sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

April 7, 2016 8:12 pm  #1

Does Fonzie listen to Q107?

At 2:51pm ET on Thursday April 7, Q107 played Duran Duran’s Hungry Like the Wolf….is this akin to riding a motorcycle and using it to jump over a large, carnivorous sea creature frolicking in a pool?…is it succumbing to pressure from Boom 97.3?….or is Duran Duran actually a ‘rock band' and qualifies to be included under the iconic ‘Toronto’s Rock – Q107' banner?...Disclosure – I like Duran Duran.

April 7, 2016 8:20 pm  #2

Re: Does Fonzie listen to Q107?

They played Platinum Blonde and Indio today and I have heard Tears for Fears on Q recently. I wish there was a real rock station in Toronto. 

April 7, 2016 9:09 pm  #3

Yes, an actual rock station in Toronto would be nice. For now, you're stuck with Hamilton, St.Catharines and Oshawa.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

April 7, 2016 9:28 pm  #4

You'll be waiting a while. Still works in, well...Edmonton and Winnipeg, but if you've been there, you'd know why. "Real" rock is quickly becoming niche.

April 8, 2016 6:42 pm  #5

In a way it's reminiscent of the 80's when Duran Duran, Flock of Seagulls, Tears For Fears and the like were staples on Q's list. The difference then was they were also mixing in the hard rock acts too. At first when they made the switch to "Toronto's Rock " there was only a smattering of these types of tunes. Now they're adding in a lot more of the Gary Numan "Cars" and Spoons "Nova Heart" ilk which I don't think most people today consider rock. Oh well, if the research and the numbers are pointing this out as the way to success that's the way it's going to go. As mentioned before, seems the lovers of real rock live in the outskirts of the GTA. 

April 8, 2016 8:09 pm  #6

Classic Rock 107.9 Northumberland

http://player.listenlive.co/37721/en/songhistory

Just far enough east of The Big Smoke to make you feel like you want to crank it. LOL

April 8, 2016 8:18 pm  #7

And imaging courtesy of O'Neill.

April 8, 2016 9:33 pm  #8

grilled.cheese wrote:

All the best radio comes out of Northumberland.

Further proof of that here: www.northumberland897.ca

April 8, 2016 10:12 pm  #9

Dial Twister wrote:

Just far enough east of The Big Smoke to make you feel like you want to crank it. LOL

Just looked at their current;playlist and sorry but no surprises, Same old same old corporate rock staples that have been done to death on classic rock. You can probably hear every song played on Q107 but perhaps spaced out to make room for the Duran Durans.I was never a fan of that 80's techno rock or techno pop sound but I think it's good that Q has added acts like the Verve and Jesus Jones. Wish they would go a little further and add acts like XTC and World Party.They were alternative rock and I'd rather hear them than say Bon Jovi, Journey or Foreigner. In a word homogeneous corporate rock.

The problem with our radio dial is that it'as all very predictable - there's no deep album tracks, no quirky FM hits no cool trash like the Runaways or Cramps or Standells, no decent power pop or country rock or folk rock or rockabilly or doo wop or R&B etc. Rock is more than heavy metal and hard rock. I see some radio stations that use the term "world class rock" but the only time it rings true these days is when it's used by a station with a deep triple A playlist and such a station is non existent in Toronto. 

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

April 9, 2016 12:58 pm  #10

These days, Fonzie, (well, Henry Winkler) at the ripe old age of 70, is hawking reverse mortgages.

Last edited by Peter the K (April 9, 2016 12:59 pm)

April 9, 2016 1:12 pm  #11

Fitz wrote:

Dial Twister wrote:

The problem with our radio dial is that it'as all very predictable - there's no deep album tracks, no quirky FM hits no cool trash like the Runaways or Cramps or Standells, no decent power pop or country rock or folk rock or rockabilly or doo wop or R&B etc. Rock is more than heavy metal and hard rock. I see some radio stations that use the term "world class rock" but the only time it rings true these days is when it's used by a station with a deep triple A playlist and such a station is non existent in Toronto. 

Again, a community station such as Northumberland 89.7 has several show hosts who feature deep cuts and often songs and artists who rarely if ever get played on commercial radio. These people are enthusiastic about what they do because it's their passion which is why they're doing it even without financial compensation.

April 9, 2016 3:23 pm  #12

Fitz wrote:

but the only time it rings true these days is when it's used by a station with a deep triple A playlist and such a station is non existent in Toronto. 

And such a station with any ratings is non existent anywhere. 

April 10, 2016 12:27 pm  #13

Don wrote:

Fitz wrote:

but the only time it rings true these days is when it's used by a station with a deep triple A playlist and such a station is non existent in Toronto. 

You are right and I would be silly to argue with that fact but I think there are a few examples of stations in the US that have hung in particularly in small and medium markets by offering a wider playlist despite less than stellar ratings because they have been able to find a loyal audience and still attract advertising based on that. A niche audience so to speak.

I believe that many people that could sustain such a format have been driven away from terrestrial radio as there is nothing for them to listen to. A big part of the problem is the media conglomeration and lack of independent owners. I wonder if a full time and more structured version of what John Donabie is doing on CUIT may work commercially if such a station was owned by an independent co where the management would not have a gun to their heads about ratings. Such a station would need time to be nurtured and build a a loyal audience over time and not just a few rating periods.

There's a station in the suburbs of Pittsburgh PA that has this weird oldies/classic rock hybrid format but with a very deep playlist for both sides of the equation. I think they play everything from the 50's to the 80's at least. I have heard things on there that I had literally forgotten about since I heard them on FM in the 1970's or 80's. Station has been around since 1984 with apparently the same format. I'm not a fan of everything they play
( particularly some of the old AM pop stuff or the hair metal) but there's enough diversity and surprises to make for a good listen.

Last edited by Fitz (April 10, 2016 12:30 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:

April 10, 2016 1:37 pm  #14

Fitz wrote:

Don wrote:

Fitz wrote:

You are right and I would be silly to argue with that fact but I think there are a few examples of stations in the US that have hung in particularly in small and medium markets by offering a wider playlist despite less than stellar ratings because they have been able to find a loyal audience and still attract advertising based on that. A niche audience so to speak.

I believe that many people that could sustain such a format have been driven away from terrestrial radio as there is nothing for them to listen to. A big part of the problem is the media conglomeration and lack of independent owners. I wonder if a full time and more structured version of what John Donabie is doing on CUIT may work commercially if such a station was owned by an independent co where the management would not have a gun to their heads about ratings. Such a station would need time to be nurtured and build a a loyal audience over time and not just a few rating periods.

There's a station in the suburbs of Pittsburgh PA that has this weird oldies/classic rock hybrid format but with a very deep playlist for both sides of the equation. I think they play everything from the 50's to the 80's at least. I have heard things on there that I had literally forgotten about since I heard them on FM in the 1970's or 80's. Station has been around since 1984 with apparently the same format. I'm not a fan of everything they play
( particularly some of the old AM pop stuff or the hair metal) but there's enough diversity and surprises to make for a good listen.

What's the name of that station? I wouldn't mind checking it out.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

April 10, 2016 2:58 pm  #15

The station is WJPA ( Washington County, Pennsylvania) but on Sunday's they are most;y 50's and maybe some early 60's on their Crusin' Sundays. They also have an 80's show. Album rock fans may be turned off if they listen on a Sunday but give the station a shot on weekdays or week nights and you will hear what I mean about the variety. There's variation between what each DJ plays and I personally enjoy the selections I hear on weeknights 8 to 12.

Here's the stream
http://radio.securenetsystems.net/v5/WJPAFM

Cool Airchecks and More:

April 10, 2016 4:53 pm  #16

Fitz wrote:

. . . they are mostly 50's and maybe some early 60's on their Crusin' Sundays

Zoomers in Pennsylvania?     Who knew?

April 11, 2016 9:31 am  #17

Heard Higher Love by Steve Winwood on Q the other day. Fonzie seems more like an easy listening kind of guy these days.

April 11, 2016 6:11 pm  #18

The lighter fare must be their way of trying to take a piece of BOOM's listenership. Even their positioner says "Big hits and real classics"...no rock orientation in that statement.
Fact is, because of the smaller number of stations in Canada relative to the U.S., there just isn't room for the sort of niche formatting available in their cities. Here in order to get the biggest piece of the advertising pie you have to cast a wider net in drawing an audience. That means playing mostly the tried and true.
That said, as mentioned earlier, real rocker stations are available outside the immediate GTA. 97.7, Y108 and 94.9 The Rock come to mind.

April 11, 2016 6:47 pm  #19

Fitz wrote:

Don wrote:

Fitz wrote:

I believe that many people that could sustain such a format have been driven away from terrestrial radio as there is nothing for them to listen to. 

I think a smaller owner in a smaller market could do it, maybe. Bigger markets are so agency driven, and they just look at numbers. Loyalty and quality mean nothing, You'd be starting from scratch with local advertisers who've never used the medium. The Freddy Vette thing is an example of sorts; the ratings in his show are usually lower than the station as a whole, and the station doesn't hit agency-friendly demos in the first place, but they are making good money with a station that would be an ESPN feed under anyone else's watch.

And while technology may be the refuge of those who want something more than the mainstream, it's also why the mainstream itself has narrowed. Sure "deeper playlist" sounds simple, but it's a soon as you go to the follow up of "what's in it" that things get messy. A thousand people will give you a thousand different answers, and new tech means they don't have to sit through each others' definitions of "deep." - they're three swipes and poke away from exactly what they want. There no way for a BROADcaster to counter that, musically.

When a large audience isn't captive, you lose your ability do curate and dictate.

April 11, 2016 7:04 pm  #20

Don wrote:

The Freddy Vette thing is an example of sorts; the ratings in his show are usually lower than the station as a whole

Is 2:00 to 7:00 prime time in a smaller market?        

April 11, 2016 10:10 pm  #21

Yes.

April 12, 2016 3:51 am  #22

Don wrote:

Yes.

Courtice is located on the east side of Oshawa.    The community is a hot-bed of activity for the vintage and custom car restoration hobby (retired & semi-retired individuals who comprise the target demographics of Q-107's psychedelic Sunday and of 1580 CKDO's playlist).      Walk into any of these well-appointed automotive shops on a weekday afternoon and you are likely to hear the Freddy Vette program, even though the AM 800 signal isn't perfect.     So how was it determined that Freddy Vette's listenership is lower than CJBQ's morning drive or mid day listenership?        

April 12, 2016 11:41 am  #23

grilled.cheese wrote:

old people don't need radio. They need to be isolated and studied so it can be determined what nutrients they have that might be extracted for our personal use.

Ziggy?

April 12, 2016 12:20 pm  #24

Now let's not be too hard on the young whippersnapper. After all, today IS his day.

April 12 Is National Grilled Cheese Day

April 12, 2016 9:51 pm  #25

WilliamT wrote:

Heard Higher Love by Steve Winwood on Q the other day. Fonzie seems more like an easy listening kind of guy these days.

Well actually Steve Winwood is a heritage album rock artist as much as say Tom Petty and he's got at least a decade up on Petty, going back to the Spencer Davis Group, Traffic and Blind Faith. Higher Love I think would sound fine on a number of formats as would Winwood's "While You See A Chance."

Last edited by Fitz (April 12, 2016 9:53 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More: