sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 31, 2020 11:42 am  #1

CRTC Pulls Two Radio Licenses In Quebec On The Same Day

They're not local stories, but when the CRTC pulls not one, but two radio licences in the same day, it’s worth noting. The Commission has decided that multiple violations of its regulations are so egregious, it’s stripped them of their right to broadcast.

The first, CFOR, in a place called Maniwaki, Quebec, had amassed a huge list of problems and when its owner was called on the carpet and was supposed to appear before the Commission to explain, despite numerous chances, he never even bothered to show up!

The other station, CJMS in Saint-Constant, had a similar list of repeated wrongs it didn't bother to fix and like its fellow broadcaster, it also repeatedly failed to provide the CRTC with the documents it asked for.

The long list of wrongdoings can be seen here and here if you’re interested, but here’s my favourite: one of the accusations against CJMS is that it was supposed to broadcast local news and information about the small community it serves. Instead, it simply re-aired newscasts from a Montreal station.  

Their excuse is simply incredible:

“[T]he licensee admitted that it did not have staff at its disposal to cover the area of Saint-Constant. Rather, it claimed to depend on the news published in the newspapers and that the events in Saint-Constant do not seem to attract journalists’ attention. Accordingly, the Commission considers that CJMS does not adequately serve Saint-Constant, the market it is licenced to serve.”

Yep, you read that right. The newspapers didn’t cover their small town, so neither could they. We all know how some stations, especially talk formats, rely on newspapers for their content but this is ridiculous!

I honestly can’t recall a day when two stations received the ultimate penalty. Both have been ordered to leave the air by August 31st.

July 31, 2020 6:21 pm  #2

Re: CRTC Pulls Two Radio Licenses In Quebec On The Same Day

Those call letters look familiar. 1570 Orillia and 1280 Montreal.

July 31, 2020 6:42 pm  #3

mace wrote:

Those call letters look familiar. 1570 Orillia and 1280 Montreal.

Looks like they'll be available again after August 31st!

July 31, 2020 10:00 pm  #4

Just curious and for the sake of discussion.

Let's say a licensee smartens up and now decides in good faith they want to salvage the station. They want to resolve all the outstanding issues and have to funds to so so. Once the situation gets to this point is there anything they could do that would persuade the CRTC to grant them a reprieve?  Or is it futile?

July 31, 2020 10:48 pm  #5

If I was on the commission I would let them fry.  Both of these companies have had many chances over the years.   Note of correction, neither of the licenses were pulled.  Both  expire on August 31 2020 and aren't being renewed. Doesn't sound like either company came for the hearings for renewal and didn't do any paperwork, also never produced any financial statements.   The CRTC almost never pulls a license before it expires.

Apparently CJMS and CFOR (who have different owners) have had problems for years and made no effort to help themselves or the situation they were in.  In the case of CJMS they didn't even show up for hearings as far back as 2013.  That tells me they don't put much value on their business or the privilege and responsibility of running a radio station. 

There are other responsible individuals and companies that would value running a broadcast operation in these two communities and I am sure it won't be long before new, professional and better stations are up and running.  

August 1, 2020 6:16 pm  #6

Is it possible the stations could be sold, and the CRTC gives the new owner(s) a short term renewal?

August 1, 2020 7:27 pm  #7

Radio111 wrote:

Is it possible the stations could be sold, and the CRTC gives the new owner(s) a short term renewal?

That's an excellent point, but I think the frequencies would have to go up for a renewal study first. 
There may be many who would like to have those frequencies for future use. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 1, 2020 8:19 pm  #8

Radiowiz wrote:

Radio111 wrote:

That's an excellent point, but I think the frequencies would have to go up for a renewal study first. 
There may be many who would like to have those frequencies for future use. 

the easy answer is no.  the licences will expire at the end of august, period.  in other words, the current owner has no licence to sell.  it was different in the recent BC decisions, since renewal was predicated on a transfer of ownership.

note at the end of the maniwaki decision (i don't remember it in the st. constant, but could be) that the commission encourages new applicants to apply for the market.

it's too late for the current owners to sell or pretend to be contrite. 

August 2, 2020 4:41 pm  #9

Considering 980AM just went dark in Montreal, I can’t imagine a run to reactivate 1040. A sale would have at least given it a shot.

August 2, 2020 6:28 pm  #10

Radio111 wrote:

Considering 980AM just went dark in Montreal, I can’t imagine a run to reactivate 1040. A sale would have at least given it a shot.

Sort of interesting since St. Constant is within the Montreal urban area.  So this will be two AM operations in the Montreal region going dark.  One because of financial difficulty and they surrendered their license and the other who has been in non compliance for years and having a license expire at the end of the month. 

Maniwaki CFOR is FM with a rock format, but the town itself is only 4,000 people so the two AM stations in Montreal actually may have more of a chance of coming back since of where they are located. 

Francophone Gold/Oldies maybe??  English oldies have been tried in Montreal without much success but a station playing 60% french oldies and 40% english oldies with  news and possibly a talk show through the week.  Almost like a francophone version of Zoomer!  980 was 50,000 watts daytime and 10,000 night. 

August 3, 2020 7:13 pm  #11

Montreal has mostly French (with some English) oldies with 1570. Dismal numbers, so I hear. Perhaps they broker quite a bit on weekends to stay afloat?