fodder:
"Earlier I signed a decree.." (click)
"Once upon a time a woman with psoriasis..." (click)
"1-877-Kars for Kids..." (click)
(distorted phone message song)  (click)
"Hi I'm Aaaron Waxman..." click
Happy Halloween... oh I forgot it's cancelled.

October 31, 2020 12:30 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

I haven't seen the ones you're talking about, so I can't comment. But they have to be better than the promos they used to run in the 80s. Every single one of them used the exact same breathless dire warning theme:

-The only sure way to prevent an accident on the highway and what to do if you're in one!
-Why your family may not be safe in the middle of the night and what could kill you in the dark unless you fix it!

These types of promos aired almost every day and went on so often, we started making fun of them. And it's my understanding that eventually, so did the newsroom employees at City because they were so hysterically over-the-top. 

Anyone else remember this from one of the Buffalo stations back in the day:

"It's eleven o'clock. Do you know where your children are?"

October 31, 2020 7:42 am  #5

6079 Smith W wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

WNYW FOX5 in NYC uses that line currently before their 10pm newscast.

October 31, 2020 7:53 am  #6

6079 Smith W wrote:

Yes! I'm one of the ones who used to love to parody that and say "It's eleven o'clock! Do you know where your parents are? 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 31, 2020 9:29 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

I haven't seen the ones you're talking about, so I can't comment. . . 

I see the commercials whenever my wife is watching CNN. They are on often.

It starts with a female CITY reporter, "COVID" is not an equal opportunity crisis" 
followed by a woman sayin she is being punished for being disabled
followed by female CITY reporter " having the title of Dr doesn't prevent black health care workers from discrimination"
followed by female black health care worker promoting change
followed by female CITY reporter "backed up government system has forced one family on the street"
followed by distraught woman crying about being out on the street
 and then lauding that CITY is the winner of best local newscast from the Canadian Screen Awards.

These may all be valid talking points, but packed all together in one commercial comes across (at least to me) as being whiney, shrill and saying that the only news worth talking about is what a terrible and oppressive society we live in.

October 31, 2020 3:54 pm  #8

alangee wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

I haven't seen the ones you're talking about, so I can't comment. . . 

I see the commercials whenever my wife is watching CNN. They are on often.

It starts with a female CITY reporter, "COVID" is not an equal opportunity crisis" 
followed by a woman sayin she is being punished for being disabled
followed by female CITY reporter " having the title of Dr doesn't prevent black health care workers from discrimination"
followed by female black health care worker promoting change
followed by female CITY reporter "backed up government system has forced one family on the street"
followed by distraught woman crying about being out on the street
 and then lauding that CITY is the winner of best local newscast from the Canadian Screen Awards.

These may all be valid talking points, but packed all together in one commercial comes across (at least to me) as being whiney, shrill and saying that the only news worth talking about is what a terrible and oppressive society we live in.

I feel the same way about his one, too.