sowny.net | The Southern Ontario/WNY Radio-TV Forum

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

June 9, 2020 5:08 pm  #1

Wendy Mesley Suspended From CBC

June 9, 2020 10:26 pm  #2

Re: Wendy Mesley Suspended From CBC

I bet there's tape they're trying to get ahead of.

June 9, 2020 10:46 pm  #3

Chrisphen wrote:

I bet there's tape they're trying to get ahead of.

nah, just mentioned during an editorial or pre-production meeting on Thursday of last week...

June 10, 2020 12:03 am  #4

The rumor is they were discussing the merits of having a guest on a panel and she quoted verbatim something the potential guest had said or written in the past, which contained the n-word and immediately apologized. 

We've officially reached the point of "cancel culture" getting out of control.  If you can't quote someone when discussing someone's suitability as a guest during an academic discussion in a production meeting for a program about race we've gone too far.  In a polysci class in university if the professor does a class on propaganda and the class studies examples from WWII does that make the professor and students anti-Semites?  The answer today seems to be yes.

Last edited by Prod Guy (June 10, 2020 12:18 am)

June 10, 2020 12:33 am  #5

@prodguy, without any real information as to the reason for her suspension, i tend to agree.  i read the CBC announcement and it did not mention why.  well.... WHY? 

or, why would you announce it without a justified position?  particularly if the offence didn't occur on air.  Mesley is one of the senior people at CBC news.  there needs to be some explanation, surely, and i'm waiting to find out.

June 10, 2020 7:04 am  #6

Her statue will be toppled this afternoon.     The end.

June 10, 2020 10:45 am  #7

Prod Guy wrote:

We've officially reached the point of "cancel culture" getting out of control.  If you can't quote someone when discussing someone's suitability as a guest during an academic discussion in a production meeting for a program about race we've gone too far.  In a polysci class in university if the professor does a class on propaganda and the class studies examples from WWII does that make the professor and students anti-Semites?  The answer today seems to be yes.

Apparently, you also cannot quote MLK:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/professor-under-investigation-for-reading-mlks-letter-from-birmingham-jail-containing-n-word

June 10, 2020 11:23 am  #8

Prod Guy wrote:

The rumor is they were discussing the merits of having a guest on a panel and she quoted verbatim something the potential guest had said or written in the past, which contained the n-word and immediately apologized. 

agreed ..   

i'm outraged about this "age of outrage" !!

June 10, 2020 11:24 am  #9

g121 wrote:

Prod Guy wrote:

agreed ..   

i'm outraged about this "age of outrage" !!

Please stop triggering me!

Last edited by Saul (June 10, 2020 11:24 am)

June 10, 2020 1:04 pm  #10

Prod Guy wrote:

(My Bold)

We've officially reached the point of "cancel culture" getting out of control.  If you can't quote someone when discussing someone's suitability as a guest during an academic discussion in a production meeting for a program about race we've gone too far.

Someone in the discussion wasn't willing to accept Mesley's "immediate" apology. Did they make an issue of it in the room or decide to kick it up a notch? Will we soon find out that CBC overreacted?

June 13, 2020 2:43 pm  #11

Well, now they've gone and done it!

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/cbc-suspends-remaining-weekly-episodes-002144085.html

I suppose we'll eventually learn the rest of this story but it should come from the corp and it should come now.
They're not being fair to Mesley by allowing this to linger.

June 15, 2020 12:46 am  #12

There is such a thing as being too woke.  Who wins by doing this? 
Also, this is the same network that let Don Cherry say xenophobic things on air for 35 years.

June 15, 2020 9:57 am  #13

Surprised she would use that word in any context. It's easier just to say the "N-word."

"Life without echo is really no life at all." - Dan Ingram

June 15, 2020 10:15 am  #14

I heard a guest on a talk show Monday suggest they were looking for a reason to dump Mesley and her high salary and that this was the perfect excuse. Is it true? I admit I have no idea, but it's one theory being floated. It does seem pretty extreme to fire or suspend a longtime and time honoured employee for the sin of simply reading out a quote attributed to someone else - especially in the confines of a private meeting that wasn't on air. 

June 15, 2020 10:18 am  #15

That might be true. But not only did they fire her, they RUINED HER REPUTATION.

June 15, 2020 10:41 am  #16

Rumours have been around for years that there a few folks at the Corps that rank rather high on the 'bitchyness' scale...Wendy and Diana Swain apparently can't stand each other from their days at Undercurrents...you can add Erica Johnson to that mix too with their work on Marketplace...might be an opening for some to get the knives out?

June 25, 2020 10:30 pm  #17

CBC (sort of) announces punishment.

https://outline.com/mJhjC5

Last edited by Media Observer (June 25, 2020 10:31 pm)

September 24, 2020 2:16 pm  #18

Wendy Mesley a host without a show after CBC’s The Weekly taken off air
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/wendy-mesley-a-host-without-a-show-after-cbcs-the-weekly-taken-off-air

September 24, 2020 9:49 pm  #19

She'll probably just fill in on CBC National for a while until they can find something new for her.  I doubt that CBC would get rid of her (but if they did, just look for CTV to pick Wendy up. They don't seem to mind hiring former CBC scandalized hosts).