sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

September 1, 2020 9:44 am  #1

Ex-CHML Morning Man Paul Hanover Is Unexpectedly Alive & Well At 94

It wasn't the expected outcome, after he was apparently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, one of the most deadly forms of the disease. But as this article from the Hamilton Spectator explains, despite saying a long series of goodbyes to friends and colleagues, the one time "Mayor of the Morning" of Hamilton radio is still around - and appears to be in good health at age 94.

Hamilton radio legend Paul Hanover is alive and well. Turns out, CHML’s ‘Mayor of the Morning’ never had cancer

I don't recall Hanover from his Hamilton radio days, but I do remember him hosting a CTV game show in the 60s called "It's Your Move." IIRC, it was a form of charades. Glad to hear he's doing OK.

September 1, 2020 9:56 am  #2

Re: Ex-CHML Morning Man Paul Hanover Is Unexpectedly Alive & Well At 94

Pancreatic cancer must be difficult to diagnose.   Ronnie Hawkins reportedly had it and was thrown a huge "going away" party.     He hung on and a young faith healer from Vancouver took credit for his survival 

Eventually it was reported that he never had pancreatic cancer, perhaps just a gigantic hangover

K.K.

September 1, 2020 10:29 pm  #3

Paul did mornings on CHML Monday-Saturday. Flew to Montreal to tape at CFCF and then back home. On a few occasions he got snowed in at YUL and missed his Monday shift. Maybe it was Phil Hitchcock who filled in.

September 2, 2020 8:42 am  #4

Paul Hanover was the Wally Crouter of Hamilton, on air at CHML from 1945-82. I don't know if all of those 37 years were done in morning drive.

September 2, 2020 9:04 am  #5

I hope in 6 year's time we'll be able to congratulate 100 years...that would be nice, since it seems to be such a rare thing these days.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.