sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

October 5, 2020 10:08 pm  #1

What happens when the commercial you're in limits your career

I love the Alpine Credits ads and the "Approved" guy, but what happens when it is time to move on? Will he have a hard time getting a new gig?

This brings up the Popeyes Chicken girl, or the A and W guy, or this guy from the old Rogers Cell phone ads...the smug my phone works guy, had a hard time landing an acting gig for a few years after the commercials he was in were changed.

He finally got an acting gig in a Hallmark Love Story made for T.V. movie...but it took a while.

So my question is this ...do you take a commercial gig, even though it could limit you career for a few years to come...only because you've been embedded in the minds of listeners or viewers as the A & W guy or the Approved guy or the Chicken woman...

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (October 5, 2020 10:09 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

October 6, 2020 8:00 am  #2

Re: What happens when the commercial you're in limits your career

Some actors have become extremely well off financially by playing only one character. Virginia Christine-Folgers Mrs. Olsen, Jane Whithers- Comet Cleanser's Josephine The Plumber [still with us at 94!]   Dick Wilson "Don't Squeeze The Charmin"  Jan Miner-Madge "You're Soaking In It" The Manicurist for Palmolive dish soap and Jessee White-Maytag Repairman.

October 6, 2020 8:43 am  #3

Frankie D  of D'Angelo Brands...

October 6, 2020 10:47 am  #4

grilled.cheese wrote:

Glen Warren wrote:

Frankie D  of D'Angelo Brands...

He has a successful TV show, MMA career, singing career.  He's also a best selling author and has one many awards at film festivals. 

I did not know of all this...  I've only heard (of) promos for a radio show of some type.

October 6, 2020 12:17 pm  #5

I see they've brought back the Philly cream cheese angel woman.  The actress has put on weight.  But I'll bet she hasn't had much work because of getting stereotyped for years. Bet she's glad the gig is revived.

October 6, 2020 1:15 pm  #6

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

I love the Alpine Credits ads and the "Approved" guy, but what happens when it is time to move on? Will he have a hard time getting a new gig?

I can't see why the Alpine guy would have an issue getting work. His radio work obviously doesn't show his face, so there's no way he'd be recognized. And even the TV version of the spot shows an animated figure, so again no typecasting there. Most of us don't even know his name.

He can probably continue to do the spots as long as they run with no detrimental career effects - not to mention the money he gets for the campaign. This is a win/win for him as long as it lasts.    

October 6, 2020 7:09 pm  #7

The “Rogers guy” is Levi Macdougall. He was a regular on the Toronto stand-up scene before going south, first to write for Demetri Martin’s show, and then to Conan. He’s currently a writer/performer for Conan’s late night show.
Being the product person is pretty lucrative. I recall auditioning for Pizza Hut many years ago. It would have been 3 spots and a guaranteed $100K for the year. (Contractually could not eat competitors product among other things.) That was just for Canada. U.S. is even crazier. Not a bad trade off.
Jared Fogel from Subway made about $15 million dollars over the years. Forbes had an article about commercial payoffs a few years back:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/seamuskirst/2015/12/25/six-people-who-have-made-a-fortune-acting-in-commercials/