sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 16, 2020 8:40 am  #1

Major News Agency’s Bizarre Fact Check About Fox News In Canada

Did you know there’s a story on the Internet claiming Fox News is not available in Canada? Apparently, it’s a big deal – posts about the “fact” the conservative news service has been barred here has met with predictable outrage (everyone on the Internet seems perpetually outraged about something all the time) and the story has been shared more than 20,000 times.

According to the post, something called “The Radio Act” forbids lying to the public and thus the station isn’t allowed in the Great White North..

The problem, as those who gather here certainly know, is that none of it is true.

The story prompted Agence France-Presse, one of the world’s leading news services, to fact check the claim.

Here are their findings, under the headline “Fox News is available in Canada” which – regardless of what you think of the network - I find both amusing and disturbing.

September 16, 2020 9:41 am  #2

Re: Major News Agency’s Bizarre Fact Check About Fox News In Canada

I just re-read the Fact Check and realized I had absolutely no memory of a Fox News Canada being planned for this country. I do recall Sun TV being called Fox News North, but I can’t remember the actual U.S. outlet planning to start its own version here.

They ultimately decided not to launch, of course, but I’m amazed that it occupies such a blank space in this increasingly addled brain. Given the reaction to Sun, it must have been a huge story here in the early 2000’s. Does anyone else remember this or why they decided not to do it?

September 16, 2020 10:31 am  #3

Yeah, Canwest Global had an agreement to launch a Canadian version, but never did. And that's why the US version was so late arriving here -- no "ban", just a rights-holder not using them.

(Cue the "Liberal Canwest did this intentionally so keep the network out of Canada" conspirators.)

September 16, 2020 3:02 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Did you know there’s a story on the Internet claiming Fox News is not available in Canada? Apparently, it’s a big deal – posts about the “fact” the conservative news service has been barred here has met with predictable outrage (everyone on the Internet seems perpetually outraged about something all the time) and the story has been shared more than 20,000 times.

Is there outrage? The article you linked to implies this is being spread by a demo who are envious of this nonexistent law, not conservatives crying over alleged censorship.

One has to wonder if that claim was initially made to fool those who suggest only their political opposites fall for nonsense.