sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 1, 2020 8:03 pm  #1

A&E To Air Special "Biography" On The Creation Of MTV

The story of a music phenomenon will come back to life on Sept. 8th at 9 PM, when U.S. cable channel A&E airs a special Biography episode called "I Want My MTV." Although most Canadians never got to see the pioneering channel (we had to wait for MuchMusic instead) the station was the first in the world to go 24-hours a day with music videos. 

According to the logline:

"What started during the nascent days of cable television as a scrappy, playful music video lineup, rapidly evolved into a reflection of American youth culture. The special weaves together exclusive interviews with the network's founders and outtakes, including an interview with the late David Bowie that was never broadcast on television."  

"Interview subjects include Sting, Pat Benatar, Billy Idol, Annie Lennox, Nancy Wilson, Fab Five Freddy, Norman Lear, Darryl “DMC” McDaniels, among many others."

Norman Lear? Really? OK...

This being A&E, you can also see a rerun on Sept. 9 at 1 AM (Eastern) and it wouldn't surprise me if it turns up several more times after that during the month.  

You can watch a brief and ungeoblocked preview here.

September 1, 2020 8:32 pm  #2

Re: A&E To Air Special "Biography" On The Creation Of MTV

Thanks RA, Much sometimes felt like a wannabe MTV, this should be interesting. The 80's didn't age well in some ways, but some of the music still rocks and the Bowie interview alone makes it worth watching.

Last edited by betaylored (September 1, 2020 8:33 pm)

September 1, 2020 8:55 pm  #3

the classic pub quiz trivia question.... without googling, what was the first video played by mtv, and who was the band?

September 1, 2020 9:02 pm  #4

A&E used to be such a good channel, and now there isn't a lot of Arts or Entertainment to it.  One channel I rarely watch.  Will tune in this special though.  CNN did a great documentary on MTV in 2016 with the 80's and Video Killed the Radio Star.

True you couldn't get MTV on cable here but they were on dish and a lot of people had satellite back then. Most bars seemed to have dishes as well and would play MTV in the daytime until the band came out.

I remember being somewhat disappointed with MuchMusic when it first came on.  It seemed like a cable operation, amateurish and not a real network.  They did however improve a lot when they moved the studios from the cramped 99 Queen St East to the much larger 299 Queen St West  .A few years later they became a powerhouse in their own right.   

MTV and MuchMusic were good at being both mainstream and alternative at the same time, and introduced so many great new bands, styles of music and fashion.   

September 2, 2020 6:34 am  #5

splunge wrote:

the classic pub quiz trivia question.... without googling, what was the first video played by mtv, and who was the band?

If I'm not mistaken, it was "Video Killed The Radio Star" by The Buggles.

September 8, 2020 10:28 am  #6

Just a reminder for those interested, this 2-hour Biography special on the creation and history of MTV airs tonight (Tuesday, Sept. 9) at 9 PM, with a repeat at 1 AM.  

(And some may want to tune in at 7 PM for a 2-hour special on the life of Ozzy Osbourne, which is getting very good reviews for telling the true story behind this eccentric rock and roll survivor. He truly is Iron Man.)

September 8, 2020 10:46 am  #7

The 7pm Ozzy Osbourne Biography is a repeat. I watched the original Monday night at 9pm. Very well done. It is worth two hours of your life.