sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 3, 2020 11:55 am  #1

New WBBZ-TV Subcarriers Mean You May Need To Rescan

You'd think they might eventually run out of room, but if you're lucky enough to get WBBZ, the low power station out of Buffalo, the outlet is recommending you rescan your TV to be sure three new channels get added. 

Start TV will be on 67-6, and includes a line-up of (what else?) vintage TV shows like Cagney & Lacey, The Good Wife and Touched By An Angel. (I wonder if these stations will ever run out of old shows to buy?) 

Channel 67-7 promises Decades TV, which divides the daypart into various years, with the 1950s at 9 AM, the 60s from 10 AM to 2 PM, 70s shows air from 2 PM - 4, while the 1980s get highlighted from 4 o'clock onwards. (They're currently showing Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In daily, and it's killing me that I can't get it here!)

And finally, a network called Movies! is pretty much self defining, running various genres of flicks 24 hours a day. It's on channel 67-8. 

According to WBBZ, these stations were supposed to be added on July 1st, although since I can't get them, there's no way to see if they're there. But if they interest you and you can pull in the signal, they sound like worthy additions to your free viewing choices.  

July 3, 2020 12:30 pm  #2

Re: New WBBZ-TV Subcarriers Mean You May Need To Rescan

Ugh too bad.  I got it once here in Etobicoke one night and that was it.  

July 3, 2020 3:47 pm  #3

markow202 wrote:

Ugh too bad.  I got it once here in Etobicoke one night and that was it.  

WBBZ transmits on VHF RF 7, the 67.1 is the virtual channel...  VHF at around 29 kw, and a general lack of height relative to other broadcasters in the Western N.Y. area.

Their transmitter / antenna is located on a former AT&T microwave relay tower in Springville N.Y. just s/w of Colden N.Y.

I've been able to pick them up here in Burlington, but only for a few weeks at a time, and generally towards the end of August or mid September.

July 3, 2020 4:47 pm  #4

Currently, Decades is available in only three other N.Y. State markets. New York- WNYW, Albany-WNYA and Rochester-WBGT

July 3, 2020 5:03 pm  #5

It's probably the one subcarrier I'd really like to get the most. Shame it's not on WGRZ, WKBW or WUTV. Oh well. Maybe next Decade! 

July 20, 2020 11:55 am  #6

RadioActive wrote:

Channel 67-7 promises Decades TV, which divides the daypart into various years, with the 1950s at 9 AM, the 60s from 10 AM to 2 PM, 70s shows air from 2 PM - 4, while the 1980s get highlighted from 4 o'clock onwards. (They're currently showing Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In daily, and it's killing me that I can't get it here!)

It turns out I don't need Decades to get "Laugh-In," which I referred to above. It's recently been added to the line-up of Tubitv.com, with every season present. It's free and miracle of miracles, it's not geoblocked into Canada!

I've watched a few episodes so far and it's amazing how much slower paced it seems than I remember. Plus Lyndon Johnson and Richard Nixon jokes don't exactly stand the test of time. But it's fascinating to see how it evolved from that early first season as they were feeling their way into this very original format (there were a lot more sketches and musical performances than I recall and Goldie Hawn didn't play the ditzy blonde in her original appearances), the cast is amazing, Gary Owens still makes me laugh and just to be able to watch it again in full is terrific. 

You can find it here if you're curious to revisit Monday nights at 8 PM in the late 60s on NBC.

And if that doesn't tempt you, there are dozens of free older shows and movies that might. And despite what it appears, you don't have to register or sign in to see anything. 

July 28, 2020 9:00 pm  #7

New subs up and running. But I think in a different order than described above.