sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

January 15, 2020 5:54 pm  #1

What Will Indie 88 Do With 2nd digital Feed ?

so far I have heard the following 

1. A few wks of just the main feed on a slight delay
2. Three or four current hits of disparate genres on a loop
3. A Few weeks of top 10 1960's oldies
4. Today they have changed to the most interesting content heard so far, Alternative music not usually heard on Indie or the Edge and some of it older.

Would be nice if they went all the way back to the 1960's for the alt mix. Also more of the music of the underground before there was something called alternative. Other-wise much of it sounds similar to my ears.

So far I have heard Johnny Cash, The Sex Pistols, The Breeders, The Chemical Brothers and The Dead Milkmen. 

Not sure if they are still stunting or if this iteration is an indication of things to come. Will have the check later if they are on a loop of a few songs. Still no audio station ID's or song info on RDS.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

January 15, 2020 8:59 pm  #2

Re: What Will Indie 88 Do With 2nd digital Feed ?

kman wrote:

This sounds awesome! Wish I could hear it, but I don't have HD.

I thought there was a way to listen online, but I think I've only found a guide...one that needs updating! 
https://hdradio.com/stations/

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

January 15, 2020 9:09 pm  #3

Radiowiz wrote:

kman wrote:

This sounds awesome! Wish I could hear it, but I don't have HD.

I thought there was a way to listen online, but I think I've only found a guide...one that needs updating! 
https://hdradio.com/stations/

I don't think they would have the HD2 feed online yet but I could be wrong.

I listened again just now and they seemed to be on a early 90's grunge binge and even some metal. Not really my cup of tea but I was happy to hear the Meat Puppets who were a pre grunge band that gained some grunge fans.

This is the first time that the station  ( can we call it that ?) is not repeating a short list of songs.

Cool Airchecks and More:

January 16, 2020 7:16 pm  #4

Depending on reach, it might fill the gap for  Rock 95 or 107.5 Kool FM listeners who want to listen in for their entire drive.  Don't know how far North the 88 signal goes though or if at some point they overlap enough to make that worthwhile.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

January 16, 2020 8:28 pm  #5

88.1's HD makes it to about Newmarket.

January 27, 2020 8:39 pm  #6

Canadian Radio News on Facebook posted this on Monday about Indie's HD feed, calling it the "permanent format:"

"Word out of Toronto is that Indie 88 (CIND) has launched the Active Rock format on 88.1 HD2. This is apparently the permanent format and core artists include Rage Against The Machine, Metallica, Alexisonfire, Chevelle and Disturbed." 

October 25, 2020 7:45 pm  #7

Indie's HD-2 feed now has its own website called "Real Rock Toronto," where you can listen even if you don't have an HD Radio. Thanks to Canadian Radio News for the info. On the CRN Facebook page is a posting with this promise for the station: 

"Coming soon: song info. Not coming anytime soon: hosts & commercials. Enjoy." 

Real Rock Toronto Website

October 25, 2020 8:23 pm  #8

RadioActive wrote:

Indie's HD-2 feed now has its own website called "Real Rock Toronto," where you can listen even if you don't have an HD Radio. Thanks to Canadian Radio News for the info. On the CRN Facebook page is a posting with this promise for the station: 

"Coming soon: song info. Not coming anytime soon: hosts & commercials. Enjoy." 

Real Rock Toronto Website

A few days ago I actually heard a station ID for the very first time on the HD2 feed. They have reverted back to active rock after giving it up for a while. I believe they reverted back to it shortly after the latest ratings were released for the main Indie station. There was a period in the middle when the playlists for the two feeds were very similar.

Cool Airchecks and More:

October 26, 2020 11:40 am  #9

Now... they need to promote it if they hope to get numbers on it.  Good for them doing something unique on HD vs just putting something already available in the marketplace.   People will only care if it's content people want, they know it's there via promotion, and it's something different than is already available in the marketplace on their current radio lineup. 

Will they be commercial free forever?  NO!   but if they do it right, they can likely justify selling it!   2 to 4 profit streams off one transmitter is very appealing if it works, but it will only work if people know it's there and not hoping people just land on it. 

Last edited by radiokid (October 26, 2020 11:41 am)

October 26, 2020 11:48 am  #10

radiokid wrote:

Now... they need to promote it if they hope to get numbers on it.  Good for them doing something unique on HD vs just putting something already available in the marketplace.   People will only care if it's content people want, they know it's there via promotion, and it's something different than is already available in the marketplace on their current radio lineup. 

Will they be commercial free forever?  NO!   but if they do it right, they can likely justify selling it!   2 to 4 profit streams off one transmitter is very appealing if it works, but it will only work if people know it's there and not hoping people just land on it. 

They really need to get a morning show up and running ASAP & Afternoon drive if they are serious.
Other shifts can fit in if the budget allows it. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 26, 2020 6:58 pm  #11

Radiowiz wrote:

They really need to get a morning show up and running ASAP & Afternoon drive if they are serious.

I wouldn't count on it. 

There hasn't been a single example of an HD station getting any ratings anywhere, and many south of the border have legitimately tried. The technology just isn't ubiquitous (irony!) enough to play well with the low sample rates of ratings systems. 

They could maybe sell the whole thing to a single client, or maybe they see it as a flanker, but beyond that there's not much point.

October 26, 2020 8:09 pm  #12

RadioAaron wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

I wouldn't count on it. 

There hasn't been a single example of an HD station getting any ratings anywhere, and many south of the border have legitimately tried. The technology just isn't ubiquitous (irony!) enough to play well with the low sample rates of ratings systems. 

They could maybe sell the whole thing to a single client, or maybe they see it as a flanker, but beyond that there's not much point.

I tend to agree.  I think we are far away from HD having hosts unless they are shared from other properties via voice tracking, which I think could be done with little added cost.    Wave.fm is a great example of how it can be done.

October 26, 2020 9:31 pm  #13

I remember when AM stereo was going to be the saviour.