sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 18, 2016 1:38 am  #1

CBS TV Show Pulls Out Every Toronto Cliche In The Book

This isn't about Canadian radio or TV per se . Instead it's a comment about U.S. television - particularly, Sunday's episode of "The Good Wife," which airs on Global in Canada. Without getting into too much detail, a large part of the plot centered on a wanted Edward Snowden-type character, who landed at Toronto's Pearson Int'l. Airport to cross back into the United States for his mother's funeral. He was detained by American security officials, who claim he'd crossed into U.S. space at the terminal and was immediately arrested.

Those who saw it will know that a huge section of the hour-long show was devoted to every worn-out cliche about Canada and Toronto you could imagine. One American character said she "hated Toronto. It's too clean." Another commented on how everyone was way too polite.  

They introduced a justice of the peace character, who took great pains to note she should be addressed as "Your Worship, not Your Honour, because that's the way we do things in Canada." This judge continually made snide remarks about Americans, at one point talking about how rude they're supposed to be (while being incredibly rude herself), and even getting in a dig about our "superior" health care system. 

In another part of the show, there's a C-SIS-like spy agency listening in on people's phone calls. One of the agents is wearing a Toronto Blue Jays jersey, and his desk is festooned with Jays posters and logos. At one point, he's seen playing a game with a colleague which consists of naming a famous person and then trying to guess if they're American or Canadian. Because that's what all Canuck spies do with their down time. 

There was even the de rigueur shot of the CN Tower, pictured on a "welcome to Toronto" poster (written in French, of course) as a character came up an escalator. 

Well, at least there were no remarks about the weather. 

About the only thing they got right - and this surprised me - is that Peel Regional Police are the force on patrol at Pearson. I'm surprised they've even heard of them. But at least that was accurate. 

I'm not usually critical of stuff like this, I'm hardly anti-American and in the long run, it really doesn't matter much. But this has been such a well written and brilliantly crafted show for so many years, it was a real shame to see it sink to the level of absurd cliches. Bob and Doug McKenzie were more accurate than this thing. After seven mostly wonderful seasons, "The Good Wife" ends its run in a few weeks. The Bad Canadian Cliches, it seems, will go on on American TV for many more years to come.  

Last edited by RadioActive (April 18, 2016 1:40 am)

April 18, 2016 6:07 am  #2

Re: CBS TV Show Pulls Out Every Toronto Cliche In The Book

Blame Rick Mercer, he started it

April 18, 2016 10:21 am  #3

=12pxAbout the only thing they got right - and this surprised me - is that Peel Regional Police are the force on patrol at Pearson. I'm surprised they've even heard of them. But at least that was accurate. 

Pearson is in Peel Region but isn't it the RCMP who actually police the airport? They also had airport announcements in English only rather than English and French (and let's not get started on whether the same JP would hear a jurisdictional, extradition, and asylum hearing - I'm pretty sure the latter two would be heard by judges rather than JPs. 

April 18, 2016 11:15 am  #4

I was just surprised they'd even bother to mention Peel Regional Police, since most Americans would never have heard of them and might have thought Toronto cops were responsible. (According to no less an authority than Wikipedia, "Toronto Pearson International Airport is patrolled mainly by Peel Regional Police Airport Division officers, but are assisted by the RCMP's Toronto Airport Detachment. Before 1997 the RCMP was responsible for all policing at Pearson Airport."

And don't forget the endless P.A. announcements that didn't concentrate on departures, arrivals, parking or other normal airport business. Instead it constantly reminded patrons that there was no smoking in the terminal but there were designated areas for puffing. It was absurd to think they would hold a hearing in the place they did. I'm sure there are private rooms in the airport. Instead, they were placed in the middle of an open public area, specifically so those announcements would become part of the scene. Ridiculous.   

April 18, 2016 3:10 pm  #5

The Canadian Press also took notice of this. But remember you heard it here first!

'The Good Wife' went to Toronto and no stereotype was spared