sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 6, 2020 11:17 am  #1

Quibi Launched On Monday But Is There Anything Worth Watching?

If you haven't heard of Quibi, it's got quite a pedigree, including the former head of Disney Jeffrey Katezenberg. Its gimmick? It's made to be watched on a cell phone and no episode of any show is longer than about 8-10 minutes. But according to a preview in the Hollywood Reporter, the fact the shows are shorter doesn't mean they're any more worth watching. 

After reading the article below, I wouldn't have any desire to pay even a small amount of money to see this. It reminds me of that old Saturday Night Live sketch called "Short Attention Span Theatre." But others may feel differently. I'll be curious to see if this is the next big thing - or the next old one. 

Quibi Reviews: The Good, the Bad & the Meh

List of Quibi Shows

April 6, 2020 11:27 am  #2

Re: Quibi Launched On Monday But Is There Anything Worth Watching?

Not that they controlled this, but what a great time to launch a mobile-only, short-form streaming service.

April 6, 2020 11:52 am  #3

Retaw wrote:

Not that they controlled this, but what a great time to launch a mobile-only, short-form streaming service.

That was noted in the very first sentence of the linked story:

"Quibi is either launching at exactly the wrong time or exactly the right time."

So if it doesn't work, I suppose they have less excuse than usual. 

April 7, 2020 12:03 am  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Retaw wrote:

That was noted in the very first sentence of the linked story:

"Quibi is either launching at exactly the wrong time or exactly the right time."

So if it doesn't work, I suppose they have less excuse than usual. 

Help RA, totally missed this somehow that you'd already posted about Quibi .... I've seen the ads for the short episodes of a couple of the suspense/horror/thriller shows on YouTube and some look surprisingly good with fairly major star power for actors, Sophie Turner from Game of Thrones, one of the Hemsworth hunks, etc and then there's the Canadian news show anchored by one of the fill-in co-hosts from the afternoon drive show on Newstalk 1010 last week, I can't remember her name but I enjoyed her on the radio.

I'd watch it if it meant watching ads a la YouTube, but fork money over, especially now? Meh.😏

Last edited by betaylored (April 7, 2020 4:37 am)

April 7, 2020 5:43 pm  #5

October 21, 2020 4:30 pm  #6

October 22, 2020 3:56 am  #7

RadioActive wrote:

Well, that didn't take long. 

Quibi To Shut Down, Ending $2B Streaming Experiment

Quibi quickly quoaked.

October 22, 2020 10:04 am  #8

betaylored wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Well, that didn't take long. 

Quibi To Shut Down, Ending $2B Streaming Experiment

Quibi quickly quoaked.

October 23, 2020 11:09 am  #9

The question I have about the following headline is simple: Why?

Bell Media to continue production on Quibi shows

“At this time, SPORTS AM BY TSN and NEWSDAY BY CTV NEWS and NEWSNIGHT BY CTV NEWS are continuing production," said Rob Duffy, Manager, Communications for CTV News, TSN and Bell Media Sports. "There are no further updates at this time.”