sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 13, 2016 7:30 pm  #1

10 classic rock songs that radio stations need to stop playing now

Further to the discussion about the Fonz's listening habits...

But wouldn't this wipe out 90% of Q107's playlist?

10 classic rock songs that radio stations need to stop playing now

April 13, 2016 8:06 pm  #2

Re: 10 classic rock songs that radio stations need to stop playing now

Q107 plays Bon Scott-era AC/DC? One would think that Q's sleepy pothead boomer army would be outraged.

April 13, 2016 9:17 pm  #3

Don't forget Q107 CanCon staples...they have played these great tunes to a miserable death...you can pretty much hear one of these songs every 90 minutes for the past 30 years.

American Woman/These Eyes/No Sugar Tonight- Guess Who
Oowatanite/You Could Have Been a Lady - April Wine
Lay it on the Line/Magic Power - Triumph
The Night They Drove Ole Dixie Down/Up On Cripple Creek - The Band
The Kid is Hot Tonight/Turn Me Loose - Loverboy
Tom Sawyer/Subdivisions - Rush
The Needle and the Damage Done/Cinnamon Girl - Neil Young
Run to You/Summer of 69 - Bryan Adams

April 13, 2016 10:27 pm  #4

Programming at ALL oldies stations is destined to fail because it is done incorrectly/stupidly by fools with no long term plan.  Burn out your core library and you're toast.  It is not the current top 30 mentality that works here.

Mind you the whole top 30 thing is ever-so-poorly done as well.  The first thing a potential p d has to have going in their favour in order to find favour with those hiring?  You have to be a complete, no-holds-barred nincompoop. 

And guess what?  You qualify.

April 13, 2016 11:08 pm  #5

They forgot Heartless by Heart.  Good song but I never have to hear that one again.

- Not an industry person.  Just a guy with a love of Toronto radio. 

April 14, 2016 7:21 am  #6

Old Codger wrote:

Programming at ALL oldies stations is destined to fail because it is done incorrectly/stupidly by fools with no long term plan

Please post a half dozen titles that qualify as CanCon (Beach Boys Pet Shop doesn't) AND are recognizable by Q-107's target audience/demographics

April 14, 2016 8:13 am  #7

Why?  What good are 6 more songs if they get played every day?  They'll be toast by labour day.  Q...and every other music FM played 50% non hits across Canada for years.  THOSE songs are all recognizable to an oldies audience.  EXPAND your choking horizons 'el stupidos'.  Your predecessors already did the hard work.  Utilize it.

Duh!!!

April 14, 2016 8:17 am  #8

By the way...I am NOT referring to once a week specialty shows.  I'm talking about ongoing, daily, rolling, 24 hour a day programming.

April 14, 2016 8:19 am  #9

Old Codger wrote:

Why?  What good are 6 more songs if they get played every day?  They'll be toast by labour day.Duh!!!

Your six titles added to existing CanCon mix could help dilute what is generally agreed here to be a problem.    Can you do it or not?

Duh!!! 

April 14, 2016 9:22 am  #10

Sure.  What's the format?  Q?  Now?  Or classic Q?

I don't know what they're including these days really.

First...go to the better selling lps and LISTEN to them.

From American Woman, Guess Who...Proper Stranger
From The Best of A Foot in Cold Water...Isn't Love Unkind In My Life
From Rooftops and Satellites, Colin James...Johnny Coolman [Or is that too new?  It shouldn't be.  2009]
From Hot Shots, Trooper...Baby Won't You Please Come Home  [Isn't this the biggest selling CDN Rock album ever?]
From Stink, McKenna Mendelson Mainline...Better Watch Out  [Big BEFORE the regs wasn't it?]
Sloan, Believe In Me  [too new again?  2008]

There are umpteen songs available to play from Crowbar who dominated the stages of Southern Ontario for a solid chunk of years.  David Wilcox has recorded tons of great tunes.  Pick 5.  Bruce Cockburn is still gettin' 'er done.  Who has time to do all of their work for them?  Go back to 3 or 4 songs from the Ugly Ducklings...The Hawks with and w/o Rompin' Ronnie for goodness sake.  Bring it up through a few Stampeders [Wild Eyes get any airplay anymore?] and Ian Thomas [Liars anyone?]  tunes.  Prism, Saga, Steppenwolf, The Paupers, Kensington Market, Red Rider, King Biscuit Boy, The Downchild Blues Band, Dr. Music, Fludd, Gowan [Isn't he at least good enough for Styx?], The Mandala/Dom Troiano, Rhinocerous, Rock/Hyde/Payolas...

This is easy...IF you have any ears...and don't depend on the narrow and evaporating slim pickins' of what's 'safe.  Rush and Hip poisoning anyone?  'They' did those 2 groups a disservice.

April 14, 2016 9:46 am  #11

Old Codger wrote:

This is easy...IF you have any ears...and don't depend on the narrow and evaporating slim pickins' of what's 'safe.  Rush and Hip poisoning anyone?  'They' did those 2 groups a disservice.

This was always the XM versus Sirius argument.  Respectively Beta and VHS.

XM hired musicologists who loved their formats, dug deep and rebelled at the first signs of radio station management style tricks.  Lee Abrams had a lot to do with that.  He wanted people programing the music channels who loved and lived that specific channel.  Every few hours there was supposed to be a 'holy shit' moment for the listeners where something they had long forgotten crept up.

Sirius emulated terrestrial radio stations in a satellite environment.

The holy grail at XM were the country stations.  The entire industry, both XM and Sirius were built by the long distance truckers.  They were the early adopters and always had the floor when it came to how things were done.  From there, it divided between the audiophile/music lovers at XM and the radio listeners who wanted to drive from New York to LA uninterrupted listening to Sirius.  Neither was wrong, just different users.

In the end, just like terrestrial radio, the 'radio / ipod / familiar playlist' users won out.   The writing on the wall was apparent when Erik Logan was hired at XM.  All about the safe sizzle.  He was the Antithesis of Lee Abrams.   If you ever worked with John Hayes at Corus, you worked with Erik Logan.   It wasn't about 'original thought' or playlists from the heart.  Indeed you wouldn't last long if that's how you continued to perform.  It became about tested, consulted, tried and true formats that would generate ears and income from a broad range of listeners.  Playlists were slashed from the thousands to the low hundreds.   And if you're a shareholder, or one of the majority of listeners, you were happy.  The shareholders finally saw some profit, and the listeners didn't tune out, and the ratings moved up.  And the 'radio people' screamed like stuck pigs.

Who survived?

Deep playlists win with incredibly tight niche groups, but inevitably don't work because the audience just won't show up.  It's one of the frustrations of radio programmers who want to program with their heart, but understand they need to program for their pocket book.  The ones who don't understand that, don't last long.

Madness takes its toll.  Please have exact change.

April 14, 2016 9:50 am  #12

grilled.cheese wrote:

I love Rush but I cringe when I hear "Coming up next is a favourite from Rush....Tom Sawyer!"

Moxy Fruvous had a terrific drummer - why isn't it on anyone's list?

April 14, 2016 11:07 am  #13

This thread reminds me of the songs you shouldnt play at a music store when your trying out a guitar.

Stairway to heaven
Smoke on the water
TNT
Nothing Else Matters

To name a few....

April 14, 2016 12:30 pm  #14

Yes and No Ig.  Yes you HAVE to offer comfort zone listening to your core and potential audiences.  NO you can't get by on X 100 songs forever.  You burn out the most key components of your library and the audience will ultimately up and leave before you realize that you shouldn't have gone that route after all.

How do you program around that and extend the life of your key songs?  I'm not giving that away for free.  But in order to pull it off you better be a far more talented programmer than this Logan guy.  That kind of lazy programming is short term gain for long term pain.  The people that want that are already listening to their own playlists and radio won't get 'em anyway.

The thing is...what I'm proposing won't work for every radio station.  Why?  They won't hire the right person/people to actually make it work.  Logan and his ilk are the millstones who are slowly rendering radio obsolete.

April 14, 2016 1:04 pm  #15

Old Codger wrote:

The Hawks with and w/o Rompin' Ronnie for goodness sake

A popular DJ in Belleville regularly inserts everything from early Hawkins albums into his playlist to meet the CanCon requirement and it works well.     But his audience is not the normal Q-107 listener (whatever their normal is)

April 14, 2016 6:36 pm  #16

Don't know.  Whatever it is it isn't a big enough number to be resting on past laurels. It's a cume that has to grow.  Q listeners WERE CHUM FM listeners at one time.  'Cause CHUM FM stopped playing ANYTHING that I would EVER want to hear on a daily or even ongoing basis.

But I'm not a girl.

April 14, 2016 8:00 pm  #17

ig wrote:

Old Codger wrote:

This was always the XM versus Sirius argument.  Respectively Beta and VHS.

XM hired musicologists who loved their formats, dug deep and rebelled at the first signs of radio station management style tricks.  Lee Abrams had a lot to do with that.  He wanted people programing the music channels who loved and lived that specific channel.  Every few hours there was supposed to be a 'holy shit' moment for the listeners where something they had long forgotten crept up.

I think you got the wrong man IG. I have heard  very few positive things about Abrams. He was to FM rock what the Drake format was to AM. Drastically narrowed playlists and central direction vs PD/MD/DJ, One of the first things that came up when I googled his name was this The last line about the concerted devolution of American Culture. How true cos it goes beyond radio,:

Long before he did his best to help sink the LA Times, Lee Abrams helped kill interesting radio. He brags about it in an audio interview with blogger Radiogirl.Responding to the charge that he helped destroy free-form radio across America, Abrams responded, “They had the chance to go mainstream. They didn’t.”Another juicy nugget:“If you want to reach a lot of people, there’s only a limited amount of songs they like. You can’t just go nuts and play everything.”Can’t embed, but listen here. An interesting study in the concerted devolution of American culture.

http://www.adweek.com/fishbowlny/lee-abrams-brags-about-killing-free-form-radio/125961

Last edited by Fitz (April 14, 2016 8:05 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

April 14, 2016 10:12 pm  #18

All I know is *I'VE* done the research...exhaustive research...and THAT point of view is a limited and time-limiting 'take' on possible reactions by a non committed potential audience.  Playing bits and pieces of songs ONLY works when you're sampling Dave Clark 5 fans.  What you play before and after impact on the REAL reaction too.  This half arsed testing approach radio has used for eons is crap.  Pure, unadulterated horse shit.

How do I know?

Is everyone in the radio biz tied for #1?
Is Q 107 still the MIGHTY Q?
Is 1050 CHUM still servin' up the oldies?

Too many losers and not enough success stories...even on sirius which specifically can wear out it's welcome in as little as 3 weeks.

Somebody's research sure sux.

I rest my case.
------------------------------------

Or not.  At no time did I ever say that any radio station should "play everything" by the way.  Not a chance.  That's why I have ALWAYS said you need to hire the RIGHT programmer.  One who uses his [or her] EARS...and virtually never their eyes.

Last edited by Old Codger (April 15, 2016 6:36 am)

April 14, 2016 10:38 pm  #19

well I did find this one post on a board called "Radio Discussion" about Lee Abrams to give contest to what Ig said:

Whether it is fair or not, many believe Lee Abrams killed off creative progressive rock radio.

I dunno, maybe I'm just one of those silly fans of radio that does not know enough about the real inner workings of radio, you know, one of those misguided fans that enjoyed a creative music programming approach (shame on us), and BTW thank God that big corporate radio consultants taught us a much better way to enjoy radio, if not make big bucks. Huh? ::Sarcasm :::

Anyway, I can forgive Abrams because he did penance at XM for the error of his ways. Now he is leaving and the no one knows the future of XM- Sirius- merger and all of that jazz, but I do no know that Abrams tried to right many wrongs he was a part of at one time in radio history and now I am just not sure where satellite radio might be headed down the road without Abrahms guidance.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

April 15, 2016 8:56 am  #20

Fitz wrote:

I think you got the wrong man IG. I have heard  very few positive things about Abrams. He was to FM rock what the Drake format was to AM. Drastically narrowed playlists and central direction vs PD/MD/DJ

To be blunt as I used to read his directives  I found it hard to believe these were coming from the same person.  I honestly got the impression, and I certainly wouldn't pretend to speak for him, that this was seen as his chance to un-fuck up (fuck down?) what was done to FM radio.  The memos, guides, orders, formats etc. all seemed to directly contradict what had happened to FM.  

From one of his initial meetings..  "FM gave up on music -- or just tested it to death."  (ummm....!!!)

In a machiavellian world, imagine someone getting to completely screw up a medium, so that a new medium would be a viable alternative.  I don't believe that was the case, but it was a textbook execution of it.  Listen to the FM stations that were slowly smothered to death, then turn on early XM and you'll hear these FM Stations once again, pre consultant.  

I completely get that it sounds insane, and if I hadn't lived it, I wouldn't believe it either .   

The secret to being a good radio consultant, much like a good talk radio host, is pick a position and stick to it.  Keep repeating your concepts like they were handed down on the 3 tablets from god on Mount Sinai.  If your concepts don't work, it's not that they were wrong, they just weren't executed properly.   Then, as things change, quietly 're-shape' your 'absolute, unwavering, carved in stone' concepts to adapt.

I believe Lee was correct with his vision for FM radio, BTW.   I've seen so many consultants come in with good ideas, executed by management that didn't understand the concepts but could only read the directives.  This is a recipe for disaster and the consultant is blamed for the flawed execution of their vision.  There are legitimately two sides to every story, especially this one.

Increasingly, as Abrams met with radio stations that he hoped to cultivate as clients, he was getting beaten up by suit-wearing researchers who'd adopted Abrams's research methods, applied higher-order mathematics and statistical analyses and dazzled with their presentations. He was telling station owners and general managers how to combine emotion and science; the researchers were telling the GMs: If you play X song, you will get Y rating and earn Z dollars.  "I think people became a bit addicted to research because it's convincing," Abrams says. "It puts everything in black-and-white with no question marks."

As Lee says, his signature album oriented rock format "shot itself in the foot with over-research, It forgot the roots, the foundation, the natural audience's needs, missing the whole point."

The early FM days were much like the early days of the internet.  A bunch of guys with a bunch of motherboards, power supplies and modems, wired together and sitting on desks, tapping away in a *nix shell, giving out free internet accounts and smoking too much.  The model was slowly choking itself to death, but it sure was amazing to be a part of.  And we hated the conglamerates who came in and tried to make ISP into a viable business.  But it had to be done in order to pay the salaries of the people who didn't want it to be done .

I'd never deny that Lee is a genius, but like any genius' I know (and I know a bunch) they aren't confined to one idea or one concept.  I think that his visions and ideas for FM were as honest and absolute as his visions for XM, even though they may have appeared to be at polar opposites.  If you actually study his concepts, you understand what he was aiming for, how it was bastardized by binary thinkers, (The Hayes and Logans of the world) and how XM was a chance to 'fix' it.   FM offered a platform to 'experiment' with concepts and ideas, and the ones that worked were carried forward to XM, and the ones that failed weren't.  I believe it was as black and white as that.  Flemming killed quite a few patients on the path to penicillin.   

April 15, 2016 1:37 pm  #21

Reading that Ig confirms what I've thought and said for over 30 years now...but first let me say THIS...

There MUST be an exception to the rule for there to be a rule and yes there are exceptions.

I have thought for the longest time that consultants are merely bullshit salesmen with a MOUTHFUL of samples.  Those that could do radio...did radio.  Those that couldn't either became PD's or if they REALLY couldn't...they recostumed themselves as consultants.  Then these arse-wholes packaged up their 'presentation', jotted down their BS and handed it 'in' for money.  Meanwhile those who couldn't, [who had become PD's and in some cases, who had played the politics thing to the hilt and became GM's], believed this consultant gobbledeegook because they didn't know shit from shinola to begin with either.

So then for these past 35-40 years as radio has slowly cork-screwed itself into oblivion by playing a WHOLE LOT of shyte and by firing talent in order to hire expediently cheap replacements...the audience, the advertisers and the industry has suffered.  Oh to be a shareholder.

THIS is why radio isn't turning the profits it once did.  It's being run by fools who take their advice almost exclusively from nincompoops.  I'll betcha dollars to donuts that some radio stations win in the ratings in spite of themselves and others ONLY because the 'competition' simply does 'it' worse.

Way to go Bell, Rogers, Corus and all you smaller copycats who do radio with their eyes.  Your nonsense is exceedingly responsible for the slow death of an entire industry.

And your stations?  They sound like crap.  NEWS...MUSIC...'TALENT'.  3 strikes and you're out.

April 15, 2016 2:13 pm  #22

Old Codger wrote:

THIS is why radio isn't turning the profits it once did.  It's being run by fools who take their advice almost exclusively from nincompoops.  I'll betcha dollars to donuts that some radio stations win in the ratings in spite of themselves and others ONLY because the 'competition' simply does 'it' worse.

I agree with that.   The problem with consultants started when they became whipping boys for the poor execution of a format.  If something doesn't work, I can cover my ass and protect the Lexus payments by blaming bad advice on the consultants.

It wasn't always that way, and as you said, there are some exceptional exceptions to the rule .  

But to use the Abrams example, what he was trying to push was a format based on psychography to music,  asking and looking for answers as to 'why' something fit a format, based on research, logic, instinct and heart.  But his concept was taken and pulled apart by the binary thinkers as I labelled them, and completely crushed.  It's like looking at a Van Gough painting and assuming because you can recognize the colors, you can recreate the art.  It's not that simple.  Unfortunately many didn't discover this till they had set up art galleries and tried to pawn of cheap counterfeit shite as legitimate art.   Same story with radio.

April 15, 2016 3:34 pm  #23

ig wrote:

But his concept was taken and pulled apart by the binary thinkers as I labelled them, and completely crushed.  It's like looking at a Van Gough painting and assuming because you can recognize the colors, you can recreate the art.  It's not that simple.  Unfortunately many didn't discover this till they had set up art galleries and tried to pawn of cheap counterfeit shite as legitimate art.   Same story with radio.

Exactly, Iain. Just as when the MBAs and CPAs got control of the North American auto manufacturers, and figured out they could save $2 per vehicle by eliminating one of the harmonizing dual horns, etc., etc., etc. it was all downhill until bankruptcy and bailout. The real car guys; the artisans and the dreamers; were long gone, replaced by number crunchers who "thought" they knew how to run a car company. They knew from nuthin'.

The U.S. banks also played a form of this suicide and, once again, along came taxpayer bailout. Man, these MBAs and CPAs sure are geniuses, ain't they?

April 15, 2016 6:39 pm  #24

Dial Twister wrote:

Man, these MBAs and CPAs sure are geniuses, ain't they? 

They aren't stupid.  They were given terrible advice as part of a power struggle, and followed it.  It was never their responsibility to know everything about the business, they needed to rely on the people within it for that, and unfortunately greed and politics won out.  

I believe they are slowly now at least starting to understand what went wrong.

As I've said before, too many times..  There used to be a healthy albeit mercurial relationship between programing and sales.  The PD and the Sales Managers, much like Ralph Wolf and Sam Sheepdog, knew they had roles to play, and pushed against each other hard.   Sales yelled you couldn't have good programing without their money, and programing yelled that sales couldn't sell anything without their product, and life was good.

Unfortunately as more and more shareholders became involved, the scales began to tip in favour of the money generators, without considering the process involved.  Sales Managers were promoted up the ranks and moved into positions of control over decision making.  16 minute commercial clocks, automation, anything and everything that could generate a better bottom line.  Play the hits and people will show up right?  There's no need for all that other 'fill'.  

And so, no longer was there a level playing field and healthy discussion.  It became the sales way or the highway, and many great programmers shrugged their shoulders and took the highway.

Unfortunately we've now come full circle, where the money people are slowly coming to realize that the old guard were correct.  You can't have programing without sales, but you can't have sales without programing either.  The problem is there's been very little peer development over the past 25 years or so while this was all playing out.  So even if you know you need a good programer, where do you find them?

There are some awesome programmers out there, but not enough to go around.  So as was discussed earlier, people are promoted above their level of competence in order to 'keep the lights on' and the environment, not to mention bottom line, gets nasty.

It will all settle itself out again.  It will just take time, and lots of learnin' .

April 15, 2016 7:16 pm  #25

ig wrote:

They aren't stupid.  They were given terrible advice as part of a power struggle, and followed it.

I don't entirely disagree. However, let's go back to my automobile manufacturing example for a moment and after considering the following, we should ask ourselves how often something similar has happened in the radio/TV world in the past 25 years.

In the period 2000 - 2009 the CEO of General Motors was Rick Wagoner. Did Mr. Wagoner come up through the ranks as a real car guy, either in love with and experienced at automotive design, parts manufacturing or car assembly? No, he most certainly did not. He was a numbers-cruncher through and through. He didn't follow someone's terrible advice. He crafted it. He lived it his entire career. He was the terrible advisor.

Somehow, although he knew little more about cars than where to find his Cadillac in the corporate parking lot, he rose all the way to the top never having designed a car, managed a car assembly plant, or sold a car at a dealership.

What he did have was a MBA from Harvard so he worked his way up through GM 'Financial' to the pinnacle of what used to be the largest company in the world. This non-car guy became president and chief executive officer in June 2000 and was elected chairman on May 1, 2003. Under his leadership, GM suffered more than $85 billion in losses - but like I said, he knew from nothing about cars or how to build or sell them. We all know what happened next.

However, no fundraisers are necessary for Mr. Wagoner. He may not have known diddly about running a car company, but he sure knew how to manage his personal retirement package. After 32 years at GM, Wagoner retired with an exit package of over $10 million: $1.65 million in benefits per year for his first five years of retirement, $74,030 per year pension for the rest of his life, and a $2.6 million life insurance policy that can be cashed out at any time.

Okay, but what about Wagoner's predecessor, some of you may ask. Surely he was a car guy? John F. Smith, Jr., GM CEO before Wagoner, joined General Motors as a payroll auditor in 1961 and rose through the ranks. How many payroll auditors do you think ever designed a car or managed an assembly plant. See what I mean?

Now, apply this long-winded rant to what's happening in radio/TV.

April 16, 2016 1:15 am  #26

i go to sirius/xm's "outlaw country" if i want to go off the conventional path (and yes, they play the ocasional can-con, ok, so it's neil young but they dig deep... this plus the ocasional hank snow tune). i wonder if little steven really has his hands in the programming? the latest from pokey lafarge to the stone's "far away eyes" is a broad spectrum indeed.

Last edited by the original hank (April 16, 2016 1:24 am)