sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 8, 2020 11:28 am  #1

CBS' Great Eye-rony

I know most people won't care about this stuff, but I've always been interested in network TV logos and how they change over time. On Thursday, CBS revealed a brand new streamlined look - along with a 5 tone audio tag - that you'll soon be seeing every time you watch that network.

CBS Streamlines Brand Identity To Stand Out In Streaming Landscape, Preserving The Eye And Adding 5-Tone Audio Tag

(I haven't heard CBS' yet, but NBC has had their musical sting almost since it first went on the air in the 30s. In case you didn't know, those are the notes "G,E,C," which stood for "General Electric Company," their original owner. Those iconic three notes are still used to this day.)

Anyway, I can only imagine how much money CBS spent on the redesign, an attempt to rebrand the network. So what's the irony? Just this. On the same day, the Eye Network unveils this major change, I found this headline - on the CBS News site!

The Truth About Branding: It's Useless  

Talk about a mixed message!

October 8, 2020 11:46 am  #2

Re: CBS' Great Eye-rony

Lets hope all of the "Brand Managers" out there take note...  less they just become bland managers...

October 8, 2020 12:31 pm  #3

In The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy Arthur Dent finds himself on a planet populated with marketing consultants.  They have invented the wheel. And it's square.
Dent rants at them that they are hopeless, and they are all going to die.
One marketing consultant replies, "Oh yeah smart guy, what colour would you make it?"

October 8, 2020 12:38 pm  #4

I finally found a sample of the new logo and the sound that goes with it. It's no NBC chime! 

You can see it here. 

October 8, 2020 2:14 pm  #5

If you go to logopedia you can view almost any products logo history. ABC had four logo changes from 1945-62. They have pretty much stayed with the abc circle since 1962. Before the Eye logo arrived in 1951, CBS had two previous logos from 1941-47 and 1947-51. NBC has used thirteen logos dating back to 1926. The peacock wasn't used as part of their logo until 1979. The "Snake" used from 1959-75 is the logo most people remember.   From its introduction in 1956, the peacock was used to announce colour programming on the network until 1975. PBS has had six logo changes since arriving in 1970. It's predecessor, NET, had seven logo changes from 1952-70.

October 8, 2020 2:30 pm  #6

RadioActive wrote:

I finally found a sample of the new logo and the sound that goes with it. It's no NBC chime! 

You can see it here. 

Kinda sounds like they stole that chime from the Weakest Link. 
(The part where the next round begins)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 8, 2020 8:12 pm  #7

RadioActive wrote:

You can see it here. 

Wow, that was a letdown.

Although I'm sure somebody got paid a nice fat bonus for coming up with that. 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

October 8, 2020 8:39 pm  #8

Paul Jeffries wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

You can see it here. 

Wow, that was a letdown.

PJ

Yep. I'd love to know the price tag for that gem. Want to bet it's in the 6 figure range? I'm in the wrong business!

October 8, 2020 10:38 pm  #9

It sounds like the Intel audio logo.

https://youtu.be/-ihRPi4wcBY

October 9, 2020 1:36 am  #10

Prod Guy wrote:

It sounds like the Intel audio logo.

https://youtu.be/-ihRPi4wcBY

Yup! I'll agree with that also.  

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

October 9, 2020 2:03 am  #11

RadioActive wrote:

Paul Jeffries wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

You can see it here. 

Wow, that was a letdown.

PJ

Yep. I'd love to know the price tag for that gem. Want to bet it's in the 6 figure range? I'm in the wrong business!

Add a couple of zeros to that.