sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 22, 2020 12:57 pm  #1

Embarrassing for Canadians

AM talk show panelist Michael Taube wrote a column for the Washington Post that is pretty embarrassing for most Canadians. Americans aren’t buying it either if you read the comments.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/10/22/why-canadians-should-root-another-trump-term/

October 22, 2020 1:07 pm  #2

Re: Embarrassing for Canadians

Most of the Washington Post's Canadian columnists are embarrassing - they don't actually appear in the print edition AFAIK, it's just a pathetic attempt to get Canadians to subscribe to the digital version but I don't know anyone who would pay $1 a month to read Taube, J.J. McCollough or Nora Loreto. Those three have trouble enough getting Canadian media to publish them, it's odd that WaPo would pick them up as tribunes of Canada. 

Last edited by Hansa (October 22, 2020 1:08 pm)

October 22, 2020 3:12 pm  #3

Hammy wrote:

AM talk show panelist Michael Taube wrote a column for the Washington Post that is pretty embarrassing for most Canadians. Americans aren’t buying it either if you read the comments.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/10/22/why-canadians-should-root-another-trump-term/

Trump Derangement Syndrome is the deadliest virus we have seen in our lifetimes. It gets inside the heads of even the brightest among us, blinding them from otherwise sensible speech, thought and words such as the well-written article cited above and its cogent points about the chosen material.

October 22, 2020 3:18 pm  #4

The Washington Post has a few Canadian contributors as Hansa mentioned and often they do seem to publicly trash their home country.  Some is warranted, some not so much. 

I am most familiar with  JJ McCullough who was a pundit for a while years ago on CTV News Network and on the short lived Sun News TV.  McCullough is quite pro USA, nothing wrong with that, but he has it in his head that almost all Canadians inherently dislike the US.  So he comes across as overly defensive of things American and his articles seem to mock or belittle many things Canadian. 

He appears to be the type of person who would really rather be working/living in the US but can't get a green card or permanent full time work stateside.  And he is frustrated since he doesn't really get published much here or shows up very often on Canadian TV and radio. He complains that Canadians are always comparing themselves to the US.  He does the same thing every week in his Washington Post articles, except in reverse.  

He is forever comparing our system of government, which he hates, to the US which usually he admires. McCullough delves into culture from time to time and naturally everything we do is second rate, not that good and we should just throw up the white flag and surrender to our relatives to the south. He referred Tragically Hip as a second rate band presumably because they were unknown outside of Canada.

Of late he has been taking a lot of pot shots at our supreme court as compared to the US which again he feels is superior since it has a lot more checks and balances.    Also he has no time for the monarchy, and everything associated with it. But I think his real distaste about the monarchy and our legal system is the fact they are two important areas that make us different from the US.  

In fairness however, JJ does have a very interesting and entertaining Youtube channel which isn't quite as negative about the country and is more balanced than his articles or tweets.   He does have a sense of humour which comes through on his generally well researched and thought provoking video segments. And he does talk a lot about Canadian issues even though most of his viewership is international.

I think McCullough and more writers like him should be featured pundit/commentators on TV or radio here.  We have too many that have been on CBC TV/Radio, CTV even Global too long,  and appear too often. Many of this old guard don't have much new to say, and frankly most are boring as hell.

October 22, 2020 4:39 pm  #5

6079 Smith W wrote:

Trump Derangement Syndrome is the deadliest virus we have seen in our lifetimes.

What about the "lifetimes" needlessly cut short during 2020? Consider the countless families worldwide who would strongly disagree with your statement.

October 22, 2020 5:31 pm  #6

The Post has been the best paper for coverage of U.S. politics in the Trump age, although they have a few Trump cultists on the payroll, including Marc Thiessen and Hugh Hewitt. If you support Trump at this point you are definitely racist at the very least. No grey area.

October 23, 2020 1:20 pm  #7

Holliday wrote:

If you support Trump at this point you are definitely racist at the very least. No grey area.

What a ridiculous thing to say about hundreds of millions of people, with zero evidence.

On the other hand, what a perfect illustration of my point about Trump Derangement Syndrome - it can take what I presume to be an otherwise rational-thinking human being and cause them to make patently ridiculous assertions completely devoid of sense and logic, based purely on hate and other base emotions.

October 23, 2020 1:38 pm  #8

“Zero evidence.”
I used to engage in arguments with members of the Trump cult, but have come to realize it’s futile, as any good argument has to be based on a common set of facts. Trumpers don’t believe in facts, especially if they contradict what Fox or Dear Leader would have them believe.

October 23, 2020 1:47 pm  #9

Holliday wrote:

“Zero evidence.”
I used to engage in arguments with members of the Trump cult, but have come to realize it’s futile, as any good argument has to be based on a common set of facts. Trumpers don’t believe in facts, especially if they contradict what Fox or Dear Leader would have them believe.

If your point is to provide a textbook example of bigotry, then you have done it perfectly with your own example.

You, sir, are a bigot, who obstinately or unreasonably attaches to a belief, opinion, or faction; in particular, prejudice against a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.

Only you can know why you insist on demeaning the lives, motivations and integrity of hundreds of millions of people you have never met and for the most part will never meet and know, based presumably on your perception of how others ought to think and why on earth they have not evolved to the point of thinking like you.

October 23, 2020 2:05 pm  #10

It's always a bit bizarre to see Canadians passionately debate US politics (I do it too). Yes, we are impacted by it not only because the US is still the most powerful country in the world, but also because we're next door, but I'm always surprised by some Canadians who argue US politics as if they are Americans and if they themselves are Democrats or Republicans. Not your country, not your parties, not your vote. 

October 23, 2020 2:08 pm  #11

And all this has to do with local or other broadcasting how? 

The truth is that there will never be a consensus among either persuasion and I suspect those on either side of this debate know it. As Hansa noted, what's really ironic is that Canadians ultimately have absolutely no say in how this comes out either way. Before this gets out of hand completely, can we kindly stop the name calling on both sides and get back to dealing with TV and radio? 

Or I may just have to call in Kristen Welker!

Thanks.