sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 30, 2020 8:42 pm  #1

WABC Radio To Air One Time Oldies Special This Weekend

It's a legendary radio station that long since abandoned its classic Top 40 days, a format that saw it achieve the highest ratings in the medium's history. A lot has changed since then - including ownership - and it's become known as a defender of Donald Trump. But this charitable event, to support First Responders, will hopefully be devoid of politics. 

It's called The All American Weekend and according to the website will be:

"Featuring the music and the stories behind the hits with interviews from Felix Cavaliere of the Rascals, Tommy James, Peter Noone of Herman’s Hermits, Gary Lewis, Bobby Rydell, Larry Chance of the Earls, Jay Siegel’s Tokens, Bob Miranda of the Happenings, Bob Cowsill of the Cowsills and Florence LaRue of the Fifth Dimension and many more special guests to be announced."

It takes place - when else? - July 4th, with a repeat on July 5th and is available on the Internet.

The special is three hours long and whatever you think of the station now, it will be good to hear that music back on 770. No word if the old jingles will be included.

The All American Weekend

June 30, 2020 9:17 pm  #2

Re: WABC Radio To Air One Time Oldies Special This Weekend

For several years, the station annually devoted an entire weekend to WABC Musicradio Airchecks.

https://www.musicradio77.com/WABC%20Rewound.html

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 30, 2020 10:37 pm  #3

I remember that. I think it was an annual event during the U.S. Memorial Day weekend if memory serves.

They also used to have a 3-hour Saturday night show hosted by Mark Simone that relived the glory days of Musicradio WABC. It was a must hear for me.

And then when new ownership took over, it appeared they couldn't get far enough away from their own past and completely cut ties or any references to the Top 40 era. This latest ownership at least seems willing to pay homage to that storied period. I'll be curious to hear how this show sounds.  

July 1, 2020 11:57 pm  #4

i listen to WABC every morning and have for the past 6 months or so.

They've been promoting this July 4th event like crazy. 

Let's hope it lives up to the hype.

July 2, 2020 8:55 pm  #5

Speaking of WABC, wouldn't it be nice to be this rich? The new owner of the station lives near Long Island and was upset he couldn't get the 50,000 watt clear channel "goes all over the Eastern seaboard" signal clearly. So what did he do? 

He bought a local FM, WLIR, so he could simulcast 770's programming on it and hear his own station.

From Newsday:

"I've lived [in the Hamptons] for the last ninety days [and] I was getting a lousy [WABC] signal out here," [said John Catsimatidis.] "WABC is a 50,000 watt clear-channel station at night that you can get in 50 states but not eastern Long Island for some reason [so] when the opportunity came along to buy an FM station where I could simulcast, I bought [WLIR.]" 

Hasn't he ever heard of streaming? 

I'm not sure what I would do if I had a zillion bucks, but I don't think it would be this!

WABC radio's owner buys East End's WLIR-FM for simulcasting

July 2, 2020 9:11 pm  #6

The station owner is giving serious consideration to running for the mayors job in NYC

He liked to get rid of comrade Bill de Blasio

Who wouldn't?

July 3, 2020 8:23 am  #7

WABC's signal does have a significant null to the east. Why waste a 50K signal over mostly water. I agree, streaming would be a much simpler and less expensive solution to Mr. Catsimatidis's listening dilemma. But when you are worth $3.4B, what he paid for a small Long Island radio station was probably pocket change to him.

July 5, 2020 11:04 am  #8

I listened to the oldies special last night for a few hours. It wasn't the WABC homecoming or nostalgia program that I thought it would have been but I did find it interesting for other reasons.

What struck me the most was that even though they did acknowledge the top 40 past of the station and how it broke a lot of artists and songs,  this wasn't really the purpose of the show. The music actually wasn't that big a part of the special.

The recognition of front line workers and general theme of US July 4th patriotism was the main jist of the program, and I enjoyed the various interviews and clips with the artists and politicians.

What also became apparent to me was that for all of it's good humour, swagger, confidence and larger than life persona, New Yorkers and the city are still hurting.  I don't think they have actually gotten over  9-11 (really what city could have) and the state and city have been ravaged by COVID-19.  New York state has had 4 times the rate of infections and deaths as Canada, with most of these happening in NYC.

The program was very human, very local and very New York. I actually liked all of the small town features like the live credits to the sponsors over and over during the show, and the host reading live local commercials.  Very small town but also appropriate for a special like this.

Anyway my take, it wasn't at all what I was expecting, but certainly worth listening to.

Last edited by paterson1 (July 5, 2020 11:57 am)

July 5, 2020 12:59 pm  #9

I listened as well.

I enjoyed it but I wouldn't call it riveting.

Compliments to the host who pointed out at least once that the reverb that was part of the stations magic back in the day had been added but just for the July 4th special. I thought that was a nice touch. Sounded great!   

July 5, 2020 2:38 pm  #10

Dan Ingram was on air on WCBS-FM a number of years ago during one of his weekend shifts, when he made note of the reverb that was all over the station.

"Life without echo," he said, "is really no life at all." 

Words to live by to this day. 

July 6, 2020 10:39 am  #11

Dutifully, at 6:00 p.m. EDT Saturday, I tuned in with anticipation. Just a few minutes in, the host announced that America's Mayor, Rudy Giuliani would be joining in throughout the program.

I shut it off then and there.