sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 23, 2020 11:30 am  #1

Fox Baseball Coverage To Use Sophisticated Computer Generated Crowds

When you watch a baseball game this shortened season on FOX, it may look like the old days, before social distancing became a household term. But it's not just "taking me out with the crowd," as the old song goes. These digital doppelgangers can do more than just sit there. 

Check this out from the Associated Press:

"The fans can do up to 500 actions, ranging from high fives during a home run to doing the wave. The system is also advanced where it can control the percentage of fans in the stadium during a game as well as who they are cheering for.

"For example, Saturday's Brewers-Cubs game could create a crowd that is 75% Cubs and 25% Brewers. It can also make it appear as if most of them have left if it is a 9-1 ballgame in the ninth inning.

"The system will also be able to adapt to the weather. When the temperature gets colder in the fall, winter jackets and hats can be added to the fans."

Now if we can just digitize the players and umpires, we can use computers to watch it for us!

Fox Taking Fans To The Ballgame With A Virtual Crowd

July 23, 2020 11:54 am  #2

Re: Fox Baseball Coverage To Use Sophisticated Computer Generated Crowds

and by extension of this technology, MLB/Fox will also be employing virtual audiences, virtual ratings, all for virtual advertisers.

So at the end of the season, it will all be a virtual loss...  make sure you wear a hat and your jacket.

July 23, 2020 8:12 pm  #3

And I thought their glowing puck was bad...

July 23, 2020 8:35 pm  #4

Radio111 wrote:

And I thought their glowing puck was bad...

"... Blue for a pass, and Red for a shot"

July 24, 2020 10:19 am  #5

In an already bizarre baseball season, there's one place where you not only can't watch the games in person at a stadium, you can't even listen to them on the radio. The Oakland A's have begun their season as the only team in any major league sport without any local coverage. 

Despite a last ditch effort to land a terrestrial broadcaster, the A's games are only available over the web this year. That means unless you want to use a computer or your phone to stream the games, you won't be able to hear them sitting on your back deck, driving in your car or out walking the dog. They are on the air outside the area on various stations -,just not in their own hometown. 

The future of the game or just plain suicide? I guess the "ratings" - if they have those online and if they ever release them - at the end of the season will tell the tale. 

The Sounds of Silence: No Radio in the Bay Area for Oakland Athletics Games    

July 24, 2020 6:51 pm  #6

Sacramento's KHTK has a 50K signal that can easily be heard in the Bay area. That is an option for A's fans.

July 24, 2020 7:30 pm  #7

You would think even a weak throwaway AM would be better than nothing. Even paying for airtime would be better for promotions than nothing. Looking at history, at one point in the 70s, they were on a ten watt college station which probably went no more than five miles. (edit: typed that before clicking on the article. My memory must be fairly good!)

It does appear KHTK is an option, by day, Though night also shows good coverage, you never know with non clear channel class B stations. I’ve never been there so I can’t speak for their coverage in the field. Will the A’s promote the Sacramento station to the Bay Area?

Last edited by Radio111 (July 24, 2020 7:34 pm)