sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 26, 2020 8:01 pm  #1

Hurricane Radio: Has This Ever Happened Here During A Disaster?

I was tuning into some Lake Charles, Louisiana radio stations Wednesday night, just to hear what they were up to as a Category 4 hurricane heads right for them. Some appeared to be on autopilot, playing music, which probably doesn't make much difference since large numbers of people have evacuated what experts are calling an "unsurvivable' storm. 

But I did notice that several of the iHeart radio stations in both the Cajun state and in Texas were all airing the same feed, a guy who was taking calls from listeners, updating the forecast and the progress of this monster, giving advice for those who decided to stay behind, reminding listeners that if one station gets knocked off the air, the others will still have the show and noting that "they've made arrangements" to have someone on the air live 24 hours a day. (Which I assume means they often have syndicated or automated shows on in normal times.) 

I remember when Katrina hit New Orleans, almost every radio station, regardless of ownership, were all taking WWL's feed. It had been designated the emergency radio station for the entire state and kept right on broadcasting through that disaster.

This prompted a few questions and I figured someone here might know.

-Has there ever been a time when one station in Southern Ontario took over the programming of all the other co-owned outlets during an emergency? Would you, for example, expect to hear 680 News on CHFI or KISS-FM in Toronto if things got real bad? Or CFRB taking over Virgin 99.9 or CHUM-FM? Has that ever happened?

-Does Toronto and other big markets have an official go-to emergency station that all the others can use in the event of a true disaster? If so, which one is it? 

-The audio of one TV station (KATC, the ABC afilliate) will be broadcast non-stop on an AM station. (In fact, many of the local TV stations are broadcasting their signals live and for free over the Internet.) I wonder if CP24 would replace some radio signal here if needed? 

-And finally, I recently saw a copy of the Thornhill Liberal, a Toronto Star-owned Metroland newspaper that comes out in The City Above Toronto every Thursday. I noticed the local government has been taking out ads about city issues and up at the top on a green banner it says something like, "Tune to 105.9 for all the latest Vaughan news in an emergency." That would be The Region, a station few of us even know about. (Although they have some incredibly well known names working there.) Are they actually designated as the emergency station by the local government or is that just some kind of deal they have with City Hall up that way?

I'm hoping the folks in Louisiana and deep in the heart of Texas get out of this relatively unscathed. Until then, listening to some of their coverage over the radio has been quite fascinating, in a very grim kind of way. But it does show how vital radio is in precarious times, especially since some may have no power for days or weeks on end once this thing is done with them. But their battery-operated radios will still be there and there will be voices in all that darkness.

August 26, 2020 8:12 pm  #2

Re: Hurricane Radio: Has This Ever Happened Here During A Disaster?

In times of natural disaster or national emergency, you will be advised to tune into a CBC radio station.  Commercial radio stations will advise listeners of this, and they are all free to pick up CBC feeds and become temporary affiliates.  

August 26, 2020 8:18 pm  #3

If that's true, I'm guessing that both Rogers and Bell would keep at least one of their stations going to feed their owned outlets, rather than take the CBC. Let's hope we never have to find out! 

August 26, 2020 8:21 pm  #4

paterson1 wrote:

In times of natural disaster or national emergency, you will be advised to tune into a CBC radio station.  Commercial radio stations will advise listeners of this, and they are all free to pick up CBC feeds and become temporary affiliates.  

Is there a current policy that points to this?

August 26, 2020 8:27 pm  #5

Here's a list of several TV stations that are broadcasting their signal live over the web if anyone is curious to watch the local coverage. This is when broadcasters and newsrooms get a chance to shine, although they aren't likely to see the sun for some time.  

KATC, Lafeyette, La.

KPLC, Lake Charles, La.

KBMT, Beaumont, Texas

August 26, 2020 8:33 pm  #6

There was/is procedure for radio and tv stations in national emergencies.  Please understand this is "the big one."  Declaration of war, atomic bombs. invasion of the country, natural disasters with hundreds of thousands or millions dying and large parts of the country without power, anything really that would be of imminent threat to the lives of thousands or millions. 

It has never happened thank goodness but there is a procedure and I am sure and trust that it is updated.  And yes let's hope we never need to use it.

Last edited by paterson1 (August 26, 2020 8:35 pm)

August 26, 2020 8:55 pm  #7

there is no CRTC policy covering this.  however, recall the situation in Ft. McMurray during the fire in 2016.  local stations stayed on the air for as long as possible, then the station's tx rebroadcast from edmonton.   the Commission recognizes and encourages such emergency situations.... stations aren't penalized at all for providing a public service as per the broadcasting act.

There is also the national public alerting system that could take control of all stations if needed.

i could be wrong but didn't rogers default to CFTR during 9/11?

Last edited by splunge (August 26, 2020 8:59 pm)

August 27, 2020 12:23 am  #8

In the west, when the floods hit Calgary, the Corus cluster was evacuated because at the time their studios were very close to the river. 770 CHQR simulcasted 630 CHED in Edmonton for a few days until CHQR was able to set up a temporary studio somewhere. CBC Radio also had to evacuate but they found a place uphill to broadcast from. CFFR (660 News) was unaffected. 

IIRC, in 2017 when that guy drove the cube van around Edmonton, 630 CHED was simulcast on 880 CHQT. 

Also, I believe the Rogers radio stations in Ft McMurray simulcasted 660 News from Calgary during the 2016 fires, because Rogers didn't have a news/talk outlet in Edmonton and CFFR probably couldn't reach Fort Mac.

August 27, 2020 6:50 am  #9

RA; Several years ago when a serious tornado briefly touched down in Vaughn, a warning was issued for the City Of Toronto. I was working at Bruno's that night and I remember the sky being a sickly green colour. One of the butchers always listened to CHFI and that evening, 680NEWS was being simulcast on 98.1.                                                     Regarding Hurricane Laura, I was watching storm coverage on the U.S. Weather Channel last night. Storm analysts were commenting on the possibility that the predicted 20 ft. storm surge could reach 40 miles inland. I shudder to think of the ramifications for Toronto if the city was ever faced with a two story wall of water off Lake Ontario pushed by 150 mph winds on top of days of torrential rainfall. In 1954, Hazel caused the death of 81 Torontonians just with the rainfall and flooding.

August 27, 2020 7:30 am  #10

All interesting recollections, and yes, I do remember that bizarre green sky. I was driving home from work that night and kept looking up through the windshield in disbelief at the heavens. I also recall some of the hydro lines kept sparking as I passed the poles. What a weird evening that was.

I heard on one of CFRB's morning newscasts this stunning comparison about Laura's impact. They said if the same kind of storm came ashore from Lake Ontario, the predicted surge would send a wall of water from the lake shore all the way to Aurora - almost tsunami-like. That is simply incredible and we can only hope for the best for those folks down south.

August 27, 2020 2:35 pm  #11

RadioActive wrote:

Here's a list of several TV stations that are broadcasting their signal live over the web if anyone is curious to watch the local coverage. This is when broadcasters and newsrooms get a chance to shine, although they aren't likely to see the sun for some time.  

KATC, Lafeyette, La.

KPLC, Lake Charles, La.

KBMT, Beaumont, Texas

KPLC, one of the broadcasters listed above, has had its facilities so badly damaged, it's been knocked off air, leaving its building in ruins. The destruction is described as "breathtaking." If true, it may be a long time before they're back on the air. 

Hurricane Laura Ravages Gray, Cumulus Stations, With All Employees Safe

August 27, 2020 8:51 pm  #12

CHUM simulicasted CP24 ON CHUM-FM during the first night 2003 blackout