sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 30, 2020 11:45 am  #1

Is AM Equipment Obsolete? Stn. Insists That's Why They Should Be On FM

Here’s a story you’d normally never read here but I’m curious if those in the know can confirm it. Is it true or are they just looking for a convenient reason to transfer an AM station over to FM?

It involves CKDY, a radio station in a small town called Digby, Nova Scotia (population about 2,000 people.) They’ve applied to the CRTC to switch from their current AM position to the better sounding band, after vandals destroyed part of their transmission site last March.

Fair enough. They also noted they were the only station serving their area and had rigged up a temporary FM signal with the Commission’s permission.

But then they told the CRTC this as a reason for them to expedite the request to make the new frequency permanent.

“It also indicated that since new components for AM transmission are increasingly becoming obsolete and would take a considerable amount of time and expense to replace, a temporary FM transmitter would be the quickest interim solution, while full conversion to the FM band would represent the most cost-effective long-term solution.”

So the question: is it true that AM equipment is “increasingly becoming obsolete” and expensive? I’ve never heard of this before. If so, how hard will it be to replace needed components if something ever happens to a GTA AM outlet’s equipment or anywhere else in the country?

This sounds like especially self-serving logic to me. 'Well, since we’re at it anyway and it would be too expensive to repair it, let’s just stay on FM.'

I don’t think I buy it. But I strongly suspect, given it’s in such a small area and is the only signal there, the CRTC will probably let it happen. It also makes sense, since they're already on FM. But it does seem like a sleazy way to get what they want. 

CKDY FM Request

September 30, 2020 12:14 pm  #2

Re: Is AM Equipment Obsolete? Stn. Insists That's Why They Should Be On FM

It's a known fact that AM is much more expensive to update, install, and maintain than FM.   AM is also the hardest hit by digital platforms.    Unless you are able to do talk... Music on AM is typically limited to old demographics with little to no growth.       AM until the band goes 100% digital (which may never) is nearing the end of it's useful life.

I think personally once radios are ready, and HD is available on every radio out there, all AM stations need to move to digital to save the band and stations on it like tv did.    But we are not there. 

Last edited by radiokid (September 30, 2020 12:15 pm)

September 30, 2020 12:41 pm  #3

Let's ask the people over at 1220 and AM 960!  
I'm not kidding! If all is true, why all the trouble to be up and running?  (as brand new AM stations, as of recent years...)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 30, 2020 1:39 pm  #4

HD on AM sounds terrible in my opinion. Too many digital artifacts, not to mention some have said it reduces the coverage area. AM stereo would be a better option, but that hasn’t flown in North America and probably never will.

According to this it was copper wiring and computer equipment. I don’t think either are becoming harder to find. This application is just a back door way to convert to FM.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/woman-charged-following-copper-theft-from-digby-radio-site-1.4831950

Last edited by Radio111 (September 30, 2020 1:39 pm)

September 30, 2020 2:32 pm  #5

By sheer coincidence, this article came out on Wednesday. Not sure I understand every reference in it, but it's obvious many feel Digital AM is the future. If they can just get there.

NAB, DRM Spar Over AM Digital for U.S.  

September 30, 2020 3:04 pm  #6

Radiowiz wrote:

Let's ask the people over at 1220 and AM 960!  
I'm not kidding! If all is true, why all the trouble to be up and running?  (as brand new AM stations, as of recent years...)

AM960 is a talk station.... ratings wise it's not a huge winner.. unlike the people here who lose their mind about that station, think it is.    

As for 1220... they haven't even launched..    Financially it could be a hard sell doing music on AM, and being analog only.   The demographics will be 55+, which in 5 years will be 60+ and so on.   It will not be the way it is long as clients do not want 65+ on mass.   

Most audience is not new... it's people who moved from someone else for whatever reason.   

I'm big on looking at 5, 10, 15 and 20 years out.    You have to look to the future and how to get there.   I don't see the AM band, outside going 100% digital being a long term business plan. 

Last edited by radiokid (September 30, 2020 3:07 pm)

September 30, 2020 3:12 pm  #7

Radio111 wrote:

HD on AM sounds terrible in my opinion. Too many digital artifacts, not to mention some have said it reduces the coverage area. AM stereo would be a better option, but that hasn’t flown in North America and probably never will.

According to this it was copper wiring and computer equipment. I don’t think either are becoming harder to find. This application is just a back door way to convert to FM.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/woman-charged-following-copper-theft-from-digby-radio-site-1.4831950

I have heard 100% digital AM while traveling and it sounds great... Hybrid HD on AM does not leave enough bandwidth which is why you are hearing the digital sound.    100% digital makes the full bandwidth available and they have been even testing 2 digital signals on one am transmitter with it.   They also have seen less issues with static interference dropping the HD signal when in full digital mode.    Am stereo is dead.  

September 30, 2020 6:21 pm  #8

I think CFCO Chatham is the only station in Ontario with AM stereo. Not many US stations it either. Sad, because it sounds amazing if you have the equipment.

September 30, 2020 9:44 pm  #9

There's some legitimacy to the general argument CKDY is making. There aren't many companies making AM transmitters anymore, especially at higher power levels. Harris/GatesAir, which was one of the biggest players in the field, phased out its existing AM lines a couple of years ago and hasn't replaced them with promised new models. That's a big problem at power levels above 5 kW, where the choices were already down to just GatesAir's aging DX10 and 3DX50 models, or Nautel's newer designs. Now it's literally a single-source product: if you want a 10, 25 or 50 kW transmitter, it's Nautel or nothing. At lower power levels, there are some options from Broadcast Electronics and Armstrong, but they're also old designs and/or rebadged imports. Many of the other companies that were once in the field, such as Continental, no longer offer AM transmitters at all. 

The number of companies that still do the very specialized work of designing and manufacturing AM-specific components such as phasors and antenna tuning units is also shrinking, and too many of them are one-man bands run by engineers in their 60s, 70s or older. Once they go, there aren't very many people out there with that specialized expertise. 

I am a relatively young engineer, at least by US broadcast engineering standards (and I'm pushing 50), and while I can find my way around an FM installation fairly competently, I don't even begin to pretend to know high-power or directional AM well enough to do those jobs solo. We're insanely lucky here in Rochester to have at least three guys in town younger than me who do have those AM skills, so our AMs here aren't in any immediate danger. But I know a lot of other markets where that's no longer the case, and that's very worrisome. 

September 30, 2020 9:54 pm  #10

That's really interesting. Thank you for that very cogent answer.

So fast forward 15-20 years and let's say AM has managed to survive as it currently is. If something breaks, are they simply SOL? Or do we bring out the chewing gum and duct tape? This is, as you note, a potentially serious issue looming. Is anyone planning to do anything about it before it's too late?  And is this why the FCC is currently experimenting with AM HD? 

I can only imagine what the radio world will look like in the next decade or two. 

If we all survive COVID, that is!

September 30, 2020 10:47 pm  #11

Very Interesting info. fybush. My first thought was what is the condition of the transmitters of the WLS/WBZ/WJR/KDKA's of the world. I am sure their engineering departments keep their 50k blowtorches in tiptop condition. What do they do if/when a transmitter needs upgrading or totally replaced?

October 4, 2020 8:45 pm  #12

More apparent bad news for AM and its prospects of digging itself out of an increasingly deep hole. 

AM Advocates Watch and Worry