sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 23, 2020 3:33 pm  #1

Corus Gets Rights To NBC Peacock Streaming Shows In Canada

Speaking of Corus' latest moves, this may help fill some gaps in their schedules.

Corus Entertainment makes exclusive deal for NBC’s Peacock programming

Press release

What the article and the release don't say is exactly where these shows will be seen. Global? Corus' cable entities? Or perhaps part of their streaming service, Stack TV, which frankly, currently doesn't have much to recommend it. 

What it does indicate, to me, is that Peacock will probably never be available in Canada now that a Canadian company holds rights to much of its marquee original programming. Last September, I asked an NBC rep if the service would ever come north of the border. She said not at launch. And now it appears, not ever.  

June 23, 2020 5:55 pm  #2

Re: Corus Gets Rights To NBC Peacock Streaming Shows In Canada

I would think most of the programming from NBC's Peacock programming will end up on Stack TV with some on Global. They seem to be doing what Crave and Bell have done, partnering with various large US pay streaming services.

CTV over the years has featured various uncut HBO programming which doesn't normally appear on regular commercial television anywhere.  This is an advantage that both CTV and Global have that they can cherry pick some  pay tv programming from their US or British partners. I remember it was a big deal when CTV aired Game of Thrones Season One 4 years ago uncut to counter the Olympics on CBC.  Also it is great for the consumer because it was free.

Anyway, this arrangement is actually the best for all concerned since it is overall cheaper and better variety for the consumer. The US pay services like HBO, CBS Access, Showtime etc. don't need to charge, advertise and market separately for Canada, and this greatly cuts down costs and increases their chance of success in a much smaller Canadian market.  Canadian services like Crave, Stack TV or even CBC Gem acquire great quality international programming and a much expanded variety of services for their customers at no additional cost to the consumer.

July 29, 2020 10:41 am  #3

Well, now we know at least part of the plans for the Peacock originals. And it shouldn't surprise anyone that, despite the COVID interruption, they're not ending up on free-to-air Global. 

Corus has confirmed that some of the new streamers' hottest shows will go to its cable properties. The highly anticipated version of the Aldous Huxley novel "Brave New World" will debut on Showcase. So will the David Schwimmer vehicle "Intelligence." And then there's "Interrogation," and "No Activity' both of which originate from CBS All Access. Meanwhile, another CBS All-Access show called "Why Women Kill" will go to the W Network. 

It's just another sign of how Canadians get cheated when it comes to streaming U.S. services. We can't get Peacock here and probably never will. The CBS service is available in Canada, but with Corus grabbing most of the marquee shows, there's not much point in paying for shows that will be blacked out. 

Good for Corus, I suppose, for getting the rights to them. But for those of us who would prefer to get everything we pay for in one package, we're out of luck - again.

Corus Outlines Line-up Of Peacock Shows .   

July 29, 2020 12:20 pm  #4

It's companies like Corus that are driving people to a VPN. 

RadioWiz & RadioQuiz are NOT the same person. 
RadioWiz & THE Wiz are NOT the same person.

July 29, 2020 3:08 pm  #5

Even using a VPN doesn't help as most services recognize you are using a VPN and block you anyway.

July 29, 2020 3:20 pm  #6

I was able to watch content from peacock using ExpressVPN. Had to try a couple of different servers though.  In any event, the free content is pretty weak at this point.  I found more stuff on Tubi that interested me.

July 29, 2020 3:37 pm  #7

I was always hoping that when streaming became the next big thing, these idiotic border restrictions would disappear. But I guess the problem of rights is a bigger one than they could solve and there's too much money in selling them to the big companies here to resist the temptation. Plus, I doubt the U.S. complexes give much thought to Canada.

Still, there's nothing stopping an owner from securing full North American rights to its material and selling it across the continent. If I'm not mistaken, Disney+ is available in Canada without entire attractions from the service being parcelled out elsewhere. I wish more would do that, instead of letting Bell or Corus buy everything. 

I'm tired of "HBO Light" and some of the other incarnations of American outlets that we're forced to constantly endure on both cable and the web. As a one time C-Band satellite dish owner, I well recall the days of screaming about "open skies." We never did get them. But I can dream, can't I?

(Note: That dream is expressly prohibited in Canada and is only available on HBO Max and Hulu, which are not for sale in this country for any reason under severe penalty of law. A public service message from your local broadcast authorities...)

July 30, 2020 9:45 pm  #8

But the upside in this would be the fact that many people will now get much of NBC Peacock programming for free if they already receive Showcase and W, which millions do. Between the two channels they will be carrying all of the hot new programming will they not?  And as far as old NBC programming like Cheers and Frasier, they are already available anyway. So this arrangement also has it's benefits too!  Many people will like the fact that they don't need to subscribe to NBC Peacock to get most of this programming. 

July 30, 2020 10:48 pm  #9

I am in the viewing group that patterson1 describes. 

Add CTV Sci-Fi, Drama and others to the mix and many of the US streamed shows are available to me on channels that I have had since long before I upgraded to a Rogers NextBox.  While not all new shows are initially available due to streaming;  I find that many are quickly sold soon after to Canadian outlets.