sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 26, 2020 10:14 am  #1

CBC May Get Extra $34 Million In "COVID-Related" Funding

Yes, this is from the Toronto Sun, which has a hate on for the Corp., but that doesn't lessen the fact that this is on the table. The Canadian government is considering giving the CBC an additional $34 million of taxpayer funds, because they've been hit hard by the COVID crisis. 

Every other broadcaster has, too, but there's no word if they'll be considered for similar government largesse. My guess - that's not in the budget. 

CBC looking at $34-million COVID-related funding jolt 

October 26, 2020 1:22 pm  #2

Re: CBC May Get Extra $34 Million In "COVID-Related" Funding

I believe CBC has not been eligible for the COVID assistance private companies have been receiving this year. 

October 27, 2020 8:40 am  #3

The CBC has taken the extraordinary step of refuting all of these stories in a major (and somewhat nasty in tone) press release. I can't recall the Corp. ever getting its back up quite like this before. 

Get the Facts: Incorrect Reporting About CBC/Radio-Canada Funding

I couldn't help but take note of the following sentence in the response:

"It is worth remembering that, at $34 per Canadian, per year, CBC/Radio-Canada not only delivers incredible value, it is still one of the lowest-funded public broadcasters in the world."

It might be nice to remind the CBC that that $34 is being taken from the wallets of some of us without our permission, and that many Canadians are being forced to pay for a service they never use. Imagine if, say, Loblaws took $50 from all of us even if we never went into their stores, because they've been mandated to "serve Canadians from coast-to-coast." I can't conceive of any other company or entity being allowed to do this.

October 27, 2020 9:43 am  #4

Indeed, RA. And all of those who never drive on a highway should get that portion of their taxes back. Further, I'm very healthy and never visit a hospital, so I want those taxes back too. Oh, and I have no children, so why am I paying for schools on my property tax, or in my rent?

I live in a nice quiet town with almost zero crime. I'm tired of paying taxes for police services that I almost never use. I never see a Mountie, not even Dudley DoRight, even passing through! I've never seen a military vehicle or current-serving members of the military in uniform around these here parts, 'ceptin on Remembrance Day...and I can't even go there this year. Why am I forced to pay taxes to support them?

And another thing. If I want to see the weather, I look out my back window. Why am I paying for all them there environmental so-called scientists who think they're better than us and know it all? And, don't get me started on all those gubment people working on the Trent Canal system. I ain't got no boat anyhow. Geesh!

October 27, 2020 9:55 am  #5

Meh. SOWNY's gotta get its daily two minutes hate in for the corpse. Allow it.

October 27, 2020 10:18 am  #6

Well put Dial Twister.  Funding for CBC is not directly "out of pocket" like funding for BBC, which is a direct television tax per household.  Interesting to note that BBC's funding is about 4 times greater, and more expensive per citizen than CBC. Germany's public broadcaster even higher still.

Money for the crown corporation comes out of general tax revenues and is paid the same way as the military, Old Age Security, EI, children's benefits etc. Loblaw's is a private/public  company listed on the TSX, CBC is not so the comparison does not apply. Loblaw's also has a lot of leeway what they will charge for the 10,000 products they are selling in their stores.  CBC doesn't have that option.

Some like to whine about how they should be able to pick and choose where their tax money goes.  That would be a recipe for disaster.   Paying your taxes is not a lunch buffet where you pick and choose what you want to pay for. 

Last edited by paterson1 (October 27, 2020 10:36 am)

October 27, 2020 10:39 am  #7

Dial Twister wrote:

Indeed, RA. And all of those who never drive on a highway should get that portion of their taxes back. Further, I'm very healthy and never visit a hospital, so I want those taxes back too. Oh, and I have no children, so why am I paying for schools on my property tax, or in my rent?

I live in a nice quiet town with almost zero crime. I'm tired of paying taxes for police services that I almost never use. I never see a Mountie, not even Dudley DoRight, even passing through! I've never seen a military vehicle or current-serving members of the military in uniform around these here parts, 'ceptin on Remembrance Day...and I can't even go there this year. Why am I forced to pay taxes to support them?

And another thing. If I want to see the weather, I look out my back window. Why am I paying for all them there environmental so-called scientists who think they're better than us and know it all? And, don't get me started on all those gubment people working on the Trent Canal system. I ain't got no boat anyhow. Geesh!

This is exactly the reaction I anticipated when I put up that post. But there is a difference. All those things you cite - roads, hospitals, the military etc. - are for the greater public good. They benefit the whole country and even if you don't ever use them, they're still necessities.

The roads need to be clear to get people to work. Hospitals need to be staffed and paid for to cure people's illnesses and treat emergencies. The military needs to exist to safeguard the country's security. 

And the CBC needs to exist to --- er, what? They don't cure ailments, they don't keep the 401 running, they don't keep the air clean, and they don't safeguard the borders. In other words, they're not a necessity, no matter how you try to shape it. 

Maybe in the past, it could be argued they were. But now, with massive choices on cable, dozens of free TV channels, hundreds of radio stations, surviving newspapers and endless sources on the Internet, it could certainly be argued that a government-funded and controlled network is no longer needed.

As for the comparison to Loblaws, of course I'm aware it's not a government funded service. But you're missing the point. Just like I shouldn't be forced to pay to support them if I don't shop there, I would argue that I shouldn't be forced to pay for a CBC service that I don't "shop" at when I'm looking for radio or TV. 

So, yes, I DO resent $34 - or even 34 cents - of my tax dollars going to fund an entity that essentially competes against me, gets mega-resources private stations could only dream of, and have really done nothing to earn it. It's not jealousy. It's fairness.

This may be the oldest argument in broadcasting circles and I doubt it will ever be resolved. If you like the CBC, open your wallet and give them as much as you can afford. Put your money where your eyes/ears are. For those of us who never use it, I'll find something far better to spend my money on. It's no longer needed, an artifact of the past. Or at the very least, it should be forced to survive on its own. THAT would truly tell the tale of how many value its existence.  

And no, I'm not a rabid Conservative foaming at the mouth about this. I've voted for every party over the years and yet, I've always hated the CBC. But like a harsh Canadian winter, it seems to just be a difficult fact of life I have to learn to live with. Doesn't mean I have to like it! 

October 27, 2020 10:57 am  #8

the CBC's been goin' downhill ever since "Cannonball" with William Campbell & Paul Birch was dropped

October 27, 2020 11:00 am  #9

geo wrote:

the CBC's been goin' downhill ever since "Cannonball" with William Campbell & Paul Birch was dropped

October 27, 2020 11:57 am  #10

=12px"In other words, they're not a necessity, no matter how you try to shape it."
Speaking of necessity, why are the locks on the Trent System still a necessity? Is lumber still transported down to Lake Ontario this way? Are food, clothing and supplies still floated up to the towns and villages along the way? Of course not. The locks are still in operation for pleasure boats. As much fun and enjoyment that people get out of boating, it's hardly a "necessity". 

"In other words, they're not a necessity, no matter how you try to shape it."
To the contrary, the CBC is a lifeline to many communities where no for-profit broadcasters exist. And, let's admit that without the CBC, the vast majority of what we would be watching would be American, British, etc.

The CBC, with all its faults and foibles, increasingly tells Canadian stories to Canadians...not just American stories filmed here and made to look like it's taking place in some American city.

For profit broadcasters, in this country, act largely as minor-league divisions of the major US broadcasters. That brings with it all the pluses and minuses of American culture.

Public broadcasters around the free world, do the job that for-profit broadcasters prefer not to do. Public broadcasters, to the extent that their budgets allow, tell the stories of their host country.  For that, I thank the BBC, PBS, Australia Broadcasting Corporation, New Zealand On Air, etc., and yes, even the venerable old CBC.

Your $34 contribution is much appreciated. It's likely one of the best investments one can make. 

October 27, 2020 12:35 pm  #11

I want CBC to run more privately. CTV, Global and City all agree that it is better to pay taxes for CBC to NOT compete with them than to not fund CBC and have an extra competitor on their back, stomping all over them outbidding them for TV content.

If CBC is going to be funded, they need to prove best that their content is not something that the others wanted to bid on. (between themselves)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 27, 2020 1:23 pm  #12

One thing I have noticed over the months when someone disagrees with you RA, you always tell the individual that they have "missed the point" which is usually not true. But nice try at the diversion.

Maybe you have missed the point when you try to compare Loblaws and the CBC?  One is a for profit company, free enterprise, on the stock market and free to set prices for all the many products they sell.  The other, CBC is none of those things.   So to make your comparison right from the get go doesn't make sense. Sure you don't need to shop or support Loblaws, so what?  That has got nothing to do with CBC, a crown corporation, and your taxes.  

And you are 100% wrong thinking you should be able to decide whether your $34 a year goes to CBC or not.  Paying taxes doesn't work that way and never has.  When and if the government changes CBC's funding model maybe then. 

What is this claim about CBC having resources that private broadcasters could only dream about?? Please.. What decade and world are we living in?  Bell and Rogers have much more at their disposal than CBC and a lot more money.   Look at the dozens of the pay specialty channels they both own, that are only available on cable companies and streaming services that they also own.  I would love to see Bell Media's monthly/yearly operating budget as compared to CBC. 

Rogers, Corus and Bell along with Videotron out of Quebec have much more ability to generate revenue that CBC does. It is CBC that should be envious of the private broadcasters resources.  Private companies who also are not afraid to apply for funding from the federal government for productions by the way.

You actually answered all that's needed to know when you said in the previous post that you "have always hated the CBC..." You may not be a rabid Conservative foaming at the mouth as you say but some of your biased views regarding CBC are decades out of date and besides the corpse is not government controlled as you like to say.

The only government controlled network in North America for a long time has been FOX and that is really the sad thing...  

October 27, 2020 1:36 pm  #13

Dial Twister wrote:

Speaking of necessity, why are the locks on the Trent System still a necessity? Is lumber still transported down to Lake Ontario this way? Are food, clothing and supplies still floated up to the towns and villages along the way? Of course not. The locks are still in operation for pleasure boats. As much fun and enjoyment that people get out of boating, it's hardly a "necessity". 

To the contrary, the CBC is a lifeline to many communities where no for-profit broadcasters exist. And, let's admit that without the CBC, the vast majority of what we would be watching would be American, British, etc.

The CBC, with all its faults and foibles, increasingly tells Canadian stories to Canadians...not just American stories filmed here and made to look like it's taking place in some American city.

For profit broadcasters, in this country, act largely as minor-league divisions of the major US broadcasters. That brings with it all the pluses and minuses of American culture.

Public broadcasters around the free world, do the job that for-profit broadcasters prefer not to do. Public broadcasters, to the extent that their budgets allow, tell the stories of their host country.  For that, I thank the BBC, PBS, Australia Broadcasting Corporation, New Zealand On Air, etc., and yes, even the venerable old CBC.

Your $34 contribution is much appreciated. It's likely one of the best investments one can make.  

"Why are the locks on the Trent System still a necessity? Is lumber still transported down to Lake Ontario this way? Are food, clothing and supplies still floated up to the towns and villages along the way?"

Again, apples and oranges, in my opinion. The locks comparison is a totally different animal. The infrastructure is bought and paid for. And yes, there's upkeep, but it's not like something that endlessly and insatiably drains millions and millions of dollars of taxpayer funds ever year for little return. And it's not exactly competing with "existing locks" if you will, the way the CBC is with all its competitors. Plus it doesn't constantly need new "boats" every year to keep it afloat, as the Corp. does with its programming. 

But I won't argue that perhaps those rich enough to own and maintain pleasure boats should be paying for the privilege of keeping it going. I don't want to sound like Scrooge, but yeah, if that's it's sole purpose now, then perhaps those who use it should probably foot the bill. Again, as you argue, not a necessity.   

True, it purports to tell "Canadian stories to Canadians," (although to be perfectly honest, I can't relate in any way to a show like "Heartland") but how many of those Canadians are actually watching its output? Millions of dollars are flowing into CBC's endlessly spendthrift maw every year for shows that the ratings prove most people simply don't watch. So while it's nice to "bring Canadians to Canadians," what are you really bringing when the eyeballs are elsewhere?

That's why I argue it's a waste of money. No business anywhere survives selling a product very few are buying. Why does the CBC get to flaunt this basic rule of the marketplace?

Perhaps the one area where we can agree is on the way it serves otherwise ignored communities, especially up north. I'd have no objection to some funding going to continue to run CBC North, so it could speak to those communities that aren't in the middle of the media bubble. And I don't mind CBC News Network, especially if it can find a way to pay for itself. 

But some of the network programs on both radio and TV that goes unseen and unheard is pointless, in my opinion. If a CBC show falls in the forest and no one's watching...well you get the idea. Why make something no one wants just so you can boast it's from Canada, eh? That's a sure way to go broke and if it were a private entity, it would have been out of business years ago.

But instead it continues to get millions of free dollars every year without earning it, so why worry about it? Normally I wouldn't care, but part of that is my money. And what a waste of all of our funds it is when almost no one cumulatively sees it.

October 27, 2020 1:48 pm  #14

paterson1 wrote:

One thing I have noticed over the months when someone disagrees with you RA, you always tell the individual that they have "missed the point" which is usually not true. But nice try at the diversion.

Maybe you have missed the point when you try to compare Loblaws and the CBC?  One is a for profit company, free enterprise, on the stock market and free to set prices for all the many products they sell.  The other, CBC is none of those things.   So to make your comparison right from the get go doesn't make sense. Sure you don't need to shop or support Loblaws, so what?  That has got nothing to do with CBC, a crown corporation, and your taxes.  

And you are 100% wrong thinking you should be able to decide whether your $34 a year goes to CBC or not.  Paying taxes doesn't work that way and never has.  When and if the government changes CBC's funding model maybe then. 

What is this claim about CBC having resources that private broadcasters could only dream about?? Please.. What decade and world are we living in?  Bell and Rogers have much more at their disposal than CBC and a lot more money.   Look at the dozens of the pay specialty channels they both own, that are only available on cable companies and streaming services that they also own.  I would love to see Bell Media's monthly/yearly operating budget as compared to CBC. 

Rogers, Corus and Bell along with Videotron out of Quebec have much more ability to generate revenue that CBC does. It is CBC that should be envious of the private broadcasters resources.  Private companies who also are not afraid to apply for funding from the federal government for productions by the way.

You actually answered all that's needed to know when you said in the previous post that you "have always hated the CBC..." You may not be a rabid Conservative foaming at the mouth as you say but some of your biased views regarding CBC are decades out of date and besides the corpse is not government controlled as you like to say.

The only government controlled network in North America for a long time has been FOX and that is really the sad thing...  

"Maybe you have missed the point when you try to compare Loblaws and the CBC?  One is a for profit company, free enterprise, on the stock market and free to set prices for all the many products they sell."

Of course I know the two aren't the same thing. It's called an analogy. I'm trying to say that no one should be forced to pay for a product they don't use that's not a necessity. It doesn't matter if its Loblaws or Rogers Cable. Don't force it on me if I don't want it. If you do, great, enjoy it. But YOU pay for it. 

"And you are 100% wrong thinking you should be able to decide whether your $34 a year goes to CBC or not.  Paying taxes doesn't work that way and never has.  When and if the government changes CBC's funding model maybe then." 

Yes, I'm aware of how taxation works. I just believe there are better and more important places to spend our money. Like health care or housing. No one's ever been cured of a serious disease or found a place to live by watching "The Nature of Things."   

"What is this claim about CBC having resources that private broadcasters could only dream about?? Please.. What decade and world are we living in?  Bell and Rogers have much more at their disposal than CBC and a lot more money."  

As you know, I'm not a fan of either of them. But the difference is this is THEIR money. Even if I believe they gouged it out of their customers, they can spend it as they wish. I'm not contributing to their bottom line. Unfortunately, I can't say that about the CBC.

"You may not be a rabid Conservative foaming at the mouth as you say but some of your biased views regarding CBC are decades out of date and besides the corpse is not government controlled as you like to say."

Ah, but its funding IS. That makes it partly an instrument of government, no matter which party is in charge. I have always been fundamentally opposed to government involvement in broadcasting. Beyond regulating, I will maintain until my dying day they have no business in the media. Their job is to make laws and keep the country safe. Not to fund production of Family Feud Canada.

We will obviously have to agree to disagree on this. And enjoy the CBC programming only a handful (relatively speaking) of Canadians watch. No matter how you slice it with Red and White Maple Leaf patriotic rhetoric, from a strictly business standpoint, it's not a very good investment. 

October 27, 2020 2:00 pm  #15

RadioActive wrote:

No one's ever been cured of a serious disease(1) or found a place to live(2) by watching "The Nature of Things." 

1. Au contraire! Anyone with an open mind, watching episode after episode of The Nature of Things about what is happening to our planet as a result of human-induced climate change, may be cured of the disease of willful blindness in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence.

2. As for finding a place to live, if we don't get on top #1 above, we sure will need someone's help in finding #2.

If Suzuki and the CBC manage to awaken some people to reality, so much the better.

October 27, 2020 2:17 pm  #16

Dial Twister wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

No one's ever been cured of a serious disease(1) or found a place to live(2) by watching "The Nature of Things." 

1. Au contraire! Anyone with an open mind, watching episode after episode of The Nature of Things about what is happening to our planet as a result of human-induced climate change, may be cured of the disease of willful blindness in the face of overwhelming scientific evidence.

2. As for finding a place to live, if we don't get on top #1 above, we sure will need someone's help in finding #2.

If Suzuki and the CBC manage to awaken some people to reality, so much the better.

I don't believe "willful blindness" exists in any physician's manual. But I can ask my brother, who's a doctor. A bit of an over-extended metaphor if you ask me, but I'll give you points for going to extremes to try and make your case!  

October 27, 2020 3:32 pm  #17

Good points RA, but unfortunately some off base in my opinion
You don't change the whole tax funding model and role for CBC just because some people don't want to pay for it, or don't like it.  You will always have people that don't want to pay for almost anything.  You can't run a society by trying to accommodate everyone who doesn't like or agree with something.  

Another point you made was regarding private broadcasters only dreaming about having the resources of CBC.   My point was it was actually the other way around, private broadcasters like Bell, Rogers and Corus have resources that CBC doesn't come close to having.

This gets back to the Sun/Post Media assumption that CBC has this big advantage over the private networks because of the "huge" tax dollars received from taxpayers.  This advantage is a myth and does not exist since the private networks have more money to spend and  many tools to raise cash that CBC doesn't have.

Money that private broadcasters have earned so they can spend as they wish?  Yes, but this money earned came with the help of much government regulation over the years, that allowed them to grow into billion dollar companies that can charge and control not only the product but also the delivery of the product to the consumer.

Not sure you really mean this but you seem to be advocating for no national Canadian broadcast system at all.  You have said various times that you would favour open skies for television and streaming, that beyond news you haven't watched any Canadian programming in decades, and you are not in favour of CBC tax funding, against any cancon regulations for radio or TV, we should do away with simsub, and as you say government should not be involved in broadcasting beyond regulation.

Well, if the above were to happen there wouldn't be much left to regulate regardless. In this scenario the private broadcasters mostly would fail, and a lot of jobs.  

We would be gaining what exactly??  Oh yes, NBC Peacock (the real one) and the real HBO and CBS Access, and many others that nobody, even in the US, watches anyway.   And we will finally always get to see the real off air signal from Buffalo TV and their commercials all day long!     The real strange thing in all of this would be that "the market" or "leveling the playing field" had nothing to do with it.

October 27, 2020 3:57 pm  #18

...Meanwhile people in Waterloo region are opposed to adding $54/year to their tax bill to their sidewalks shovelled.  That's one thing I miss about living in Toronto.

You know, this whole argument has actually been fascinating reading.  My gut reaction is to not want to give the CBC a penny more than they already get.  Then again, I'll admit I do actually enjoy a lot of CBC's programming, (even Suzuki when he's not blathering the climate change/global warming mantra) $35/year is really pocket change.

To that effect, may I remind everyone of what happened in Waterloo then the UW student body voted to stop paying $5.50/term to provide 90% of the funding to CKMS.  Few people knew it existed let alone listened to it but it helped launch a number of careers, mine being one of them.

Ok, the CBC is a different kettle of fish, but the point is made.  If we could pick and choose where every tax dollar goes, someone might get left out. 

Notwithstanding $16 glasses of orange juice. 

Last edited by Peter the K (October 27, 2020 3:57 pm)

October 27, 2020 7:08 pm  #19

Staying with the numbers, Peter the K's snow shoveling levy in Waterloo is $54 per HOUSEHOLD.   

The CBC's argument works out to $34 per INDIVIDUAL, so the cost per household (Mom & Dad + 2 or 3 ankle-biters) could easily amount to $150 per annum

Am not a mathematician, so perhaps someone who is should grade the foregoing

October 27, 2020 8:21 pm  #20

I'd pay $34 per year just to support CBC's Marketplace. The ONLY program to challenge cell phone rates (and other things) in this country.  You can guess why.  As for "open skies" be careful what you wish for....  if this was really true, most Canadian broadcast/wireless/internet companies would be gone and you would be subscribing to Verizon and AT&T and supporting PBS.   Although in the words of Mr. Allan Waters before the CRTC, "Canadians don't want more Canadian programming, they want more American programming".

October 27, 2020 8:34 pm  #21

In Phase wrote:

In the words of Mr. Allan Waters before the CRTC, "Canadians don't want more Canadian programming, they want more American programming".

Unfortunately, for better or worse, I believe Mr. Waters was right.

I fully admit to being a hypocrite on this. As someone who works in the industry, I want all Canadian stations to be healthy financially so there will be jobs for people. 

But as a viewer, I want access to the channels I want and if I'm willing to pay for them (I don't endorse piracy) I feel I should be able to subscribe  - including the real HBO or Showtime and not the bastardized versions we get here. Can you imagine if, say, Time Magazine refused to allow Canadians to subscribe to their publication? "Sorry, you have to read Maclean's instead. We won't send it across the border because someone else has the rights to news in your jurisdiction." It would be absurd. 

But when it comes to TV shows, that's exactly how it works. And yes, I fully understand the concept of rights, which is causing all this, but that doesn't quench my desire to get those stations north of the border.  

So, as an industry type, I don't want it. 

Yet as a viewer, I absolutely do. 

And never the twain shall meet. 

I admit to being conflicted on this, but outside of moving down south (watching TV is not a good reason for leaving an otherwise great country like Canada!) there's no real solution for someone like me. I am forever doomed to this frustrating dichotomy. 

October 27, 2020 9:44 pm  #22

geo wrote:

Staying with the numbers, Peter the K's snow shoveling levy in Waterloo is $54 per HOUSEHOLD.   

The CBC's argument works out to $34 per INDIVIDUAL, so the cost per household (Mom & Dad + 2 or 3 ankle-biters) could easily amount to $150 per annum

Am not a mathematician, so perhaps someone who is should grade the foregoing

You are correct sir.  I stand corrected. 

October 28, 2020 8:32 am  #23

Talking to a friend who lives in the UK.  The television license fee that is paid yearly for every household to fund the BBC is currently 130 british pounds or $223.40 per household. This covers all TV's and or computer screens in the home.   For most businesses the fee (which covers computers too) the yearly fee works out to $270.60.  My friend owns a few hotels and was going to check what they need to pay since the fee for them is by the room. 

Any business or home with a computer/laptop would pay the license fee even if they don't have a TV.  This money goes directly to fund the BBC.  Boris Johnston does not like BBC and wants to cut them back. 

October 28, 2020 2:56 pm  #24

Bringing that over here,
$34 for the CBC?  Maybe. 
$223.40?  Not bloody likely.  

At what point does one draw the line?  I don't know.

October 28, 2020 3:18 pm  #25

The CBC does itself no favours whatsoever by providing a consistently extremely biased editorial slant to its news and current events coverage, across all formats, networks, platforms, languages and geographic locations nationwide.

I expect a great deal of the criticism (and critics) of the service are rooted in that downright laughable one-sidedness. It makes the "national broadcaster" argument very difficult to make when the entire oeuvre is directed at a distinct political segment of the country, to the almost complete ignorance of the rest.

October 28, 2020 4:50 pm  #26

6079 Smith W wrote:

The CBC does itself no favours whatsoever by providing a consistently extremely biased editorial slant to its news and current events coverage, across all formats, networks, platforms, languages and geographic locations nationwide.

I expect a great deal of the criticism (and critics) of the service are rooted in that downright laughable one-sidedness. It makes the "national broadcaster" argument very difficult to make when the entire oeuvre is directed at a distinct political segment of the country, to the almost complete ignorance of the rest.

I am not a big listener of CBC radio and I have heard that they are almost always left of centre on everything.  I don't find television to be that way but others seem to think that they are.  In defense of CBC news they do cover some stories and issues in more detail and occasionally from another point of view. 
When I don't agree with some of their reporting doesn't make them biased in my opinion, just a different take on the story.  I don't really mind this since I can then judge if a private network has another take on something.  But to be honest with you, generally I find CBC TV, CTV and Global to usually be singing more or less from the same song book on most stories.  CBC radio could be something else, but other than Cross Country Check Up, I don't listen that much to CBC radio which generally I find a little dull..

October 28, 2020 5:25 pm  #27

Peter the K wrote:

Bringing that over here,
$34 for the CBC?  Maybe. 
$223.40?  Not bloody likely.  

At what point does one draw the line?  I don't know.

My friend got back to me regarding the license fees for his hotels and I was shocked.  The hotels are paying $7 to $10,000 in TV license fees for each hotel per year.   Now these buildings are quite large, but that is a lot of money just for BBC, which has a lot of different channels in the UK.   I am assuming SKY cable tv or other pay tv would show up directly on the customers invoice.

They pay $270.60 for the  first 15  rooms and then $270.60 for each five  rooms after that every year.  

Taking into account the $2 billion that BBC takes in with advertising (from international services, cable fees and specialty channels that can carry ads) BBC is working with a budget of about $8 billion in Canadian dollars per year as compared to a little under $2 billion for CBC/Radio Canada when including advertising and cable fees.

October 28, 2020 5:46 pm  #28

paterson1 wrote:

6079 Smith W wrote:

I am not a big listener of CBC radio and I have heard that they are almost always left of centre on everything.  I don't find television to be that way but others seem to think that they are.  In defense of CBC news they do cover some stories and issues in more detail and occasionally from another point of view. 
When I don't agree with some of their reporting doesn't make them biased in my opinion, just a different take on the story.  I don't really mind this since I can then judge if a private network has another take on something.  But to be honest with you, generally I find CBC TV, CTV and Global to usually be singing more or less from the same song book on most stories.  CBC radio could be something else, but other than Cross Country Check Up, I don't listen that much to CBC radio which generally I find a little dull..

It’s funny you would bring up Cross Country Check-up. Despite the fact I’m not a fan of the CBC, I always downplayed those reports that they deliberately leaned overly left – although they did seem to favour a Liberal Prime Minister more than a Conservative one. But for the most part, I always thought the coverage was mostly fair.

I know it was only a single show, because I rarely listen, but back before the last federal election, I tuned into 90 minutes of the two hour Cross Country Check-Up. The topic, of course, was who are you supporting in next week’s vote? Admittedly, I missed half an hour, but I heard the rest of it.

And frankly, it floored me. Every single caller they let on the air said they were voting Liberal. Even some callers from Alberta where they didn’t elect a single member of that party! I think there might have been one person who mentioned the NDP as their choice.

But in an hour and a half, not a single caller – not one – said they were voting for the Tories. The only exception was a caller supporting the ousted Jody Wilson-Raybould, who was running as an Independent in B.C. after being kicked out by Trudeau in the SNC-Lavalin affair. But even he said he was going to go to the riding “next door” to help drum up support for the Grit candidate running there. So even the one non-Liberal voter was sort of voting Liberal!

I know the CBC attracts a lot of left-leaning listeners. But you can’t tell me in a country of over 37 million people not a single caller on a national show phoned in to say they were supporting the Conservatives. Not. One. It’s simply not believable.

If I’m not mistaken, the way the show works is that the producer screens the callers, takes their names and phone numbers to confirm they are who they say they are, and then phones them back when it’s their time to go on air. It quickly became obvious in those 90 mins. that it was entirely being skewed one way. It was so blatant, there was just no other way to interpret it.

Since then, I’ve heard more balanced coverage on other shows on the rare occasions I listen. But that was a few years ago, and it’s always stayed with me and made me very suspicious of them.

And for good reason. Just yesterday, I tuned into the local CBC News at 6 (I often graze the dial during the majors.) They had a reporter assigned to do the Sam Oosterhoff-without-a-mask-in-a-restaurant story that's bringing grief to the Ontario Conservatives. 

On the same day, Federal Liberal Health Minister Patty Hajdu was pictured without a mask at Pearson International Airport, claiming she was eating, though there was no sign of food anywhere to be seen. Not only was there no reporter assigned to that story, it wasn’t even mentioned. Every other station at least showed the pic. But it didn’t exist as far as CBC Toronto News at 6 was concerned – and it happened in this city.

Those examples don’t necessarily prove outright bias. But they sure do make you stop and wonder.

October 28, 2020 10:13 pm  #29

I am enjoying Cross Country Checkup with Ian Hanomansing, he sounds good on radio.  If that is correct and accurate with all callers saying they are going to vote Liberal then absolutely not very fair or balanced programming. Odd that other media didn't report on this like Sun/Post Media who are always looking to find a CBC bias and  scandal.   This whole post started with a Sun Media story that was (surprise) not accurate.

In terms of Sam Oosteroff this was covered by CBC, Global, Toronto Sun and CTV (attached).  I think the thing about Sam was the fact he was in a group shot of about 40 people all close together and nobody not even the kids were wearing any masks.
https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/this-is-astounding-doctor-slams-ontario-mpp-who-posed-for-photo-with-big-group-maskless-1.5162582

Health Minister Patty Hajdu was covered by all above media as well, here is the CBC.ca story.  Notice however she is sitting by herself with nobody around her.  Still not a good signal being Health Minister but quite a bit different than Oosterhoff's photo..
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/hajdu-maskless-airport-1.5777034

CBC News Network to me seems balanced.  When Erin O'Toole won the Tory leadership, he was the lead story all the next day after the win, and various times pundits and reporters complimented him on his victory speech and his campaign.

When they interviewed Erin live various times and highlighted his proposals for government never did they or he mention his proposed defunding of CBC-TV.   Other media (Post Media) accused CBC of covering this up.  CBC responded that they didn't feel it was appropriate for them to be part of the convention and there were more important things to talk about.  Obviously in a live interview O'Toole could have brought this up but he did not. 

Whenever the next federal election happens I am sure everyone will cover his proposed defunding of CBC TV if he actually plans to do this.  He wants to phase it in over 5 years and by year five would save $700-$800 million per year if all funding for CBC TV were to be cut.

I get the feeling that the whole corporation will have a big cut in funding in the coming years or CBC will change drastically.  Federal/Provincial deficits are exploding with no end in sight.  Economics always wins in the end regardless if the Conservatives or Liberals are in power. 

But if CBC funding is cut, they may go more commercial and mainstream to increase advertising and ratings.  They actually did this back in the early to mid 90's with some success when their funding was cut with big layoffs. 

October 28, 2020 10:26 pm  #30

paterson1 wrote:

When they interviewed Erin live various times and highlighted his proposals for government never did they or he mention his proposed defunding of CBC-TV. 

Only fair to point out that when O'Toole appeared on CBC Radio's "The House," which airs every Saturday morning, they did ask him about the de-funding proposal. 

It never got to air. 

The Conservatives made a big deal about it, of course, while the CBC claimed it was chopped out for "time." 

Either way, it didn't look especially good for the Corp. in this case, although they eventually did post the entire thing with the comments in it online. 

CBC says Erin O’Toole’s comments about defunding CBC were edited out “for time”