sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 19, 2020 11:57 pm  #1

93.7 K-Country Georgina on-air

Turned radio on at 404 Davis Drive, it was solid with RDS, pretty powerful signal in North Kawarthas. As a DXer I wish it wasn't so dominant, but I've got to hand it to any organization that can launch a radio station in the thick of Covid. I think Torres will do well. They do need to correct the RDS program info that says "Spanish music"... Says they're testing, with planned Nov 8 launch... I read in the Georgina Post freebie that the delay from the planned Labour Day launch was due to challenge getting the transmitter from Italy during Covid...

October 20, 2020 7:11 am  #2

Re: 93.7 K-Country Georgina on-air

No sign of it in Peterborough which I find odd

October 20, 2020 10:44 am  #3

Andy, it's all CKOL Campbellford, right? 
Actually, it was great in the car coming up, but with blockage to the west on our small road I noticed it getting chewed up. Here at my site south of Kinmount, on a portable, it's mid-range in signal quality, and I can hear another country in there (Owen Sound). For listening purposes, it qualifies as a semi-local - I'll be able to listen if the antenna is aimed with even relative precision. For DX purposes I'll be able to null the signal pretty well entirely unless groundwave enhancement conditions strengthen it considerably -and that will work for e-skip and decidedly strong tropo. 93.7 is done for as a meteor scatter channel because even with only Owen Sound and Buffalo 93.7 was only occasionally clear enough to sit for random and very abrupt and momentary signal pop-ins. Glad I had St. Louis by tropo there last month!  

October 20, 2020 10:55 am  #4

CKOL and Buffalo only. I cannot believe I cannot hear a trace of it. But the antenna is only 200' up, if that

Last edited by andysradio (October 20, 2020 11:19 am)

October 20, 2020 12:35 pm  #5

You might just be outside a contour, or more likely your reception slightly favours other directions. Also, if you're right in Peterborough then there are things that can impair reception even on FM. I notice when I drive outside form an urban area, even a small town, that reception picks up considerably. You may have a good enough tower but still be in a relatively low area... I was kidding about CKOL. If you get that regularly then maybe your location favours southeast...

December 12, 2020 3:37 am  #6

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.