sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 27, 2020 10:36 am  #1

Should Ontario Have a Public Radio System?

Has the time come for Ontario to have an NPR style or format of radio?  Looking at the Arbitron ratings in the US, university and public radio stations seem to be reasonably popular.

There is no real equivalent of CBC radio in the US and naturally this would need to be taken into account if Ontario were to have it's own public radio service available.  The programming and general content would need to be different than CBC and with focus possibly more on education and programming that currently isn't available.  

Should TVO to be involved and to what extent?  Should one or two stations be owned and operated ?   Or could some of Ontario's 24 university and college radio stations carry some of the programming?  Would CJRT be an affiliate, or involved somehow?   Should funding be a similar model as NPR, and could  funding come from foundations, motivated individuals, and listener support?   How much programming could this service pick up from equivalent broadcasters in the US, even the UK or Australia?

What do you think, would this work in Ontario? Do you think there is any demand for this and would it be viable?
How do we promote and make sure that Ontario's almost 15 million population is aware of this new service, which would be unlike anything available now?

Lots of questions, hope you have some thoughts on this....

Last edited by paterson1 (September 27, 2020 10:45 am)

September 27, 2020 10:54 am  #2

Re: Should Ontario Have a Public Radio System?

Assuming you're talking about an FM station, where in the world would it fit on the GTA dial? There isn't any more room for a high enough powered station in this market. And a low powered outlet wouldn't reach enough people. Even then, it would have to be province-wide to make it a true Ontario network. Would the tinier demos available in those cities make it viable there?

Then there's the issue of funding. Unless it's almost totally donor supported, I can't see any government willing to pony up the money for it, especially in the time of a pandemic. Interesting idea, but not practical as far I can see.  

September 27, 2020 11:01 am  #3

TVO started on September 27, 1970 (50 years ago today) as the Ontario Educational Communications Authority.

I don't know when their branding changed to TV Ontario, but in the ensuing 50 years, one could argue it's morphed into something quite different.  Probably by necessity.

Last edited by Peter the K (September 27, 2020 11:02 am)

September 27, 2020 11:08 am  #4

Peter the K wrote:

TVO started on September 27, 1970 (50 years ago today) as the Ontario Educational Communications Authority.

I don't know when their branding changed to TV Ontario, but in the ensuing 50 years, one could argue it's morphed into something quite different.  Probably by necessity.

What a coincidence!  I didn't know TVO/OECA was 50 today.  I remember watching educational programming in public and high school from OECA on 24 inch screen metal Electrohome black and white TV's that were about 6 feet high on wheels!

September 27, 2020 11:19 am  #5

Unlike some stations, which ignore their own history, TVO has chosen to highlight its anniversary with a great article about the sometimes troubled beginnings of CICA Toronto on Channel 19. I never realized it caused interference problems with WNED for some (I never experienced that.) And the problems of getting it carried on a still young cable TV dial was another surprise. 

‘A whole new world of television’: How TVO’s launch avoided disaster and won over critics 

[Edit: Just had a look at my TV Guides from 1970. I have only one from the time in question, from early October. Channel 19 wasn't listed there at the time, which either meant they were slow on the uptake, the station didn't have a firm schedule or they weren't able to send the listings out to the publication by then. Not sure exactly when it became available on a regular basis in the Guide, but it wasn't there at the launch.]   

Last edited by RadioActive (September 27, 2020 11:30 am)

September 27, 2020 11:30 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Assuming you're talking about an FM station, where in the world would it fit on the GTA dial? There isn't any more room for a high enough powered station in this market. And a low powered outlet wouldn't reach enough people. Even then, it would have to be province-wide to make it a true Ontario network. Would the tinier demos available in those cities make it viable there?

Then there's the issue of funding. Unless it's almost totally donor supported, I can't see any government willing to pony up the money for it, especially in the time of a pandemic. Interesting idea, but not practical as far I can see.  

Mostly FM but AM could be part of the mix.  Wasn't necessarily thinking about a lot of new stations or frequencies.  That's why I mentioned CJRT they could be an affiliate, and carry some of the programming and contribute programming, same with U of T, York University.  Nothing wrong with Toronto having three affiliates,  all still have their own programming and schedules.  

College and university stations  do have full coverage in cities like Hamilton, London. Kitchener, Windsor, Ottawa, Thunder Bay etc....This would be a co-op of affiliates that carry some of the programming. 

In smaller rural areas you may be able to have some community radio stations run programming and again like the others, contribute content as well. And all stations don't need to carry the same programming, maybe other than some province wide content.

Mostly this would be run with the infrastructure that is already in place, and funding like I mentioned primarily from foundations, individuals and possibly program drives.  With "network" programming it would be possible for corporate partnerships and foundations, again similar to NPR.

That's why I posed the question about TVO.  It would make sense to utilize some of their content or even talent.  Steve Paikin with a province wide talk show?  But like NPR,  little funding, ideally none from government.

September 27, 2020 11:49 am  #7

I would argue that CBC Radio One fills the role in a way.
There are morning shows for the different regions of the province, A province-wide midday show and regional drive home shows.  If there's important breaking news anywhere it's on the national news.  For example, the police closure of Wasaga Beach last night made Radio One's hourly news all evening.

September 27, 2020 6:18 pm  #8

CJRT was publicly funded from 1974 until 1995 when the Harris government defunded it. That's why it eventually switched to an all-jazz format - because its jazz shows were the most popular on the station and going all-jazz was a was a more sustainable model when it came to fundraising etc than the varied musical/quasi-educational format it had previously. 

September 27, 2020 6:21 pm  #9

paterson1 wrote:

Has the time come for Ontario to have an NPR style or format of radio?  Looking at the Arbitron ratings in the US, university and public radio stations seem to be reasonably popular.

There is no real equivalent of CBC radio in the US and naturally this would need to be taken into account if Ontario were to have it's own public radio service available.  The programming and general content would need to be different than CBC and with focus possibly more on education and programming that currently isn't available.  

Should TVO to be involved and to what extent?  Should one or two stations be owned and operated ?   Or could some of Ontario's 24 university and college radio stations carry some of the programming?  Would CJRT be an affiliate, or involved somehow?   Should funding be a similar model as NPR, and could  funding come from foundations, motivated individuals, and listener support?   How much programming could this service pick up from equivalent broadcasters in the US, even the UK or Australia?

What do you think, would this work in Ontario? Do you think there is any demand for this and would it be viable?
How do we promote and make sure that Ontario's almost 15 million population is aware of this new service, which would be unlike anything available now?

Lots of questions, hope you have some thoughts on this....

There's no demand from either universities or public or secondary schools for educational radio broadcasts. Open College on CJRT ended several years ago because Ryerson and York can deliver extension courses online and don't need radio (or television) broadcasts. Same with programes like Seneca Telecollege and I believe it was Guelph that used have a few courses carried on TVO and/or community channels. Same with audio content for schools. It would be great if TVO produced more podcasts but they don't need radio stations to air them when they can just put them on their website and on podcasting platforms and have them available on demand. 

Last edited by Hansa (September 27, 2020 6:44 pm)

September 27, 2020 7:30 pm  #10

Prod Guy wrote:

I would argue that CBC Radio One fills the role in a way.
There are morning shows for the different regions of the province, A province-wide midday show and regional drive home shows.  If there's important breaking news anywhere it's on the national news.  For example, the police closure of Wasaga Beach last night made Radio One's hourly news all evening.

This is what complicates the idea somewhat is CBC Radio.  Programming would generally need to have a somewhat different focus and sound than CBC.  However, the service definitely would be a competitor for the crown corporation.  

That's part of the reason to consider another alternative service, since CBC Radio does so well in terms of ratings and loyalty of  listeners.   I think an NPR model could be successful in a province like Ontario with a large diverse population. The service, while not commercially based, could  develop partnerships with non traditional advertisers for sponsorships of some programming.  

I wasn't thinking of a news network but more of a co-op of mostly existing stations (university/college/community) that could be affiliated, and even contribute to some of the programming.  News however, would be part of the mix and affiliated stations could provide some content of a story or event from their area.  All of the stations would still have their own schedules and do not need to carry all shows, other than some Ontario wide features, or call in shows.

The service might run some NPR programming that isn't available here,  music programming or features not heard generally on radio in Ontario today.  And it would help college/university and community stations and give them some quality content and alternative programming in addition to their regular formats.

But the question is, would there be room for two public radio services??

Last edited by paterson1 (September 27, 2020 7:35 pm)

September 27, 2020 9:25 pm  #11

paterson1 wrote:

I wasn't thinking of a news network but more of a co-op of mostly existing stations (university/college/community) that could be affiliated, and even contribute to some of the programming.  News however, would be part of the mix and affiliated stations could provide some content of a story or event from their area.  All of the stations would still have their own schedules and do not need to carry all shows, other than some Ontario wide features, or call in shows.  

I don't agree that there is a need, desire, business case, or even infrastructure to create an ontario-wide radio service.  however, your statement above is an interesting idea.  like if they all contributed to a province or country wide burli-type news system from which to draw reports, or shared music driven blocks between each other.  each station pays into a fund... maybe run by the CCRA or something.... and the programming expenses can be drawn from that.

Of course, there are some crtc regs that prevent too much syndicated or non-local programming, but ya, it's not a bad idea paterson1.  Wanna combine to form a consulting agency for this??

September 27, 2020 11:32 pm  #12

It occurs to me that there is a model for an NPR type station in Canada.I forgot about CKUA in Alberta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CKUA_Radio_Network
https://ckua.com/

September 28, 2020 10:01 am  #13

splunge wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

I don't agree that there is a need, desire, business case, or even infrastructure to create an ontario-wide radio service.  however, your statement above is an interesting idea.  like if they all contributed to a province or country wide burli-type news system from which to draw reports, or shared music driven blocks between each other.  each station pays into a fund... maybe run by the CCRA or something.... and the programming expenses can be drawn from that.

Of course, there are some crtc regs that prevent too much syndicated or non-local programming, but ya, it's not a bad idea paterson1.  Wanna combine to form a consulting agency for this??

This is why I posed the question to get a handle if it was feasible, desire, need etc.  I had forgotten about CKUA, Alberta's provincial radio network.  Thanks Prod Guy.

CCRA? Are you referring to the CRTC's Canadian Content Development Contributions? Sounds like we may be talking about a few different things here.   

September 28, 2020 10:24 am  #14

I believe the NCRA has some sort of program exchange for member stations to share programs and segments. (CIUT does not belong to NCRA so wouldn't have access). The thing is, one of the main reasons for campus/community stations is to give community members and local students the opportunity to produce shows and get on the air. The more syndicated programs you carry, the less opportunities there are, so they are often used to fill gaps or as segments on existing local shows and the CRTC also has requirements for local programming that work against syndication. Stations will carry syndicated shows like Democracy Now if they bring in listeners and donation income but they aren't really looking for the number of regular syndicated or network shows that you would be expected to carry as the member of a network. 

Last edited by Hansa (September 28, 2020 10:24 am)

September 28, 2020 10:30 am  #15

Personally I doubt they would consider this now..    With the internet, cost of running transmitters and above all else...  it would likely be stuck on the AM band, due to frequency availability on the FM band.   

It would be cheaper for anything like this to involve all the college/community radio stations and build an affiliate network, where locally they provide programming, and share others.     Sadly a CBC type network, is highly unlikely. NOR is there a demand for it from listeners. 

September 28, 2020 10:36 am  #16

paterson1 wrote:

splunge wrote:

paterson1 wrote:

This is why I posed the question to get a handle if it was feasible, desire, need etc.  I had forgotten about CKUA, Alberta's provincial radio network.  Thanks Prod Guy.

CCRA? Are you referring to the CRTC's Canadian Content Development Contributions? Sounds like we may be talking about a few different things here.   

As Hansa pointed out, I was actually referring to the NCRA, sry for the confusion.

September 28, 2020 11:46 am  #17

Unfortunately, public broadcasting, radio in particular, is more of a legacy medium than anything else. Valuable to have and should be preserved and nurtured but not something that is likely to be created when it doesn't already exist. This also means that if a public broadcaster is privatized or closed it's very unlikely to ever come back which is why politicians like O'Toole who promise to abolish the CBC (at least CBC Television) should be challenged. O'Toole claims he won't touch CBC Radio but he also says he'd end funding for CBC's digital services - not sure what that means but given that the future of radio is podcasting and digital delivery it's hard to see how this promise - apart from being very short-sighted in an era when private media is closing down local news operations - wouldn't harm CBC Radio by cutting it off from basically everyone under 50 or so who consumes media from digital platforms. 

At least the Ontario Tories, under Harris and Ford, knew enough to leave TVO alone despite wanting to privatize everything else. (Actually, it looks like the Ford government is trying to use TVO to shift students away from in-class learning on a permanent basis for at least part of their education.) 

Last edited by Hansa (September 28, 2020 11:49 am)