sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 23, 2020 5:47 pm  #1

WECK's Ridiculous Billboard Ad Strains Credibility In Buffalo

I haven't seen it, but according to a segment in an Alan Pergament column in The Buffalo News, there's at least one huge billboard on display in the city that boldly reads, "WECK AM & FM Is Buffalo's #1 Radio Station."

Clearly, by any measure, it's not even close to the top of the ratings. So how can they say that? When asked for comment, maverick independent owner Buddy Shula explained the message. "It is, in my opinion," he said. 

Sheesh! So the entire campaign is based on one biased person's thoughts about it. In the words of Pergament,"Perhaps the owner of the new WEBR can buy a billboard and proclaim it is “Buffalo’s new #1” radio station.”  

Talk about misleading advertising! I can only wonder what would happen if anyone in Toronto radio tried to pull that kind of advertising scam. 

I like WECK but this does nothing to help the rep. of the station. 

Buffalo News: Your questions: WECK claim and more

July 23, 2020 6:36 pm  #2

Re: WECK's Ridiculous Billboard Ad Strains Credibility In Buffalo

If they had a billboard that read, "We're Buffalo's #1 station!" and then added the tagline, "(In our opinion...)", that wouldn't raise credibility issues, and I think people would find it humorous and might be tempted to tune in.

Kind of like when Zoomer Radio bragged that they were "The new home of Roger Ashby...(we hope!)"

To pass off opinion as fact is definitely not a good way to build trust with an audience, that's for sure.

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

July 23, 2020 7:21 pm  #3

Meh.

CHR's have been using "#1 Hit Music Station" for branding for quite a while.

Only a fraction of listeners are even aware of radio ratings, and brands in every category use terms like "#1", "Favorite" or  "Best."

Whether it works of not, I don't know, but it's not something people will see and surmise that it's obviously not true.

July 23, 2020 7:34 pm  #4

RadioActive wrote:

Talk about misleading advertising! I can only wonder what would happen if anyone in Toronto radio tried to pull that kind of advertising scam. 

Kiss 92.5 and 999 Virgin Radio are both #1 according to their on-air imaging. 

July 23, 2020 8:38 pm  #5

RadioAaron wrote:

RadioActive wrote:

Kiss 92.5 and 999 Virgin Radio are both #1 according to their on-air imaging. 

Kiss 92.5 says "Toronto's #1 For Hit Music" and Virgin uses "Toronto's #1 Hit Music Station". To me at least Virgin's line is clearer that they are the most popular hit music station in Toronto, while the Kiss 92.5 slogan implies that they are Toronto's first choice or stop for hit music. If challenged it would be up to the stations to explain what they mean and prove their point. 

And what exactly is hit music? Current hits or older hits from last year?  Who determines this?  Does Virgin and Kiss decide what is hit music by their playlist or chart?  If that is the case then it is easy for them to claim to be #1 for HIT MUSIC (our hit music).  Maybe CHUM beats them both, but CHUM likely doesn't really care because they "Make Toronto Pop!"

Does Kiss or Virgin make Toronto Pop?    I don't think so 

Neither Kiss or Virgin are claiming to be Toronto's Number #1 Radio Station like WECK is saying in Buffalo.  Isn't this the same station that a couple of years ago advertised that they were America's most popular Oldies Station?  Sounds like the owner is a bit of a character and publicity hound.  It doesn't sound like the other stations in town take WECK very seriously since they are no threat...

July 23, 2020 8:55 pm  #6

These lies will not stand. All involved are hereby shitlisted. We just need the names for formality.

July 24, 2020 4:08 am  #7

With WJ..er WEBR 1440 going in more of a Standards direction, WECK should not be saying "Number 1 station", but instead saying Number one oldies station (as they HAVE been saying...)

OH and HEY? Their website is claiming that "WECK is the number one oldies station in AMERICA!" 
Agree? Disagree??   

Last edited by Radiowiz (July 24, 2020 4:13 am)

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 27, 2020 5:57 pm  #8

Hey all, 

I am the "Maverick" owner of WECK AM/FM. Buffalo's #1 Radio Station. I found this board in a google search. 

First let me set the record straight.....WECK subscribes to the Nielson ratings. Someone made a comment of "not a threat to other stations" and "not taken seriously". 

Well, just FYI, June 2020, WECK is a top 10 metro station persons 12 plus, BEATING huge Buffalo stations like WBUF Jack-FM, WEDG 103.3 FM, WLKK 107.7 FM, WGR 550AM, and coming tenths of a point from stations like WTSS STAR 102.5, WMSX 96.1 The Breeze. These are the facts. When I bought the stations they had a 0.9 share 3 years ago. We now have a 3.4 share 12 plus, and in the top 5 45 plus. Look it up!

So now, to the billboards. The reason the radio industry is dying is because there are not enough owners like me who like to stir it up. The stations I mentioned above are all owned by Wall Street and some of the biggest radio companies in the U.S.  WECK is the ONLY radio station in the top 10 that is independently owned. Why do you think WECK is having success? Do you THINK it could be because of marketing like this? I think it could be....

Too many stations have just coiled up and got boring. I don't subscribe to that. I am a competitor and in it to win. The billboard is my right for free speech, as our great President Donald Trump would agree with. It is my opinion, and i was very straight with the newspaper about that. 

Also, for your further edification, WECK is the number one RATED (By Nielson) in the entire U.S. for 12 plus share. There is not one single other Oldies station in the country that has more share than WECK. Fact! Thanks for letting me chime in here. 

Also, Canada has some great radio stations, you can hear me mid-days at CFLZ 101.1FM! Check it out. 

July 27, 2020 8:08 pm  #9

Mr. Shula, thanks for educating me on your station and philosophy, can't say I disagree with you.   I was incorrect in stating other stations in Buffalo weren't taking WECK seriously and not a threat.  Congratulations on WECK and the ratings growth over the past three years!

You are right about many stations coiling up and getting boring, there are big advantages being an independent station and you are taking advantage of this.

I am all for free speech as long as it is accurate, factual,  not misleading and doesn't hurt or demean others. Your ideas on marketing and shaking things up are what stations did decades ago, and it still works.

All the best.   I am intrigued that you are hosting mid days on More FM 101.1 so you are also familiar and well versed on Canadian radio.  I have been listening to them for the past 40 minutes and they are a good station, never listened to them before.  I will be sure to check out your mid day show and  America's No #1 Oldies Station WECK!

July 27, 2020 8:14 pm  #10

I, for one, welcome Buddy to SOWNY. He can be a bit bombastic, as some of the other boards across the border have discovered, but he's never dull! 

I believe he's also the first over-the-air station owner we've ever had on SOWNY, (David Marsden's terrific nythespirit.com is online only.) And to be fair, he comes by some of that confidence legitimately. WECK was a one-lung local station at 1230 AM that never really got a sniff in the ratings until Shula bought it, reformatted hit, hired some great veteran talent and wangled three FM repeater frequencies that made a huge difference in its coverage and sound. 

I like WECK, but my only real beef with it (Weck, beef see what I did there?) is that you can't get it over the air in Toronto. It's one of those Buffalo outlets I wish could squeeze through the noise on FM here.

Not sure if he'll be a regular poster, but I can say one thing for certain - like his station, he's certainly confident in his opinions and he's always entertaining. Even if you won't always agree with him.

July 27, 2020 9:01 pm  #11

At one time, in the 70's I believe, WECK was a consistent top 5 station in Buffalo with their Easy Listening format. As for their inferior GTA signal, streaming is an option.

July 27, 2020 9:23 pm  #12

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I was talking about listening to them without the Internet present, like in the car. (Although I know you can do that if you really want to go to the trouble - I don't!) I often find the stations I really like in this area are the ones I can never get over-the-air.

It never used to be that way. I remember when stations like WGRF, WHTT, WEDG and WBUF used to come in like locals. Now you're lucky if you can get any signal from them at all. Even WBEN on AM is tough to pull in. I miss those days. 

July 27, 2020 9:43 pm  #13

101.1 More FM is the old alt rock Planet FM. They are now classic hits and have recently had a power increase and so can be picked up more easily now. 

With the crowded radio dial in this area  it is getting harder to pick up the Buffalo stations but I can usually manage a good signal on Star FM . WEDG is also fairly steady. WHTT and WGRF are always there but a good signal is manageable only sometimes. WBUF I think has been hurt by the addition of the Grand at the same frequency. A lot depends on the radio and antenna but interference from adjacent signals has made for harder listening to Buffalo and Rochester.

I can receive WECK AM at home during the day with a signal slightly weaker than the current signal for CFAJ

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

July 27, 2020 10:18 pm  #14

WECK may beat out WBUF but digital storage costs nothing to run. WECK still has to pay all that staff.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 27, 2020 10:53 pm  #15

Thanks for the welcome. I can’t say I get that same passion on the Buffalo boards. i have always been a fan of Canadian radio. Being in Buffalo, we get plenty of stations. I grew up listening to Q107. WECK has a selling affiliation with CFLZ AND CJED. That is why I do a shift at 101.1, 11 to 2. I am not extremely familiar with the Canadian artists, but I enjoy artists like Rush, Triumph, Saga, Aldo Nova, Loverboy, etc. Itsca fun shift to do. I am very fortunate to be an independent owner, but my staff makes it great. They all have a passion for radio, and that’s what it takes. Feel free to keep in touch or email me direct at buddy@weckbuffalo.com. If you look at the Buffalo boards, you’ll see I do get nearly the welcome I get on this board. I have always loved Canada. Especially Molson Brodor Beer. 

July 27, 2020 11:03 pm  #16

Tried to listen to WECK but I have ad block and you can't listen unless you delete ad block. Probably not going to do that.  Gobal used to do this as well but have since had a change of heart.  No problem listening to 101.1 More FM. 

I was never really in the habit of listening to Buffalo FM radio since none of the stations came in consistently well in Kitchener/Waterloo.  Growing up in the 70's I could get the Buffalo AM stations WGR, WBEN and WKBW ok but I didn't really relate much to them.  I remember their music wasn't as good as CHUM and CFTR. 

July 27, 2020 11:05 pm  #17

that's right up there with "home of the world's best pie!"

July 27, 2020 11:26 pm  #18

paterson1 wrote:

Tried to listen to WECK but I have ad block and you can't listen unless you delete ad block. Probably not going to do that.

Most ad blockers allow you to turn them off for just one site if you want or whitelist a site to be allowed to place ads on just that page. It should be in the settings if you want to give it a try.

July 28, 2020 2:50 am  #19

Hi Buddy: I'll give lots of credit to anyone who can make a go of music radio on AM these days. Any thoughts about possibly hiring Sandy Beach as a music host in the wake of his departure from WBEN? It would be great to hear him do a music show again.

Last edited by Dale Patterson (July 28, 2020 5:05 am)

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 28, 2020 10:25 am  #20

Dale Patterson wrote:

I'll give lots of credit to anyone who can make a go of music radio on AM these days 

Although its not 100% music, AM 560 CFOS seems to be doing OK for Bayshore

K.K. 

July 28, 2020 10:55 am  #21

I scanned the dial this morning for Buffalo and some Canadian stations and the reception was iffy but sometimes OK. I used a few different radio's and received Jack FM 92.9 on one and the Grand 92.9 on another. Streaming is probably the best option but it's hard to let go a terrestrial radio hobby. Audio sample below

Stations include WHTT, WEDG, Star FM, 101.5, The Wolf, 101.1 More FM, MIX 100.5
( Rochester), 92.9 The Grand, WBLK, AM 1230 WECK, 98.9 The Buzz ( Rochester), Jack FM 92.9, Jewell 92.1 HD, WGRF 96.9.

MOSTLY BUFFAQLO RADIO JULY 28

Last edited by Fitz (July 28, 2020 11:09 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

July 28, 2020 11:01 am  #22

Kosmos Kagool wrote:

Dale Patterson wrote:

I'll give lots of credit to anyone who can make a go of music radio on AM these days 

Although its not 100% music, AM 560 CFOS seems to be doing OK for Bayshore

K.K. 

And, there's still CKDO in Oshawa. While they do have an FM repeater, the AM signal carries farther.

July 28, 2020 11:36 am  #23

Over the past few years, I've found CKDO increasingly hard to get over the air. Their FM signal is pretty weak and never did reach me here in northern North York.

But it's the AM signal's deterioration over the years that's surprising. It used to be OK. Now it's almost completely unlistenable and weak here. I have no idea what happened to it but when it made the switch from 1350 to 1580 it was much better. Even though it isn't really all that far away from me, it's pretty much gone these days. 

It used to propagate well. Not anymore. 

July 28, 2020 11:49 am  #24

I think it's just the huge amount of electromagnetic interference these days that's killing AM reception.  I'm in Etobicoke, and I can be listening to CKDO just fine in the car but drive a few blocks and it's gone, buried in noise.  Same for shortwave listening.  In my apartment, AM radio is almost impossible to listen to as the noise level is so high.  Turns my old Panasonic RF-2200 a super-sensitive paperweight 

I remember trying to get 107.7 in Scarborough and it was barely receivable there.

(For those who don't know it, the Panasonic RF-2200 is one of the finest AM receivers ever made)

Last edited by mjf (July 28, 2020 11:52 am)

July 28, 2020 2:13 pm  #25

Your comments concerning poor reception caught my attention.  I live in Whitby and have recently noticed a difference when tuning in to the AM band in my car;  while driving areound Durham region

Both 590 & 740 now come in with background noise and for as long as I can recall,  they have always been two of the strongest frequencies that I listen to. 

Last edited by Media Observer (July 28, 2020 5:52 pm)

July 28, 2020 9:00 pm  #26

Many cars over the last several years have terrible AM tuners.

July 28, 2020 9:29 pm  #27

I love the fact that your discussion board is a civil discussion board, with thoughts and rationale , all for your love of radio. Like me. I have been in Buffalo radio since I was 15.  I am now 53. I have always loved it. It’s really refreshing to see how you folks are civil.  Check out the Buffalo boards and see how the folks hate me. It’s really pathetic. They just criticize and Monday morning quarterbacking.  This board wants to make me move to Canada!  A dream of mine has always been to see the Northwest Territories. I hear the northern lights are beautiful.  Again, congrats on having a civil board. Although, the post headline put the arrow in me! LOL

July 28, 2020 9:37 pm  #28

Radio111 wrote:

Many cars over the last several years have terrible AM tuners.

Mine is a 2004 PT Cruiser with only 49,000 K on the odometer;  so the radio has not had a lot of use. 

Up until a few weeks ago my reception on AM 590 & 740 was always good and on par with what I get on the local CKDO 1580 frequency.    Something has definitely changed.

Last edited by Media Observer (July 28, 2020 9:39 pm)

July 29, 2020 7:41 am  #29

I live in the Avenue Rd/401 area and every time I have to run some errands, driving out of the parking lot, I get this horrible screaching interference that lasts for maybe 10 seconds. It makes all the Toronto AM stations barely audible.

July 29, 2020 8:16 am  #30

Buddy Shula: The SOWNY board is civil because our moderator, RA, does an excellent job keeping it that way. Yes, at times the discussions have been "heated" and "political". Conversations involving the CBC tend to to bring out strong opinions on both sides of the political spectrum. RA has always done an amazing job of restoring order to the classroom.