sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 14, 2020 6:32 pm  #1

New Format in Peterborough

Some months back it was suggested (possibly by me) that 102.1 The Edge might try classic alternative. Well, they haven't yet although they're currently taking subtle on air shots at now-serious rival Indie 88.
However, the format has surfaced in Peterborough. As of this week MY Broadcasting has rebranded its all-sports station as FREQ 90.5 - Alternative Rewind. I had a chance to hear it for a while today and this has possibilities for those who grew up listening to CFNY's brand of music back in the day. It's currently announcer-free but the imaging is quite good and the mix consists mainly of 90's and 2000's with a smattering of 80's here and there. 
All sports is tough to make a go of in the smaller markets so a flip was inevitable although they did stick with sports for a while. It's hard to say if Peterborough can support this one, especially with the signal's relatively small footprint but time will tell.

July 14, 2020 8:04 pm  #2

Re: New Format in Peterborough

I have noticed during the last 3 or 4 days that Indie 88 HD2 has been silent. They tried active rock for a bit and then more or less mirrored the main station and I could not really figure out a reason for that. Not sure if the silence is a tech issue right now. Maybe they will try classic alternative and beat others to the punch. I still think they should try triple A which has never been attempted in Toronto except maybe CFNY around 1990/91 when the format did not really exist.

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

July 15, 2020 8:39 am  #3

kevjo wrote:

The Wolf was once unstoppable but a combination of increased competition and some programming misfires have hurt their numbers in recent years. 

Well, also, The Wolf has been sold and resold.
I forget who originally put Wolf on the air, but I do know it was owned by Power Broadcasting at one point, then later sold to Corus, which owns Q 107.  For a short while, both Q and Wolf shared the exact same playlist. (along with BIG FM, etc) Hopefully that has stopped happening.

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 15, 2020 8:56 am  #4

I wonder what contests they'll  try doing now. 
They already had some interesting ones with the old format, including this one:
http://sowny.net/viewtopic.php?id=958

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 15, 2020 9:19 am  #5

Radiowiz wrote:

kevjo wrote:

The Wolf was once unstoppable but a combination of increased competition and some programming misfires have hurt their numbers in recent years. 

Well, also, The Wolf has been sold and resold.
I forget who originally put Wolf on the air, but I do know it was owned by Power Broadcasting at one point, then later sold to Corus, which owns Q 107.  For a short while, both Q and Wolf shared the exact same playlist. (along with BIG FM, etc) Hopefully that has stopped happening.

The switch to the WOLF happened at 6pm Valentines Day 1992. Easy Listening to AOR. Power Broadcasting still owned the station at this time. Corus took over in 2000.

July 15, 2020 4:52 pm  #6

One small correction. The WOLF never shared Q107's playlist. That was one aspect of the station that continued to operate independently from the other Corus rockers. I do know that, besides Kingston, 101.1 in Barrie was cloning Q's playlist for a while. I believe that was discontinued when Corus moved Q back to more of a straight rock sound.

July 15, 2020 5:37 pm  #7

kevjo wrote:

One small correction. The WOLF never shared Q107's playlist. That was one aspect of the station that continued to operate independently from the other Corus rockers. I do know that, besides Kingston, 101.1 in Barrie was cloning Q's playlist for a while. I believe that was discontinued when Corus moved Q back to more of a straight rock sound.

Correct. And that playlist at the time originated from ROCK 101 Vancouver.

Currently, The Wolf shares a song-by-song playlist with DAVE Kitchener, and I *think* Power 97 Winnipeg.