sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 30, 2020 9:30 am  #1

New Conservative-Leaning News Network Now On The Air In Canada

It's a new service called "The News Forum" and it's just launched for those on Bell satellite and Fibe. It purports to be a small "c" conservative network, with the usual headlines and a host of talk shows on various subjects. Among the familiar faces doing shows: former Conservative MP Tony Clement and Tanya Granic Allen, a right wing candidate who ran in the last P.C. race for Premier in Ontario.

Here's how their "About Us" page describes the channel:

The News Forum is a Canadian broadcast station with a mandate to provide viewers with politically balanced domestic and international perspectives, inclusive of a conservative counterbalance for the current media landscape.

We exist to provide a platform:

• Where ideas are explored and approaches to challenges facing our nation are discussed
  • Where all voices are heard, and where people can respectfully engage to resolve issues and create a more civil society
  • With a commitment to encouraging a national platform, with freedom of conscience and expression for all

The News Forum values the inclusion of multiple voices and viewpoints. We believe that information must be presented with integrity, and in a manner which is helpful to Canadians when forming their own opinions. 

Will it work this time? If it only stays on Bell, my guess is it will severely limit the audience available, although I'm sure they're looking for deals with other providers. Whether anyone will tune in is another matter.

The News Forum Homepage

The News Forum Launches Nationally on Bell Platforms in Canada

September 30, 2020 10:22 am  #2

Re: New Conservative-Leaning News Network Now On The Air In Canada

I saw this channel last week and had no idea where they were even from. They were doing international news when I watched and I thought they might have been from Europe somewhere.

Bell is always doing this, putting channels on free preview. On channels like CNN  where they have endless promos, Bell should have a promo for stations that are on free preview this month or something.
I think you can check on line, but running a promo on TV would be a lot more effective, and more people would tune in during the preview.

Unrelated but very interesting (as Artie Johnson used to say).  I have seen a commercial/promo on CNN for the program Let's Be Real. The program looks to be sort of a US version of the British satire show Spitting Image which used puppets and was very political.  The promo has been CNN on all week for this Thursday's show.  What network is Let's Be Real on?  FOX.  Odd that FOX bought airtime to promote one of their network shows on CNN.

September 30, 2020 10:31 am  #3

They appear to be planning a live stream of the channel on their website, but when I went to that page, it doesn't work. Perhaps it's still to come. 

The News Forum Live Stream

September 30, 2020 1:21 pm  #4

Tony Clement? Hope he's gotten his um social media addiction under control. 

September 30, 2020 1:42 pm  #5

grilled.cheese wrote:

I miss Sun News.

Yeah, me too.

September 30, 2020 2:33 pm  #6

Dial Twister wrote:

grilled.cheese wrote:

I miss Sun News.

Yeah, me too.

Sun News TV was a joke and a rag.
This new source might prove to be a lot better. 
(for those who lean centre right/right wing)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 30, 2020 5:12 pm  #7

Agreed, Sun TV was terrible.

Watching a bit of this new station, they do have a nice set and reasonably well done promos.   Tony Clement is interviewing former PM Brian Mulroney on a business themed program called Boom and Bust.

They are talking about trade and productivity, and trade barriers between provinces.  Mulroney also talking about Canada needing more immigrants to ensure future prosperity.  He said an ideal population for the country would be at least 75 million.   

The first commercial break on Boom and Bust had  ads by CIBC, Safety Masks, Western Union, and most interesting a COVID Financial Support ad from the Government of Canada.  Already a better group of advertisers than what Sun TV ever had.  However the next commercial break had the same spots but different promos. 

Who actually owns this channel?  The press released talked about partners but I didn't see who owns the channel. On their website you can be a patron which is something different.  

The News Forum seems at least at first glance to be a much more serious and moderate voice than than what Sun TV was.

I guess good on Bell for being first to carry The News Forum.  These people have a long, long road ahead of them to be a success.

September 30, 2020 5:15 pm  #8

paterson1 wrote:

Agreed, Sun TV was terrible.

Watching a bit of this new station, they do have a nice set and reasonably well done promos.   Tony Clement is interviewing former PM Brian Mulroney on a business themed program called Boom and Bust.

They are talking about trade and productivity, and trade barriers between provinces.  Mulroney also talking about Canada needing more immigrants to ensure future prosperity.  He said an ideal population for the country would be at least 75 million.   

The first commercial break on Boom and Bust featured ads by CIBC, Safety Masks, Western Union, and most interesting a COVID Financial Support ad from the Government of Canada.  Already a better group of advertisers than what Sun TV ever had.  However the next commercial break had the same spots but different promos. 

Who actually owns this channel?  The press released talked about partners but I didn't see who the owner was. On their website you can be a patron if so desired which is something different.  

The News Forum seems at least at first glance to be a much more serious and moderate voice than than what Sun TV was.

I guess good on Bell for being first to carry The News Forum.  These people have a long, long road ahead of them to be a success.

Sorry, looks like I quoted my own post...   Je suis stupid...

Last edited by paterson1 (September 30, 2020 5:19 pm)

September 30, 2020 5:20 pm  #9

I think Tony Clement is the founder of the channel. From his current Twitter bio:
The Hon. Tony Clement@TonyclementCPC
Startup Entrepreneur; International Advisor; Conservative; Media Empire: @thenewsforum_, @huntersbayradio, @AAThingPodcast;

I actually saw some production roles job postings a few months back, for here in St. Catharines, where I'm currently living. I couldn't find out who they were when I googled News Forum St. Catharines, so I didn't look into it any further.

September 30, 2020 5:50 pm  #10

Brad wrote:

I think Tony Clement is the founder of the channel. From his current Twitter bio:
The Hon. Tony Clement@TonyclementCPC
Startup Entrepreneur; International Advisor; Conservative; Media Empire: @thenewsforum_, @huntersbayradio, @AAThingPodcast;

I actually saw some production roles job postings a few months back, for here in St. Catharines, where I'm currently living. I couldn't find out who they were when I googled News Forum St. Catharines, so I didn't look into it any further.

Interesting, well the show I watched earlier was actually called Boom and Bust with Tony Clement.  Tony has quite the "mutton chops" now as well.   Are long bell bottom sideburns making a come back? 

October 4, 2020 10:35 pm  #11

grilled.cheese wrote:

I miss Sun News.

Why? Because of the unintentional comedy it gave you? Because it showed how Quebecor could lose money hand over fist?