sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

August 13, 2020 8:15 am  #31

Re: Boycotted. Criticized. But Fox News Leads the Pack in Prime Time

unclefester wrote:

Prod Guy wrote:

Her own website calls her African American   

That may well be her preference but i don't buy it

I just saw  a picture of her mom and dad earlier tonight. Have you not seen it?

While it may be convenient I still say she is fudging the facts.

She is mixed race or if you prefer a woman of colour.

Both those descriptors are far more accurate than African American

But it's much like Elizabeth Warren and her native American family tree (LOL).  I get it.

Harris is looking for votes and plays the race card. I get it.

For what it's worth, Harris - like Obama - is of mixed race. Her father is from Jamaica while her mother was born in India. But it's silly that a person's race should matter.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 13, 2020 8:21 am  #32

unclefester wrote:

Prod Guy wrote:

But it's much like Elizabeth Warren and her native American family tree (LOL).  I get it.

Harris is looking for votes and plays the race card. I get it.

No unclefester, I don't think you "get it" at all.  Amazing how you have this all figured out after only one day!   Why not see how the campaign rolls out first and actually listen to what Harris and Biden have to say.  That might be a good place to start, to help you have a more informed understanding.  Maybe then you will get it!  

August 13, 2020 9:03 am  #33

unclefester I agree, she may have been born in Montreal .... we need her long form birth certificate, not a statement ov live birth. Perhaps the Donald can put his crack investigators who tried to prove Obama was not born in the US on the case, or even better he can send Rudy on another "investigation"

August 13, 2020 9:44 am  #34

You know, I actually thought long and hard before posting the original story from the NY Times because I was afraid this kind of dialogue would sprout from it. There's just no way to have a conversation about this without polarizing everyone. Still, I have to congratulate you guys and gals for at least keeping it fairly civil. That's rarely the outcome online for these kinds of disputes and I want you to know I appreciate it.

As someone who's neither a confirmed liberal or a conservative, here's what I would like to see in the media (the original point of this forum.) How about news networks that actually vet both sides and calls them on their BS? Someone right down the middle that doesn't lean one way or the other and just presents the facts?

I've watched some of the major TV network news coverage (NBC, CBS, ABC) of the Harris nomination and it was mostly full-on lavish praise. It didn't appear there was a lot of scrutiny about her and it was more like a coronation than just a candidate announcement. I found that highly disturbing. There is certainly no lack of coverage whenever Trump spouts a falsehood and deservedly so. I would only hope there would be similar fact checking when the Democrats speak, too. As the title of the Judy Collins song goes, "Both Sides Now." 

No one knows who's going to win this contest, but the one thing we do know is that every politician is full of BS 90% of the time. The media needs to call both sides on it - and yes, that goes for Fox News, too. Otherwise how can the ordinary citizen make an informed decision?

My sister has lived in the U.S. since 1969. She laments her choice this year and doesn't really want to vote for either of these clowns. What does it say about the current state of affairs that in a country of more than 330 million, these are the best two people chosen to compete for the most important office in the world? Yikes!

Anyway, I'm going to let this go on for a bit because everyone seems to have a lot to say. But really, this isn't the forum for it. And at some point, we should move on.

It's just around the corner, but boy, does it seem like a long way to November...  

August 13, 2020 9:51 am  #35

Dale Patterson wrote:

unclefester wrote:

Prod Guy wrote:

Harris is of mixed race. It's silly that a person's race should matter.

Tell that to Ms Harris and the CNN's of the world. Just for fun pick a day or an afternoon &  count how may times THEY reference her "race"   

August 13, 2020 9:57 am  #36

RadioActive wrote:

this isn't the forum for it. And at some point, we should move on.   

Agreed, although when considered along side recent threads about Sumner Redstone's death, Bruce Morrow's resurrection and Elliotte Freidman's hair style, its relevancy begins to become, well, relevant

K.K.

Last edited by Kosmos Kagool (August 13, 2020 9:58 am)

August 13, 2020 10:07 am  #37

Maybe, but at least those are about broadcasting, radio and TV. This is more about politics than the media. All I'm saying is there are probably a lot more appropriate places to discuss it than here. Although clearly and understandably, it's struck a nerve with many.

August 13, 2020 10:11 am  #38

g121 wrote:

unclefester wrote:

President Trump has referenced CNN's ratings on more than one occasion. His infamous head on collisions with Jim Acosta are often the battle scene where he makes such remarks. And of course he's right.

If you're not already in therapy, best get there quick .. 

Not sure how "civil" this comment is

Disappointed in you g121

August 13, 2020 11:32 am  #39

One thing missing in this thread is the way ratings fall.

Sadly with mainstream American news media being so split on right and left, you have to look at audiences based on this.

The left of center has CNN, MSNBC + a few others
The right, really has FOX

So right way the left is split and sharing audience, where the right of center isn't as much.    This would give FOX a larger lead on this alone only because of the political split in the USA.

I'm not saying Fox isn't leading, but to say more American's watch Fox, I would want to see what all the left of center news networks score at as a whole. This tells the larger picture...  

I wish news networks would go back to covering the news and not doing editorial opinion shows all the time..   Cover both sides and don't take a side unless it's clearly based on fact vs opinion. 

Last edited by radiokid (August 13, 2020 11:35 am)

August 13, 2020 12:49 pm  #40

Newsmax also has a right leaning TV news station, but their audience is likely minuscule.

Biden has had so many gaffs over the years, even making potentially racist comments, yet it’s isn’t reported much other than Fox. There is no middle ground news station in the US.

Unlike four years ago, there’s isn’t a third party candidate getting much media attention. Kanye West does not count- his is more for curiosity and laughs.

August 13, 2020 1:03 pm  #41

radiokid wrote:

I wish news networks would go back to covering the news and not doing editorial opinion shows all the time..   Cover both sides and don't take a side unless it's clearly based on fact vs opinion. 

100% agree. That is what's missing and there's no telling if we'll ever get it back. You shouldn't be able to tell which way a reporter (not an opinion columnist, which is a different animal) is leaning if they're doing it correctly. Sadly, too often these days, too many aren't.

August 13, 2020 2:27 pm  #42

RadioActive wrote:

radiokid wrote:

100% agree. That is what's missing and there's no telling if we'll ever get it back. You shouldn't be able to tell which way a reporter (not an opinion columnist, which is a different animal) is leaning if they're doing it correctly. Sadly, too often these days, too many aren't.

America always believed "Uncle" Walter Cronkite would never lie to you. He only reported the news. The first and probably only time he editorialzed his opinion and stated that it was his personal view was in early 1968 that it was time to leave Vietnam. Shortly after that Lyndon Johnson decided not to seek re-election. His words were something like My God, If I've lost Cronkite, I've lost the nation.

August 13, 2020 2:51 pm  #43

Mace - regarding objectivity and 'both sides-ism' in the media, I am reminded of what Hunter Thompson wrote of Nixon on the occasion of his death:

"Some people will say that words like scum and rotten are wrong for Objective Journalism -- which is true, but they miss the point. It was the built-in blind spots of the Objective rules and dogma that allowed Nixon to slither into the White House in the first place. He looked so good on paper that you could almost vote for him sight unseen. He seemed so all-American, so much like Horatio Alger, that he was able to slip through the cracks of Objective Journalism. You had to get Subjective to see Nixon clearly, and the shock of recognition was often painful."

What was true of one man then is true of the multitudes of acolytes now.

August 13, 2020 3:16 pm  #44

Radio111 wrote:

Newsmax also has a right leaning TV news station, but their audience is likely minuscule.

Biden has had so many gaffs over the years, even making potentially racist comments, yet it’s isn’t reported much other than Fox. There is no middle ground news station in the US.

Unlike four years ago, there’s isn’t a third party candidate getting much media attention. Kanye West does not count- his is more for curiosity and laughs.

That's the deal, Biden's mistakes or gaffs.  When Trump makes inaccurate or bigoted comments, are they gaffs?  Or because he does them so often and they seem directed at specific groups are they really gaffs?  Biden comes across as a good guy who makes mistakes and will own up to them, even be self deprecating.  Trump comes across as a bully and egotist who can never admit he made a mistake, but will always blame someone else.  One is a man, the other a 10 year old.

Just watching Joe Biden and Kamala Harris speak yesterday was reassuring.  What a difference from the unethical gong show we see with Trump and Pence.  Better, more stable, prosperity and happier days are just around the corner for the USA.  

August 13, 2020 5:28 pm  #45

Did Mr. Biden and Ms. Harris take any questions after yesterdays event?

No? Anybody figure out why not?

Remind me again what jobs these folks are standing for

August 13, 2020 6:29 pm  #46

Biden doesn’t even know where he is or his wife from his sister. The man is clearly losing it, yet most of the media ignores it.

Biden has made several bigoted comments, but CNN and MSNBC covers for him. “That’s just Joe” they say. Never mind he was against school busing in the 70s. Why won’t the media ask him some questions?

Remember, Clinton was a shoo-in to win said the polls. Look what happened.

August 13, 2020 8:25 pm  #47

The racist birtherism has already started re K Harris in the right wing. One would hope that it does not gain traction outside Trump TV or the fever swamps of the racist fringe.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

August 14, 2020 1:27 am  #48

unclefester wrote:

Did Mr. Biden and Ms. Harris take any questions after yesterdays event?

No? Anybody figure out why not?

Because no one ever does when announcing their running mate?  It's an announcement, not a press conference.

August 14, 2020 6:17 am  #49

Fitz wrote:

The racist birtherism has already started re K Harris in the right wing. One would hope that it does not gain traction outside Trump TV or the fever swamps of the racist fringe.

Are you sure it’s racism? When some questioned Ted Cruz’s or John McCain’s eligibility based on their birthplaces, was that racism? Cruz is pretty conservative, McCain was more moderate.

August 14, 2020 12:59 pm  #50

How sad to see the infiltration into Canada of so many alt-right, tRumpster tropes. One hopes that enough Canadians understand it for what it really is...uninformed ideas, repeated ad nauseam, looking for believers, all in the name of talk-radio, angry-man nonsense.

Hold fast, Canada. We don't need to follow conspiracy-lovers down the rabbit hole into the abyss. We've already seen what that has done to the formerly-great America.,,and it ain't pretty.

August 14, 2020 2:20 pm  #51

OK, it's been four days, we've had 50 replies and more than 2,000 views of this topic, so I'm aware it has high interest. And I think I've given everyone a fair chance to have their say. But neither side will ever convince the other and ultimately, this isn't really a topic for this forum. 

November looms (I wish there was this much passion for a Canadian election!)  and I have no doubt there will be more to come. Just, hopefully, not on this specific topic, which I'm going to close before it gets out of hand. Those who support the right will always think they're right and those on the left will always think they're - er, right, which is a nice trick if you can do it.

Thanks to all who expressed their opinions.

August 14, 2020 5:44 pm  #52

OK, I know I closed this topic, but this seemed to be the perfect way to finish it off once and for all. So just one more. After all, shouldn't the longest running sitcom in TV history (which predicted the Trump presidency years before it happened) get the last word?

Marge Simpson Has A Message