sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 8, 2020 3:42 pm  #1

The NFL is back and TSN has it

The sports world is all mixed up since the pandemic hit. Sportsnet has it hockey, baseball and some basketball, and now TSN has Football, NFL style.

It will be interesting as hockey, basketball and baseball wind down in October to see what would be on tap next for Sportsnet...and TSN...

But for now, we got football, here is the major announcement...

https://www.tsn.ca/tsn-and-ctv-kick-off-the-2020-nfl-season-september-10-1.1520948

My question is if you are watching sports, are you happy with what you're seeing? Is the lack of fans at the games impeding your excitement and the fact that the playoffs are on in August, September and October, a bit of a mind "F--k". To me it is a bit off kilter watching hockey in a bubble, with no fans during the summer...

Do you care as much about sports now as well or does the issues of the world we live in these days take precedence?

Please share...

Last edited by Muffaraw Joe (September 8, 2020 3:43 pm)

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

September 8, 2020 4:21 pm  #2

Re: The NFL is back and TSN has it

I remember a time when Rogers was trying to bring the Buffalo Bills to Toronto. Those days are long over, along with their NFL rights...

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 8, 2020 4:40 pm  #3

Can't say that I've watched more than a minute of MLB, NHL or NBA since they came back in their new formats.

September 9, 2020 7:14 am  #4

I've been watching both NHL and the Blue Jays since the return. I must say the lack of fans has not been a problem for me. Although I do miss the coverage of an errant foul ball flying into the stands causing a fan to spill their nachos.

September 9, 2020 7:41 am  #5

With the NFL back this weekend, all the 60 Minute fans out there, and there are many, begin getting frustrated. CBS has the 4:25pm game on Sept 20 and Oct 4. For those two weeks, and six more through the end of December, 60 Minutes will air at 7:30ish

September 9, 2020 12:09 pm  #6

Tq345 wrote:

I've been watching both NHL and the Blue Jays since the return. I must say the lack of fans has not been a problem for me. Although I do miss the coverage of an errant foul ball flying into the stands causing a fan to spill their nachos.

Baseball is just not the same without fan interference now, is it?  

Last edited by Radiowiz (September 9, 2020 12:10 pm)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

September 9, 2020 12:14 pm  #7

September 9, 2020 1:01 pm  #8

mace wrote:

With the NFL back this weekend, all the 60 Minute fans out there, and there are many, begin getting frustrated. CBS has the 4:25pm game on Sept 20 and Oct 4. For those two weeks, and six more through the end of December, 60 Minutes will air at 7:30ish

I'm just grateful CBS cancelled all the shows I liked on Sunday so it won't matter to me anymore. 

September 10, 2020 9:14 am  #9

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

My question is if you are watching sports, are you happy with what you're seeing? Is the lack of fans at the games impeding your excitement and the fact that the playoffs are on in August, September and October, a bit of a mind "F--k". To me it is a bit off kilter watching hockey in a bubble, with no fans during the summer...

Do you care as much about sports now as well or does the issues of the world we live in these days take precedence?

The NFL has shot itself in the foot with its incredulous embrace of the marxist BLM movement, alienating probably 40-50% of their fan base. The damage will be real and permanent. I expect they will use the pandemic as an excuse to explain their abysmal ratings when the numbers come out. No one will buy it.

September 10, 2020 1:23 pm  #10

Last year, retired Dallas Cowboys QB inked a 10 year deal with CBS for $180M to continue as lead analyst for their NFL broadcasts. To put that into perspective, he made $127M over 14 seasons with the Cowboys. As a broadcaster, he is scheduled to make roughly $900,000 per game! The league minimum salary is $610,000 for the season. CBS wanted to lock him up because ESPN was interested in him for Monday Night Football.                                              Regarding another members views on the BLM movement, all I will say is I am not a fan of the organization. I sincerely hope that this particular thread does not sink to the level that some threads have when politics get involved. I know that all the major North American sports leagues have various degrees of involvement with the organization so comments and views are to be expected. However, the subject could go off the rails quickly. I have confidence, with the guidance of RA, that it won't.

September 10, 2020 10:08 pm  #11

6079 Smith W wrote:

Muffaraw Joe wrote:

The NFL has shot itself in the foot with its incredulous embrace of the marxist BLM movement, alienating probably 40-50% of their fan base. The damage will be real and permanent. I expect they will use the pandemic as an excuse to explain their abysmal ratings when the numbers come out. No one will buy it.

So you'd rather that they continue to alienate 70 percent of their workforce?  That won't work anymore.

September 11, 2020 12:49 pm  #12

Prod Guy wrote:

So you'd rather that they continue to alienate 70 percent of their workforce?  That won't work anymore. 

Not sure why you want to change the subject by putting words into my mouth as to what I would rather, which matters very little. I was referring to what is in the league's own interests.
Opening night ratings were down 16%.

As of now, the viewership results for the game — in front of 17,000 socially distanced fans at KC’s Arrowhead Stadium — is looking like a 10-year low for the NFL and NBC.

September 11, 2020 5:29 pm  #13

Many people use sports to escape the world’s problems for three and a half hours. Mix the two, and viewership declines.

September 11, 2020 9:18 pm  #14

And that's why none of us saw Paul Henderson score in 1972 right?

September 12, 2020 4:27 pm  #15

6079 Smith W wrote:

The NFL has shot itself in the foot with its incredulous embrace of the marxist BLM movement

Marxist? Where does that come from? Poor choice of words? I'd love to hear when and how BLM all of a sudden has become "marxist." Care to enlighten us?

September 12, 2020 6:37 pm  #16

mike marshall wrote:

6079 Smith W wrote:

The NFL has shot itself in the foot with its incredulous embrace of the marxist BLM movement

Marxist? Where does that come from? Poor choice of words? I'd love to hear when and how BLM all of a sudden has become "marxist." Care to enlighten us?

Read their website. Watch the video of the founder.

September 12, 2020 9:15 pm  #17

Radio111 wrote:

mike marshall wrote:

6079 Smith W wrote:

Read their website. Watch the video of the founder.

Got a link? I was talking about the real Black Lives Movement.

September 13, 2020 5:24 am  #18

Look up Patrisse Cullors and Alicia Garza. Here’s a start

https://nypost.com/2020/06/25/blm-co-founder-describes-herself-as-trained-marxist/

Also, when protesters meet with city leaders, they want free housing, free water, no evictions ever for any reason, free food, etc. Not exactly police reform, not by a long shot.

Last edited by Radio111 (September 13, 2020 5:25 am)

September 13, 2020 3:12 pm  #19

Prod Guy wrote:

And that's why none of us saw Paul Henderson score in 1972 right?

September 13, 2020 10:34 pm  #20

Radio111 wrote:

Look up Patrisse Cullors and Alicia Garza. Here’s a start

https://nypost.com/2020/06/25/blm-co-founder-describes-herself-as-trained-marxist/

Also, when protesters meet with city leaders, they want free housing, free water, no evictions ever for any reason, free food, etc. Not exactly police reform, not by a long shot.

I have a real problem agreeing that BLM is a "marxist" movement. It's too decentralized, a reaction to events.
Hard to believe that the throngs, no, make that the millions of peaceful protesters worldwide have been hoodwinked by a few affirmed marxists.

The NYPost link you provided appears to have used Breitbart as a source for at least part of its story. I had already read it. Sorry, red flag for me.

Googling Black Lives Matter Marxist? got us a gazillion attempts to diminish the effectiveness of the on-again, off-again movement. There sure is a lot of crap out there.

Wikipedia mentions:
>> The U.S. population's perception of Black Lives Matter varies considerably by race; however, the majority of Americans, across all racial and ethnic groups, have expressed support for the Black Lives Matter movement. A 2020 Pew Research Center poll found that 60% of white, 77% of Hispanic, 75% of Asian and 86% of African-Americans either "strongly support" or "somewhat support" BLM. <<
That's what I see when I turn on cable news. It gives me hope.

September 13, 2020 10:41 pm  #21

Comparing things to Hitler and Stalin is to political debate is what a TV dinner is to cooking.  Quick, easy, and usually tasteless.

September 14, 2020 6:11 am  #22

Wikipedia? That can be edited by anybody. Not a reliable source.

Have you seen photos and video of Portland, Seattle, Chicago, etc? Surprised Portland hasn’t burned down by now.

The two founders are Marxists, that’s a fact. Have you even bothered to look them up? Much of what they want is Marxist and not police reform, that’s a fact. Look up a major US newspaper when they report on meetings between local officials and BLM. It’s more than “a few” Marxists, that’s a fact. Sure, some protesters are peaceful and not Marxist and actually believe this is a social justice cause. When they dig deeper, it isn’t. Support for BLM and defunding police has gone down from a few months ago when they truth comes out about the organization.

September 14, 2020 9:50 am  #23

this convo belongs on reddit or 4chan.  please move on from this radio board.

September 14, 2020 11:07 am  #24

Radio111 wrote:

they want free housing, free water, no evictions ever for any reason, free food, etc     

Don't we all?

geo

September 14, 2020 11:15 am  #25

splunge wrote:

Yeah, I have to agree, although I found the debate interesting. Unless BLM gets its own radio show (and nothing would surprise me these days!) we should probably move on.

September 14, 2020 2:55 pm  #26

RadioActive wrote:

splunge wrote:

Yeah, I have to agree, although I found the debate interesting. Unless BLM gets its own radio show (and nothing would surprise me these days!) we should probably move on.

👍 and 👍

Last edited by Media Observer (September 14, 2020 5:30 pm)

September 14, 2020 4:05 pm  #27

Have any ratings on either side of the border been published for yesterday’s games? All I have found is the Bears are down in Chicago TV from last year, but up from last year’s finale.

September 14, 2020 5:13 pm  #29

Radio111 wrote:

Have any ratings on either side of the border been published for yesterday’s games? All I have found is the Bears are down in Chicago TV from last year, but up from last year’s finale.

Looking like a decline overall...

https://brioux.tv/blog/2020/09/13/are-we-ready-for-some-football-first-thursday-a-so-so-draw/

https://deadline.com/2020/09/rams-nfl-sunday-night-football-ratings-down-cowboys-nbc-60-minutes-1234576202/

September 14, 2020 5:30 pm  #30

FOX drew a 16.2 share for the Brady/Brees showdown.