sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 23, 2020 4:12 pm  #91


Re: 1220

RadioActive wrote:

And of course the big question remains: when they finally do sign on, whatever century that may be, will they keep that varied playlist or go back to the traditional 300 songs that have worn out their welcome with most listeners?

Those same 300 songs may already by covered by MORE FM 101.1 which is in the area and perhaps Giant FM may soften with the new ownership. They will have to find a way to differentiate perhaps like Boom and Zoomer.
 

Last edited by Fitz (August 24, 2020 6:05 am)


Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/
 

August 24, 2020 11:44 am  #92


Re: 1220

RadioActive wrote:

And of course the big question remains: when they finally do sign on, whatever century that may be, will they keep that varied playlist or go back to the traditional 300 songs that have worn out their welcome with most listeners?

THE Bigger question is, how much does it cost to be in, what seems like "test mode" forever? 
If there's no ad time, where is the money coming from to pay for the tower...etc? 

 

 

September 14, 2020 12:37 pm  #93


Re: 1220

I came across this almost by accident on the CRTC site and I'm wondering if anyone here can explain it. If you scroll down to the fourth entry, you'll notice a numbered company, listed as "10070394 Canada Inc." the owner of the new CFAJ in St. Catharines.

The list of languages for the station is what intrigued me. It says "Ethnic" which clearly the place is not (or at least it isn't supposed to be. That's what got the previous owner in so much trouble that they eventually lost the licence.) Is this just because it's owned by Radio Dhun, which IS an ethnic broadcaster? Or is this a preview of something to come? 

Why would it be listed that way?

CRTC Licensing Page 

 

September 14, 2020 12:54 pm  #94


Re: 1220

RadioActive wrote:

I came across this almost by accident on the CRTC site and I'm wondering if anyone here can explain it. If you scroll down to the fourth entry, you'll notice a numbered company, listed as "10070394 Canada Inc." the owner of the new CFAJ in St. Catharines.

The list of languages for the station is what intrigued me. It says "Ethnic" which clearly the place is not (or at least it isn't supposed to be. That's what got the previous owner in so much trouble that they eventually lost the licence.) Is this just because it's owned by Radio Dhun, which IS an ethnic broadcaster? Or is this a preview of something to come? 

Why would it be listed that way?

CRTC Licensing Page 

My best guess is that it's exemption status is based on the fact the station is still in "testing" phase and hasn't been granted its certificate from ISED.  Maybe?

 

September 14, 2020 1:33 pm  #95


Re: 1220

Radiowiz wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

And of course the big question remains: when they finally do sign on, whatever century that may be, will they keep that varied playlist or go back to the traditional 300 songs that have worn out their welcome with most listeners?

THE Bigger question is, how much does it cost to be in, what seems like "test mode" forever? 
If there's no ad time, where is the money coming from to pay for the tower...etc? 

 

Two words: "immigration consulting".  The principals of the company are immigration consultants.
http://iccimmigration.ca

I also believe they might broker airtime on one of the GTA ethnic stations.  But they were not licensed as an ethnic station.  In fact in response to interventions they claimed they would not air ethnic programming directed to the GTA.  They would be allowed up to 15% of the weekly broadcast period 06:00-24:00 to air ethnic programs, under the standard conditions of licence.
 

 

October 12, 2020 7:37 pm  #96


Re: 1220

I think I may have accidentally stumbled on the one employee that we know works at CFAJ. His name is Peter Borbely and he spent a decade or so at CKTB in St. Catharines. His Facebook page, which hasn't been really updated in a long time, lists him as "Announcer/Music Director at 1220 CFAJ Radio." 

Whether that's still the case, it's hard to say. 

Not sure if he's the guy doing the occasional IDs, but the CFAJ Facebook page from a few months ago said they had one tower up at 1,000 watts and eight more to go. Eventually, they'll be at 10K but you have to wonder how long that's going to take. This thread began way back in February. I was listening to it on the weekend for about an hour but there's still no word of any official sign-on date. 

 

October 13, 2020 5:18 am  #97


Re: 1220

I can confirm he is the MD

 

November 2, 2020 5:25 pm  #98


Re: 1220

http://classic1220.ca/ is claiming to be their website, but it's "Coming soon..."

 

November 29, 2020 9:46 pm  #99


Re: 1220

I tried CFAJ a few days ago and the signal seems to be getting better. I left the radio on the station and when I turned it on about an hour ago I was surprised that I was still getting the station at night. Not that great but the signal was not obliterated by that Virginia religious station. In the sample below you will hear the night time signal from tonight until 4:50 and then a few minutes of the daytime signal from a few days ago. They are running PSA's now:

CFAJ Night and Day


Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/
 

November 30, 2020 2:46 am  #100


Re: 1220

Fitz wrote:

I tried CFAJ a few days ago and the signal seems to be getting better. I left the radio on the station and when I turned it on about an hour ago I was surprised that I was still getting the station at night. Not that great but the signal was not obliterated by that Virginia religious station. In the sample below you will hear the night time signal from tonight until 4:50 and then a few minutes of the daytime signal from a few days ago. They are running PSA's now:

CFAJ Night and Day

Interesting. The person doing the station ID's...is that the same person who used to ID the former 1220 CHSC?
The voice sounds familiar. 

 

November 30, 2020 10:07 am  #101


Re: 1220

It may be Peter Borbely, the one known employee at the station until they finally sign on. He's listed as the Music Director and  Announcer at CFAJ on his Facebook page. I'm guessing they're not likely to hire any other on air people until they're ready to actually program the thing fulltime - whenever that is. 

But I do agree with Fitz that their signal seems to be a lot stronger than it used to be. I assume it's because they're finally getting some of their sticks up and running.  

 

November 30, 2020 1:49 pm  #102


Re: 1220

RadioActive wrote:

It may be Peter Borbely, the one known employee at the station until they finally sign on. He's listed as the Music Director and  Announcer at CFAJ on his Facebook page. I'm guessing they're not likely to hire any other on air people until they're ready to actually program the thing fulltime - whenever that is. 

But I do agree with Fitz that their signal seems to be a lot stronger than it used to be. I assume it's because they're finally getting some of their sticks up and running.  

I've been able to listen to it in my car while driving around Whitby,  recently.
 

 

December 2, 2020 12:51 pm  #103


Re: 1220

DXing up in Kawarthas, no question CFAJ is now getting out, probably as it should with its parameters. The religious station is in Cleveland, so much closer than Virginia. I'd say much of the time at night they're about 50-50 with each other.
 

     Thread Starter