sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 19, 2020 2:52 pm  #1

City TV & CBC-TV Real Time Live Feeds Available Over The Web

It may have been going on for a while, but I wasn't aware of this until now - and they certainly haven't done anything to advertise it. But it turns out you can watch a live feed of City TV Toronto - and not just its newscasts, like many other services provide. There is a real time feed of the station, which I assume is only available in Canada. Also unusual - they don't ask you to sign in. 

This really surprises me, since most commercial TV stations give you access to previously aired shows for a limited time on the web - but I don't know of many that make an actual live feed available. Not sure if this applies to primetime programs, although there's no indication that it doesn't. 

City TV Live Video Stream

CBC-TV is also available live over its GEM site, although for some reason, I'm redirected to the Ottawa feed.  

CBC-TV Live Feed

Global does have something similar, but you have to sign in through a cable provider to get it. And if you're watching OTA, you're SOL, which doesn't quite seem fair, since their main channel is sent over the air. 

CTV's CFTO doesn't offer this option as far as I can see. Neither does TVO. 

But if you're ever stuck somewhere and want to see one of your favourite shows it owns in real time, the City feed is a good option. 

October 19, 2020 3:06 pm  #2

Re: City TV & CBC-TV Real Time Live Feeds Available Over The Web

Turns out CHCH also has a live stream of sorts, but it's pretty much limited and therefore almost useless. You don't get the good stuff, like all those great old TV shows.

Here's when it's accessible:

CHCH Evening News: Seven Days a Week, 6pm & 11pm
Morning Live: Monday-Friday, 6am
Inside the Story: Monday-Saturday, 7pm
20/20: Fridays 9pm 

And that's it.

October 19, 2020 5:54 pm  #3

RadioActive wrote:

Turns out CHCH also has a live stream of sorts, but it's pretty much limited and therefore almost useless. You don't get the good stuff, like all those great old TV shows.

Here's when it's accessible:

CHCH Evening News: Seven Days a Week, 6pm & 11pm
Morning Live: Monday-Friday, 6am
Inside the Story: Monday-Saturday, 7pm
20/20: Fridays 9pm 

And that's it.

That is pretty much what is available on most US stations. Local newscasts or extended coverage of hurricanes, severe snowstorms etc.

October 20, 2020 4:53 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

It may have been going on for a while, but I wasn't aware of this until now - and they certainly haven't done anything to advertise it. But it turns out you can watch a live feed of City TV Toronto - and not just its newscasts, like many other services provide. There is a real time feed of the station, which I assume is only available in Canada. Also unusual - they don't ask you to sign in. 

This really surprises me, since most commercial TV stations give you access to previously aired shows for a limited time on the web - but I don't know of many that make an actual live feed available. Not sure if this applies to primetime programs, although there's no indication that it doesn't. 

City TV Live Video Stream

CBC-TV is also available live over its GEM site, although for some reason, I'm redirected to the Ottawa feed.  

CBC-TV Live Feed

Global does have something similar, but you have to sign in through a cable provider to get it. And if you're watching OTA, you're SOL, which doesn't quite seem fair, since their main channel is sent over the air. 

CTV's CFTO doesn't offer this option as far as I can see. Neither does TVO. 

But if you're ever stuck somewhere and want to see one of your favourite shows it owns in real time, the City feed is a good option. 

Global TV, CTV, and CTV 2 have been available online for sometime, albeit with a cable TV subscription. In Global's case, they also make their live local TV newscasts available for free for 7 of their stations on the Global TV app, and all of their stations on their news website. 

It's quite unusual that Citytv is allowing online users to watch their signals without a cable subscription, but hey let's enjoy it while it lasts. 

For CBC, all 14 of their English stations are available on the CBC Gem website and app, you just have to sign up for a FREE CBC account, and you can set the default CBC station to your local one. 

October 20, 2020 4:57 pm  #5

Also it looks like the Citytv website detects your location, and provides you with your nearest Citytv station. 

October 20, 2020 5:03 pm  #6

There's I guess what might be third party sites where I can stream CNN and MSNBC. I sometimes listen in MSNBC on Tune In in the car but as of yesterday I got a message that "that service is not available in your area." Too bad as Tune In is less data intensive since it's audio only.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

October 20, 2020 5:08 pm  #7

ED1 wrote:

Global TV, CTV, and CTV 2 have been available online for sometime, albeit with a cable TV subscription. In Global's case, they also make their live local TV newscasts available for free for 7 of their stations on the Global TV app, and all of their stations on their news website. 

The owners of these stations are free to do whatever they want, of course, but it's pretty sleazy that if you get the station in question over the air they won't let you watch it online without a cable or satellite subscription. It amazes me that Rogers is the one who doesn't.  

October 21, 2020 1:00 am  #8

RadioActive wrote:

The owners of these stations are free to do whatever they want, of course, but it's pretty sleazy that if you get the station in question over the air they won't let you watch it online without a cable or satellite subscription. It amazes me that Rogers is the one who doesn't.  

Rogers does not surprise me at all. Try watching with an ad blocker on. No dice. 
You're forced to turn your ad blocker off in order to watch.
They've set themselves up so you can watch City TV while potentially getting all the banner advertising they desire to display outside of the City TV screen made available. 
(Notice the black space to the right. Most likely will soon be for Rogers products, like the newest smart phone + Rogers service, no doubt.)

Last edited by Radiowiz (October 21, 2020 1:04 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 21, 2020 1:32 am  #9

Fitz wrote:

There's I guess what might be third party sites where I can stream CNN and MSNBC. I sometimes listen in MSNBC on Tune In in the car but as of yesterday I got a message that "that service is not available in your area." Too bad as Tune In is less data intensive since it's audio only.

Download the NBC News app and tap the headphones at the bottom.  It's still available there.

October 21, 2020 9:14 am  #10

Prod Guy wrote:

Fitz wrote:

Download the NBC News app and tap the headphones at the bottom.  It's still available there.

That worked !

Thank you very much. Hope it stays as the App audio says "powered by Tune In"

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/