sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

July 1, 2020 7:33 am  #1

It is Canada Day eh? Time for your fave Cancon songs and one bad one!

Happy Canada Day to all today!

Let's celebrate in style today! 

What are your top 5 Canadian Songs and what is one bad Canadian Song, think back to the 70's for that...because Cancon was pretty awful!

My top 5 are:

1. The Guess Who American Woman

2. Raise a little hell- Trooper 

3. Wheatland- Oscar Peterson

4. Ordinary Day- Great Big Sea and

5. If I had a million dollars- Barenaked Ladies

Here is my honourable mention Canadian Song too eh? They sang this at Royal Canadian Air Farce tapings to warm up the audience and it got everyone in a good mood...

Please enjoy!

The world would be so good if it weren't for some people...

July 1, 2020 9:26 am  #2

Re: It is Canada Day eh? Time for your fave Cancon songs and one bad one!

Well, I will accept the challenge. But I do take exception that 1970's cancon was awful.  Like any music there were great and lousy songs. Let's not forget that the 70's also gave us Muskrat Love, Disco Duck and The Night Chicago Died all of which were not cancon, but all were dreadful songs...

Top Five

Canadian Railroad Trilogy- Gordon Lightfoot (The Gord's Gold version recorded in the 70's is better than the original from 1967 which was commissioned for a CBC centennial TV special).  A song that actually teaches us a little about Canada's history and the great railroad.

Some Sing, Some Dance- Michel Pagliaro, the first Canadian to have a gold record in french and english. Pagliaro was on the CHUM owned Much Records label and recorded this song at Toronto Sound Studios. One of the nicest string arrangements for any pop song in my opinion. The late Ben McPeek arranged the strings for this song that was a hit in Western Canada but not much in the east.

Hasn't Hit Me Yet- Blue Rodeo at their best from the classic and most successful 1993 album Five Days in July.

Fifty Mission Cap- Tragically Hip at their best with a song that brings a tear to the eye for any leaf fan.  Great lyrics, music and you can always sing along to it, and play it loud!

Call Me Maybe- Carly Jepson's pop masterpiece is the fourth biggest selling digital single of all time, and one of the biggest selling songs by a female artist ever. The song is 100% cancon, and the video produced in BC was one of the most played on video channels around the world. A song that will be a pop standard for decades to come.

Now The Fun Part...The worst (I cheated I have two!) However typically Canadian both of these songs are so bad, they are actually cool....

Rocketman- William Shatner is overacting, too earnest and not really singing but this funny as hell..

Rock 'em, Sock 'em Techno- Don Cherry tries to rap, tries to sing, tries to drop the beat, and doesn't manage to do any of these things, but he gets an A+ for the effort... 

July 1, 2020 10:46 am  #3

Before I start I want to make it clear I'm not trolling with some of my selections
My Top 5:

Before I start I want to make it clear I'm not trolling with some of my selections
My Top 5:
1.  The Guess Who -- American Woman
It's amazing how magic can happen by accident.

2.  Lighthouse -- Sunny days
The song just screams summer no matter what time of year you hear it.

3.  Men's Room -- Baby I love you.
I think it's better than the original.  It was done apparently by a bunch of session musicians and singers around 1984.

4. The kings -- This beat goes on/Switchin' to glide
If you're going to have just one hit, make it a big one.

5.  The Stampeders -- Sweet city woman
Seriously!  I must be the only one around here who actually likes this song.  Even it's overplay years ago didn't kill it for me.  Then again, I really like this band.  The Stampeders are one of those groups who had a pretty diverse sound throughout all their hits.  I personally think they were highly underrated. Amazing how magic can happen by accident.

My all time bad song:

Terry Jacks -- Seasons in the Sun

The thing is, when it first came out.  I loved the song.  Couldn't get enough of it.
Now I've had enough.

July 1, 2020 11:10 am  #4

Peter the K wrote:

My all time bad song:

Terry Jacks -- Seasons in the Sun

The thing is, when it first came out.  I loved the song.  Couldn't get enough of it.
Now I've had enough.

You cheated Peter.  It's supposed to be the Worst Canadian Song, not the Worst Song Worldwide! : )) 

p.s. A close 2nd is Dan Hill's "Sometimes When We Touch"

Last edited by g121 (July 1, 2020 11:11 am)

July 1, 2020 11:10 am  #5

the best one for today

Last edited by the original hank (July 1, 2020 11:51 pm)

July 1, 2020 11:17 am  #6

Top Five:

Sundown - Gordon Lightfoot
Old Man - Neil Young
Share The Land - The Guess Who
Let It Ride - BTO
Lost Together - Blue Rodeo 

Worst:

Alanis Morissette – Too Hot 

Last edited by cash (July 1, 2020 11:18 am)

July 1, 2020 12:56 pm  #7

My worst of the worst CanCon is an easy choice. "Sometimes When We Touch" by Dan Hill. 

Sorry if the honesty is too much. 

To my ears, this is the musical equivalent of a Tom's Place live spot, nails on a blackboard and Roseanne singing the national anthem all rolled into one. I can't get to my radio fast enough to turn the station when it comes on. They could use it to torture spies and get them to talk.

July 1, 2020 4:01 pm  #8

Five likes - in no particular order:

1. Barenaked Ladies - "It's All Been Done" (1999)
2. David Foster - "Winter Games" (1988)
3. Felix Cartal & Lights - "Love Me" (2019)
4. Our Lady Peace - "Innocent" (2002)
5. Marianas Trench - "Haven't Had Enough" (2012)

One dislike: Nickelback - "How You Remind Me" (2001)

July 1, 2020 4:50 pm  #9

5 Canadian favs .. in that I keep listening to them frequently : )) ..

The Canadian cringe worthy .. the aforementioned "Seasons in the Sun" & "Sometimes When We Touch" : ((
and I'll sneak in a guilty pleasure .. some Goddo : )) .. perfect for a cheesy teen flick ..

July 1, 2020 6:23 pm  #10

RadioActive wrote:

My worst of the worst CanCon is an easy choice. "Sometimes When We Touch" by Dan Hill...  They could use it to torture spies and get them to talk.

That would make it the official song to use for extraordinary rendition...

July 1, 2020 6:55 pm  #11

Five Goodies:
Geoff Hughes - Happy Birthday Kid
Saga - Wind Him Up
Guess Who - Dancin' Fool
Tragically Hip - Flamenco
Rough Trade Fashion Victim

One Bad One (That I Love):
Men's Room - Sign of the Times

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

July 1, 2020 6:58 pm  #12

Five Goodies:
Shari Ulrich - Bad Bad Girl
Rough Trade - All Touch
Pukka Orchestra - Listen to the Radio
The Box - L'Affaire Du Mortier (Say To Me)
David Roberts - Boys of Autumm

One Bad One (That I Love):
Chester - Make My Life a Little Bit Brighter

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

July 1, 2020 7:16 pm  #13

@Charlie:
I actually prefer the post-Bachman era.  What is it you find hard to listen to in that era?

Cheers,
Jody Thornton

July 1, 2020 9:21 pm  #14

I'm probably going to think of another five later on, but these five CanCon's jump off the top of my head (in no particular order):

1. Saga - Scratching the Surface
2. Parachute Club - Rise Up
3. Red Rider - Lunatic Fringe
4. Spoons - Romantic Traffic
5. Songbird - Dirty Work

(Honorable mention: Pagliaro - Some Sing, Some Dance).

The worst? Poppy Family - Which Way You Goin', Billy? And I actually like some of Terry Jacks and the Poppy's songs (or at least one, Where Evil Grows, and please don't judge), but this one is treacly beyond description. 

(Honorable mention: Gale Garnett - We'll Sing in the Sunshine. That song just bugs me). 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...The place where all the cool tunes hang out!

July 1, 2020 9:39 pm  #15

I agree with a great many of the titles listed here, but why is there no love for Rush's "Spirit of Radio"?  technically and creatively, one of the best Canadian rock songs ever written IMHO.

For the posters who were around when the song was released (i was a pup in 1980), how was it received at the time?

BTW, the CBC show is pretty good.  performances by Lorraine Segato, Avril Lavigne, Alan Doyle, Sarah McLachlan, new acts and Quebec artists.  haven't seen Alanis yet.  well produced.  presenters are typical Canada Day dry.  Serena Ryder is a talking head, but Yves-Pierre Lord is dynamic.

July 1, 2020 11:10 pm  #16

Favourite Can-Con:

I'm Scared - Burton Cummings
Here I Go Again - Edward Bear
Can't Depend on Love - Gord Lightfoot
Sweet Lullabye - Lighthouse
Enchanted Island - Four Lads

Honourable mentions - "Lady Luck" - Ken Tobias, "Ain't a Girl Allowed to Cry" - Pat Hervey

Worst - "Love Me, Love Me, Love" - Frank Mills with "You Needed Me" by Anne Murray a very close second.

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

July 2, 2020 6:08 pm  #17

(In no particular order)

1. Canadian Railroad Trilogy   - Gordon Lightfoot
2. Did She Mention My Name?  - Gordon Lightfoot
3. Summer of 69                      - Bryan Adams
4. Undun                                  - The Guess Who
5. American Woman                - The Guess Who

The worst:  Some worthy ones have already been mentioned.  I'll go with "From New York to LA" by Patsy Gallant.  I'm no separatist.  But to turn that Gilles Vigneault anthem into a  lousy pop song like this was a crime.

Last edited by dieter (July 2, 2020 6:09 pm)