sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 12, 2020 2:42 pm  #1

David Marsden Gets Animated In New Rush "Spirit Of Radio" Video

Here’s something you don’t see everyday – a new video from Rush. One that’s animated no less. And one that features a drawn version of the great David Marsden hard at work at CFNY. It’s part of the 40th anniversary of the “Permanent Waves” LP that featured the now iconic “Spirit of Radio” track. Several new editions of the album have been re-released with extras and the video is designed to promote it.

The animated track contains a host of Easter Eggs for fans, including one shown below of the Toronto radio dial, with CFNY’s 102.1 frequency being pictured on the neck of a guitar. There’s also a tribute to drummer Neil Peart, who recently passed away and is obviously not forgotten. It’s a pretty neat way to celebrate a song that has become a major touchstone for those who lived through that CFNY era.

And Marsden has never looked better!

Rush releases official conceptual animated music video for "The Spirit of Radio"

June 12, 2020 4:12 pm  #2

Re: David Marsden Gets Animated In New Rush "Spirit Of Radio" Video

Still the irony of this is that neither the song nor the band were on CFNY's playlist. In fact I doubt they have ever been heard during any incarnation at 102.1 on the dial in Toronto. Of course for those who were unfamiliar with 'NY's infamous slug line, the song is just a great tribute to the medium in general.

June 12, 2020 4:59 pm  #3

Is the guy in the back Claude?

June 12, 2020 7:18 pm  #4

kevjo wrote:

Still the irony of this is that neither the song nor the band were on CFNY's playlist. In fact I doubt they have ever been heard during any incarnation at 102.1 on the dial in Toronto. Of course for those who were unfamiliar with 'NY's infamous slug line, the song is just a great tribute to the medium in general.

As an avid CFNY listener I have always thought about the same thing. I would not say that Rush was never played on NY but they along with Triumph, Moxy etc found  a much more receptive home at Q 107 and even CHUM FM until the flip to AC.

Last edited by Fitz (June 12, 2020 9:12 pm)

Cool Airchecks and More:
http://www.lettheuniverseanswer.com/

June 12, 2020 7:58 pm  #5

kevjo wrote:

Still the irony of this is that neither the song nor the band were on CFNY's playlist. In fact I doubt they have ever been heard during any incarnation at 102.1 on the dial in Toronto.

Perhaps Rush got some airplay during their FM 102 Modern Rock days during the late 80s? Their music certainly would've fit in during that incarnation.

BTW, I can't listen to the song without thinking of this! 

PJ

ClassicHitsOnline.com...If you enjoy hearing the same 200 songs over and over again...listen to the other guys!

June 13, 2020 10:28 am  #6

I notice the name Jim Ladd in the video.  The Laurel Canyon film I watched the other night; on Crave was narrated by a Jim Ladd.  same guy?  GREAT VIDEO.  Your immortalized David.

June 13, 2020 10:46 am  #7

John D wrote:

I notice the name Jim Ladd in the video.  The Laurel Canyon film I watched the other night; on Crave was narrated by a Jim Ladd.  same guy?  GREAT VIDEO.  Your immortalized David.

Have not seen the latest film about the canyon but I did see the last one by Jakob  Dylan and that one was excellent.. Regarding Jim Ladd it's probably the same one. He made his mark on KLOS FM and was the inspiration behind The last DJ by Tom Petty which was about the end of free form radio.

Last edited by Fitz (June 13, 2020 10:53 am)

Cool Airchecks and More:

June 13, 2020 4:22 pm  #8

This jam got plenty of spins on 102.1.

Last edited by torontomike (June 13, 2020 4:28 pm)

June 13, 2020 11:13 pm  #9

Thanks Fitz, very much.

June 14, 2020 1:06 am  #10

I know some may be surprised to learn Rush were played on CFNY.

As Ivar Hamilton (at that time he was Music Director at CFNY) wrote on Facebook - What is shown is David at CHUM-FM Circa 1974 and later at CFNY in 1980. David is now acknowledged by Alex Lifeson as the first DJ to EVER play Rush on the radio. I

DM - I didn't want this to be about me - alas just setting the record straight. I think its a great bit of animation and in particular the memory of Neil Peart. The comments on the YouTube playback of this are truly amazing with well over 100,000 views. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_QtO0Rhp0w

June 14, 2020 9:32 am  #11

John D wrote:

Thanks Fitz, very much.

Here's Jim Ladd speaking about the Last DJ:

and here's the song by Petty:

Cool Airchecks and More:

June 21, 2020 10:14 am  #12

Mr. Marsden lends his voice and time to this week's Broadcast Dialogue podcast. Worth 23 minutes of your time if you're a fan or interested in The Spirit of Radio.

David Marsden on the Spirit of Radio and Staying Curious