sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 1, 2016 12:38 pm  #1

Jennifer Valentyne Gone From Breakfast Television

https://www.facebook.com/BTtoronto/posts/1090352564320191?fref=nf

"We’d like to take a couple of minutes to share the news with our viewers that Jennifer Valentyne is no longer with the show. 
This move is a result of a larger BT strategy in which the Live Eyes in each market have been eliminated and replaced to give viewers more of what they want with local news and information.
As a result of the position being eliminated, we explored other on-air TV opportunities for Jennifer within the organization, but were unable to find a position which she considered comparable. 
We truly value Jenn’s talent, energy, and all of the contributions she has made to the show over the years and wish her nothing but the best in her future endeavours."

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

April 1, 2016 12:58 pm  #2

Re: Jennifer Valentyne Gone From Breakfast Television

Today is a stupid day for these announcements.  Nobody is sure if it's an April Fools joke, or someone just lost their employment.  Especially with the way Rogers have been swinging the axe lately, it's a tasteless stupid joke if it's an April fools' joke, and an insult to any former Rogers employees who have been gassed in the past few months based on the same verbiage contained in the post.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

April 1, 2016 1:00 pm  #3

+1 ig.

April 1, 2016 1:14 pm  #4

Looks like Toronto Mike did some research on this, and she is indeed no longer with the company.  Stunningly stupid move by them announcing it today of all days.  The BT facebook page is a mess of confused posts trying to figure out if it's real or not.

Off the board, if we meet, ask me what I think of HR departments in general.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

April 3, 2016 5:57 pm  #5

The Toronto Sun is leading their webpage with this on Sunday afternoon.

Breakfast Television splits with Jennifer Valentyne

Jennifer's husband cameraman Greg Valentyne also worked at City TV, but he was dumped in an earlier round of cuts in 2015.

Other than that, I love the BS excuse they used for this salary dump: "...to give viewers more of what they want with local news and information." 

I very much doubt they have any clue what viewers really want and I'd be 100% stunned if they ever asked any of them. Let's see if they actually wind up giving "any more news and information" as a result of this firing. What Rogers really wants is to save money, so eliminating Ms. Valentyne also means they can get rid of all their Live Eye ops, and their pesky paycheques as well.

Last edited by RadioActive (April 3, 2016 6:00 pm)

April 3, 2016 6:33 pm  #6

So is she going to land at CP24 or Global? 

April 3, 2016 7:32 pm  #7

Hansa wrote:

So is she going to land at CP24 or Global? 

I would say Global. I wonder if City is planning on making BT a national version of the show with the local stations producing news traffic and weather.

April 4, 2016 12:50 am  #8

Here2day wrote:

I would say Global. I wonder if City is planning on making BT a national version of the show with the local stations producing news traffic and weather.

Well considering Cityline was recently supposed to go International, it wouldn't surprise me if the same source that liked that plan also pitched a national Canada wide plan for BT.
However, there are pockets of Canada still where there is no City TV...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 4, 2016 5:00 pm  #9

Apparently Kevin and Dina finally addressed the Jen situation on this morning's BT. Did anyone catch it?  I only caught the later segment where Kevin referenced his earlier talk about Jen around 7:26am, saying that on their show they always believe in full transparency.

April 4, 2016 5:38 pm  #10

TomTV wrote:

Apparently Kevin and Dina finally addressed the Jen situation on this morning's BT. Did anyone catch it?

I wouldn't know. I stopped watching. It will be interesting to see what ratings they get up against Global TV's Morning program.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 4, 2016 5:45 pm  #11

I saw it, they asked people to stop using social media to "bully" remaining staff... it's a business.  Did say they hoped to have her back as a guest in the future.

April 4, 2016 6:21 pm  #12

Here2day wrote:

I wonder if City is planning on making BT a national version of the show with the local stations producing news traffic and weather.

In most other markets, BT's sole purpose is to cover off the mandatory local programming requirement, so that would be tricky. (though not impossible.)

April 4, 2016 7:19 pm  #13

pinto wrote:

I saw it, they asked people to stop using social media to "bully" remaining staff... it's a business.  Did say they hoped to have her back as a guest in the future.

That's rich.

April 18, 2016 4:37 pm  #14

RadioActive wrote:

The Toronto Sun is leading their webpage with this on Sunday afternoon.

Breakfast Television splits with Jennifer Valentyne

Jennifer's husband cameraman Greg Valentyne also worked at City TV, but he was dumped in an earlier round of cuts in 2015.

Other than that, I love the BS excuse they used for this salary dump: "...to give viewers more of what they want with local news and information." 

I very much doubt they have any clue what viewers really want and I'd be 100% stunned if they ever asked any of them. Let's see if they actually wind up giving "any more news and information" as a result of this firing. What Rogers really wants is to save money, so eliminating Ms. Valentyne also means they can get rid of all their Live Eye ops, and their pesky paycheques as well.

Couldn't help notice that BT Toronto did a Live Eye from the Princess Margaret Lottery draw home this morning. Makes me wonder how true the news release was.