sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 29, 2020 1:50 pm  #31

Re: WECK's Ridiculous Billboard Ad Strains Credibility In Buffalo

mace wrote:

Buddy Shula: The SOWNY board is civil because our moderator, RA, does an excellent job keeping it that way. Yes, at times the discussions have been "heated" and "political". Conversations involving the CBC tend to to bring out strong opinions on both sides of the political spectrum. RA has always done an amazing job of restoring order to the classroom.

👍

July 29, 2020 3:23 pm  #32

Awww! You guys make me blush. I haven't been this embarrassed since one of my co-workers saw how small the numbers were on my last pay cheque!

But to be fair, the Golden Rule continues to be: "It's OK to disagree but it's not OK to be disagreeable." I thank you guys and gals for always (well mostly!) trying to follow that. Now back to your WECK thread, already in progress.

July 29, 2020 4:06 pm  #33

mace wrote:

Buddy Shula: The SOWNY board is civil because our moderator, RA, does an excellent job keeping it that way. Yes, at times the discussions have been "heated" and "political". Conversations involving the CBC tend to to bring out strong opinions on both sides of the political spectrum. RA has always done an amazing job of restoring order to the classroom.

RA has been a superb moderator. He has brought SOWNY to a new level. My thanks to IG for reviving the board at its lowest point then choosing RA as a replacement, giving him a chance to shine. Craig Smith is looking down and smiling.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 29, 2020 5:17 pm  #34

Dale Patterson wrote:

RA has been a superb moderator. He has brought SOWNY to a new level. My thanks to IG for reviving the board at its lowest point then choosing RA as a replacement, giving him a chance to shine. Craig Smith is looking down and smiling. 

Completely agree. Not only is he a worthy successor to those two moderators, but also the one who started this forum. 

August 20, 2020 10:28 am  #35

RadioActive wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was talking about listening to them without the Internet present, like in the car. (Although I know you can do that if you really want to go to the trouble - I don't!) I often find the stations I really like in this area are the ones I can never get over-the-air.

It never used to be that way. I remember when stations like WGRF, WHTT, WEDG and WBUF used to come in like locals. Now you're lucky if you can get any signal from them at all. Even WBEN on AM is tough to pull in. I miss those days. 

In the old days I was never really a DX'er and in fact was not even familiar with the term but I did like to check around the dial to see what was there. Of late I guess I have become a DX'er as I find little to listen to on local radio save maybe some things on CBC french, Jazz FM and the Roger Ashby show.

Anyway I think the main problem with clear reception ( as opposed to the programming issues) is the crowded dial for example today on one radio I was actually getting a stereo signal for WYRK at 106.5 and on another I was getting the HD feed for Element FM at the same frequency. During the summer 107.7 is often a battle between the CKDO repeater and WLKK FM from Buffalo. I live maybe halfway between Hamilton and Cobourg and at 107.9 I could turn the antenna and get either the  Cobourg Classic Rock station or Y 108 from Hamilton

The problem for where I live is not the fact that I can't get the Buffalo stations. I can and even a good signal at times. On frequencies where is is not a strong local there are competing signals especially during the summer. Also adjacent channel interference due to the number of stations and HD radio. 

Last edited by Fitz (August 20, 2020 10:37 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

August 20, 2020 11:06 am  #36

The crowded dial and all its accompanying noise is certainly one reason these stations are gone. WGRF, WEDG and WHTT used to come in here like locals off the air. Same for WBUF. Now it's very rare I can hear them at all, let alone get a listenable signal.

Only superpowered grandfathered WTSS 102.5 and WDCX 99.5 are still clear here. WKSE is just OK where I am. But other than that, nada.

I think I heard somewhere that a few of the others mentioned above moved their transmitters further south a few years ago, which also didn't help matters. Does anyone know if that's true and if so, why and which ones?

August 20, 2020 12:23 pm  #37

I have found once you get east of Toronto, the Buffalo FM's are crystal clear. I have a friend in Whitby that I occasionally visit. Reception there is fine. Same with Oakville and Burlington. But yeah, in the city 98.5, 99.5 and 102.5 are the only reliable signals. 104.1 has constant interference from the Dock. 96.9 starts to improve east of Yonge. 103.3 has a fair signal and 92.9 is a writeoff for both Jack and the Grand.

August 20, 2020 12:29 pm  #38

I haven't been to Buffalo for eons. How do the Toronto stations come in there?

August 20, 2020 7:34 pm  #39

I got Q-107 as far as Cleveland one night. Wanted to see how far I could hold the signal. This is back when they were carrying the Leaf games.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

August 20, 2020 8:30 pm  #40

There was a time once also, where WHTT and some other Buffalo stations were secured listening choices here in Toronto through cable radio. Those days are long gone. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 20, 2020 8:51 pm  #41

Radiowiz wrote:

There was a time once also, where WHTT and some other Buffalo stations were secured listening choices here in Toronto through cable radio. Those days are long gone. 

The only Buffalo stations left on the radio service on cable on Rogers are WBFO and WNED but I don't believe anyone listens to any of the radio on the cable box b/c I have been saying for years that the Zoomer feed is in mono on cable but does not need to be and yes Rogers is still carrying the Vancouver Jack station at least it was when I last checked about 5 or 6 months ago.

Good for them for carrying WBFO though. The WNED FM signal is actually one of the more reliable ones at 94.5. Indie 88.1 is not on at all on cable or at least was not the last time I checked.

Last edited by Fitz (August 20, 2020 8:56 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

August 20, 2020 10:30 pm  #42

Fitz wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

The only Buffalo stations left on the radio service on cable on Rogers are WBFO and WNED but I don't believe anyone listens to any of the radio on the cable box b/c I have been saying for years that the Zoomer feed is in mono on cable but does not need to be and yes Rogers is still carrying the Vancouver Jack station at least it was when I last checked about 5 or 6 months ago.

Good for them for carrying WBFO though. The WNED FM signal is actually one of the more reliable ones at 94.5. Indie 88.1 is not on at all on cable or at least was not the last time I checked.

Agree with you about the 740 feed.   Even the sports talk 590 channel sounds better.

August 22, 2020 8:45 am  #43

Fitz wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Yes WNED, WBFO and Vancouver's JACK FM are still there along with Energy 95.3 from Hamilton and CICX 106 from Orillia. And yes Indie88 has still not been added.

August 22, 2020 1:34 pm  #44

mace wrote:

Fitz wrote:

Radiowiz wrote:

Yes WNED, WBFO and Vancouver's JACK FM are still there along with Energy 95.3 from Hamilton and CICX 106 from Orillia. And yes Indie88 has still not been added.

YET CKLN used to be present. There should be room to add Indie 88 in the former CKLN spot.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

August 23, 2020 2:16 am  #45

I agree. Shouldn't all the Toronto AM/FM stations be available on the Rogers tv guide menu. There is certainly enough room to accomodate them.

August 23, 2020 2:53 pm  #46

mace wrote:

I agree. Shouldn't all the Toronto AM/FM stations be available on the Rogers tv guide menu. There is certainly enough room to accommodate them.

Absolutely.  For example as a sports radio fan,  I would love to get a decent signal for AM1050;  but Rogers isn't going to give a channel to the FAN's competition.